GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Canyon: Good Things Come In Small Packages

15K views 94 replies 46 participants last post by  rustywrench 
#1 · (Edited)
Smaller size and maneuverable solution is all new for pickup customers
GMInsideNews.com
By: GMI Staff
7-21-2014

The growing popularity of smaller vehicles applies to pickups as well, and customers say maneuverability is a top reason for choosing a midsize pickup. The 2015 GMC Canyon delivers the right size vehicle for consumers who are looking for a more agile pickup.

“An increasing number of customers don’t need the full capability of a full-size pickup, yet desire the functionality a pickup offers,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “These customers appreciate the smaller size of mid-sized pickups, with their ability to easily fit in a garage, travel downtown areas of big cities, and navigate crowded parking lots. The all-new 2015 GMC Canyon represents the best of both worlds in this sense.”

Packed with capability and comfort, the 2015 GMC Canyon is the smaller sibling of the 1500 Sierra full-size pickup, and the 2500 and 3500 Sierra Heavy Duty pickups. The 2015 GMC Canyon short-bed crew cab is 212.7 inches long, 17 inches shorter than a comparable Sierra 1500, making it an easier fit in many parking spots and garages. Canyon’s overall width of 74.3 inches is five inches narrower than Sierra and two inches wider than the Terrain compact SUV, providing easier maneuverability around town. Yet the smaller size does not sacrifice functionality or capability.

“We engineered the 2015 GMC Canyon to be very capable and functional for mid-size pick up owners,” said Anita Burke, vehicle chief engineer for Canyon. “We know customers have varied needs for a pickup in this segment, using their vehicle to commute to work during the week, transport children to school and other activities. But on the weekend, they have a very different set of needs that match their active lifestyles. The 2015 Canyon delivers on all these needs.”

Truck Make & Model---Length (in/cm)---Width (in/cm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Canyon short box crew 4x4, 3.6L V-6---------212.7/5403---74.3/1886
2014 Sierra 1500 short bed crew 4x4, 5.3L V-8-----229.5/5829---80.0/2032
2014 Ram 1500 short bed crew 4x4, 5.7L V-8-------229.0---79.4
2014 Ford F-150 short bed crew 4x4. 5.0L V-8------231.9---79.2*
2015 Toyota Tundra short bed crew 4x4, 5.7L V-8---228.9---79.9

*excluding mirrors
Source: Manufacturer press releases

The 2015 Canyon has a tight turning radius of approximately 41 feet (12.6 meters), making it easier to maneuver when parking or backing into tight spots. And features like electric power steering provide easier maneuverability in tight situations.

“With its smaller size and associated nimble nature, Canyon provides pickup capability and exceptional comfort in an efficient and more manageable package,” Aldred said.

The 2015 GMC Canyon arrives in showrooms this fall.

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=3688903356001&playerID=1055201185001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAA9K3O_eE~,BF-rjVZt6dxWMzhYS_d0aK6IljUB_vgT&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=3688903356001&playerID=1055201185001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAA9K3O_eE~,BF-rjVZt6dxWMzhYS_d0aK6IljUB_vgT&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

See less See more
#13 ·
Somewhere between; Outrageous, "WTF are they thinking!?" and :eek:

Decked-out, they are not going to be cheap, another reason why GM is being such a hard-azz with the K2XX pricing.

Additionally, since residuals on mid-size trucks are typically weaker, leases are going to be facing more resistance too.

#9 ·
I wish GM would have lined up the rear tires up and taken a picture at around eye level. Taking a picture a couple feet from the ground when you are talking about size doesn't make sense. Nor does lining up front tires when you are taking a picture of the rear of the trucks.

#12 ·
Part of GM's marketing approach was to show the ghost video of the black Ram & the red Canyon to show the difference in turning ratio. It may not be very impressive, but GM wants people to be comfortable with these trucks. Convincing people that they can easily be parallel parked (a dying skill) & can pull a U-turn without having to shift into reverse is just another small detail in convincing customers about being comfortable. The thing that shocked me the most was the Canyon being shown in look at me bright red. Also, the photos are described as SLE trim model trucks. I was looking for the requisite All Terrain badge, but I see none. I suppose that's one detail that isn't important since the truck isn't actually on sale yet.

I noticed as well that the truck in the video is the crew cab short bed. Add another foot in your imagination to the truck in the pics & video.

Also, here is the gallery for the photos GM posted today with this story. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1202

#6 ·
I saw the Colorado on display at the Chevy tent during the NHRA nationals in Norwalk OH over the 4th. Very very impressed with the presence of this truck. The GMC (at least in this video) looks frumpy. But overall not a large as I thought they would look, thankfully.

The interior of the Colorado left a little to be desired but overall wasn't bad. The seats are cheap looking, but its a truck not a Buick.

The gas tank door is elongated to allow for the pee bottle even if the truck isn't a diesel. An obvious cost-cut but just be happy we have a diesel option, I suppose.

Great wheel/tire combo on the Z71.

Fingers tightly crossed for the rebirth of the ZR2.

Not hopeful on the price of these in anything other than bare bones form.

#14 · (Edited)
Ok, GM knows what the pricing will be and what the EPA ratings are, why are they not making these known this close to availability?
My dealer says they expect their first three Colorados to be available for them to sell on the labor day weekend. Without pricing information, I get the idea that GM doesn't think these will sell on price. Also why compare them to RAM and Tundra not Tacoma and Frontier? This seems odd to try to sell the Colorado/Canyons on turning radius and length and width. I don't know anyone who buys because of tuning radius. WTF??

#21 ·
Also why compare them to RAM and Tundra not Tacoma and Frontier? This seems odd to try to sell the Colorado/Canyons on turning radius and length and width. I don't know anyone who buys because of tuning radius. WTF??
I agree. I think their direct competition is the Tacoma and Frontier. I had to look hard but I bought a short bed standard cab truck because of the turning radius and the superior traction in snow a short wheelbase vehicle has. There is a reason the CJ5 Jeep would go places longer vehicles would not.

#17 · (Edited)
I just want see GMC do a small light duty world pick-up truck that will go head on complete with the Toyota Hilux 650,000 sales worldwide.

Thai made Chevy/Holden Colorado is totally just a Japanese Isuzu under the skin even the Chevy badge the only difference is made in Thailand, GM have long ago now cut the strings with Isuzu sold the stake in them. What does GM get out the deal. Why can't it be GMC that make/design these trucks at home for the global market.

731,000,000 Europeans can't buy a pick-up truck from General Motors in Europe thats an absolute sin GMC make the best trucks in the world & GM Europe are a bit thin on the ground with a profitable vehicle, pick-up truck sales 0 again last year in Europe which is one of the big few continents of the world Asia, America's, Africa & Oceania all have GM pick-up trucks..

#29 · (Edited)
Err, no it's not. The engine, trans, electricals/electonics are all totally different. Tests of the two vehicles here, both in pickup and SUV form show entirely different handling and behaviour. The shell, doorskins and chassis is the same along with front crossmember. But the front/rear sheetmetal, suspension, interiors, brakes, electrics, all different. The Isuzu uses their own 3.0 litre diesel and 5-speed trans and transfer case/electric difflocker arrangement. GM's uses the VMotori R428 as per the Chrysler diesel products, with a 6L50 sixspeed trans or sixspeed manual. To drive, the Isuzu is much softer and has lower tow capacity, lower power/torque despite it's larger capacity motor. Despite using the same dash mouldings, until recently no touchscreen or things like nav.

#25 · (Edited)
That's sort of broad. What is considered "fail"? Are you talking Ampera numbers or 2014 Silverado numbers? Both considered "fails" in the auto world, especially here.

I think GM has hit the nail on the head, even if they price it similarly as the Malibu to the Impala or closer. They can't price based on predicted incentives of the future. There is a large population that want a truck but can't fit a full-size truck into their lives. Not just the upfront cost, but the maintenance, fuel, insurance, and taxes that come with ownership. And then the environment they live and work. As I've stated several time, I don't think GM is trying to move their full-size buyer down, but trying to bring people into the truck market by not scaring them out of the truck market.

#30 ·
Someone who isn't compensatin'? Who sensibly decides like most people a fullsize truck is too much for them? Who wants a manual? Who wants a diesel? Because they can? Maybe, they just like the looks of the smaller vehicle? Maybe they have a smaller parking space?

The TB having a smaller turning circle than a Cobalt (especially a supercharged with fat tyres) is more a comment on FWD driveshafts limiting steering lock than anything else.

#36 ·
Seriously people?

They're comparing SIZE. That's the point of the press release. That's why they're using a Ram, they're demonstrating that you can fit a Canyon into places a Ram would have trouble going. And of course they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by demonstrating a Silverado or Sierra can't fit into a parking space.

#39 ·
Nah that will never sell, after all isnt that GMs reasoning of never bringing in the Ute? Speaking of utes, if the market is going the smaller direction then why was GM so insistent on closing the ONLY facility that creates small and very capable pickups. Not only is the current ute capable at carrying stuff, its also most likely capable of flogging the pants out of the CTS-Vsport around the Nurburgring in its lower spec HSV guise.

The current Ute

The old AWD version

#42 ·
1.5" wider and 7.2" longer than the current Frontier which is already 6" wider than the '88-'05 Toyota Pickup/Tacoma (the ideal size, IMO) but still 1.8" narrower than the current Tacoma.

It's a pretty big truck even it falls right within the norms for current "compact" segment trucks. (Calling them mid-size is intellectually misleading as it implies there's something smaller...)

They're trying to entice full-size buyers into the showroom. The fact that they're starting with this and not comparisons to the Frontier and Tacoma, buyers who should, in theory, be easier sells (especially the Frontier which hasn't changed much since 2005), tells me they're not confident it will compare well.

I could be wrong. Maybe this is just step one of a larger strategy.

#55 ·
#43 ·
The new GM MS trucks are a better comparison against the FS trucks in features and capability. Also the Ram ecodiesel is a truck people buy for mpg as well since it easily trumps the Taco & the Frontier their.

For me, my 2 finalists are the Sierra or the Canyon. The little Jap trucks are just too outdated to even be on my radar. And they get less mpg than a Sierra anyways!

#45 ·
It's a good slant by GM marketing comparing these trucks to the full sized ones, but they are forgetting that Toyota and Nissan already have trucks in this segment. So it's not anything new that GM is doing, but putting a different spin on it. I've yet to see them compare this truck to the Tacoma and Frontier. If you look at what the video is pointing out, the upcoming mid-size twins are not doing anything new or novel.

#52 · (Edited)
It's just not much of a comparison. The twins will have significantly more hp (25-40% more) than the Taco and the Frontier running a motor with all of the latest fuel saving/ power making technology. The twins have notably more towing capacity. The twins have 6 speed transmissions. They have notably more features and capability. They have the segment's only diesel engine. The twins will likely prove to have 40-50% better mpg than the Taco and the Frontier with the V6, even more with the diesel. Not hard to pull off wheneven GMs FS trucks already best those 2 in mpg.

The only comparison I guess will be on price, of which I'd expect the new twins to be similiar to a bit higher. I loaded Tacoma costs $35K w/ no incentives given and no diesel option. So what should the vastly superior truck cost?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.