2013 Acadia Comes Armed for an Army of Elbows

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Acadia Comes Armed for an Army of Elbows

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 12, 2012

The designers of the 2013 GMC Acadia crossover SUV had a lot of things to account for in developing a comfy interior – including as many as 16 pointy, sensitive elbow bones that would be part of a fully loaded eight-passenger vehicle.

General Motors global human factors engineer Joan Hertely and her team spent hundreds of hours creating resting places that considered angles, dimensions and the right materials to achieve maximum comfort.

“The process begins with benchmarking,” said Hertely, who has 12 years of armrest engineering experience. “We look at what works, what doesn’t, and start compiling criteria for width, length, angle, height, adjustment options, comfort, reach and overall design. And those factors consider door handles, cupholders and switch locations.”

Not all armrests can be treated equally, so a crossover that seats up to eight takes months of planning. The driver’s armrest needs to accommodate more controls. The front center armrest needs to both slide and open for storage, and must be level with armrests on the front doors. The four rear outboard armrests are designed with cupholders, which need to be positioned to avoid spills. Optional second-row captain’s chairs have armrests that move with the seatbacks and can be adjusted up and down, requiring additional design criteria.

“Once a layout is in place after having been evaluated and optimized over a hundred hours in a stationary buck, further testing continues out on the road,” said Hertely. “We took countless drives with Acadias, paying close attention to how each armrest feels on both elbows and forearms, because people rest their arms differently. And the cupholder integration was new, so we had to ensure a level of comfort with the holders in use.”

More new car shoppers are discovering Acadia’s purposeful engineering. October sales for Acadia were the best for that month since 2007, the model’s first year on the market. And through the first 10 months of 2012, Acadia is on track for its best sales year ever.

“I never thought I would drive anything but a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz,” said Illona Olayan, an Acadia owner from Jacksonville, Florida. “But I drove an Acadia and was amazed by the great quality and craftsmanship. I’d recommend one to any family. It’s fun, functional and good looking.”

According to auto shopping site Edmunds.com, Acadia “offers a winning combination of comfort, features, cargo space and performance in a utility-style package.” The 2012 Acadia won Edmunds’ “Best Retained Value” award for SUVs between $35,000 and $45,000, as well as a 2012 ALG Residual Value Award in the full-size utility segment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: 2013 Acadia Comes Armed for an Army of Elbows

GM coolaid.
    This is a Chevrolet Traverse.

Thanks

I've always wished someone would figure out that where I sometimes rest my knee on the driver's door needs to be a rounded surface. I've been in many cars where the surface my knee meets is a sharp enough angle that it's uncomfortable.

Glad someone's finally thinking about that. Took a while . . . .

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

"Armrest Engineering"? Really? Must be a slow news day for GM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    I've always wished someone would figure out that where I sometimes rest my knee on the driver's door needs to be a rounded surface. I've been in many cars where the surface my knee meets is a sharp enough angle that it's uncomfortable.

Glad someone's finally thinking about that. Took a while . . . .
    or where your right foot goes during cruise control driving as many modern cars I have driven do not consider a place for your right foot if it is not on the accelerator

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Blah... Where's the article touting this special expense for the Chevrolet?? As if the people who spend 30-40 grand on a Chevrolet Traverse don't want a comfortable place to rest their elbows as well? Ford would give it to them. GM-GMC- Holding back Chevrolet as always.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Why am I not impressed? Sure attention to detail is important but seriously? Out of all of the things that could be improved upon from the front bumper to the back, so much research was needed for this?

Wow, GM. Just wow.

On a side note, why is there a door pull on the passenger side of the new (btw, yes thats Traverse) Traverse and not one on the drivers side?
    RedSkyBlackDream

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Slow news day?
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11:Silv 11:Cruze 94:Sub 85:442

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Why am I not impressed? Sure attention to detail is important but seriously? Out of all of the things that could be improved upon from the front bumper to the back, so much research was needed for this?

On a side note, why is there a door pull on the passenger side of the new (btw, yes thats Traverse) Traverse and not one on the drivers side?
    Many things must be considered in a products design.

However, your second point is one I have pondered MANY times since the Lambdas came out and something I notice everytime I get in one.

For example, they are similarly placed but symmetrical in my LT-trim Silverado.
    www.thecomputerarchive.com - Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution ... www.sharedengrams.com - Random thoughts

Thanks

I think it's more like Saturn came armed for an army of elbows
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    Blah... Where's the article touting this special expense for the Chevrolet?? As if the people who spend 30-40 grand on a Chevrolet Traverse don't want a comfortable place to rest their elbows as well? Ford would give it to them. GM-GMC- Holding back Chevrolet as always.
    I'm pretty sure the interior is shaped the same. There is not a need for conspiracy in every GMC product.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    "Armrest Engineering"? Really? Must be a slow news day for GM.
    12 years of armrest engineering seems like a very boring job. Hopefully she worked on more than just armrests during that 12 years.

Additionally, I wish she had spent some more time on the armrests in the HHR. The center arm rests have an akward forward/downward slope and the door arm rests are almost entirely worthless.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    Lol. Omfg. You are being extra ignorant as usual. Other than the dash and upper parts of the door trim they are nearly identical inside. Like literally you could swap the seats and the center armrest area. Do you actually look at pictures of both? Man get a clue
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 468 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott View Post
    Lol. Omfg. You are being extra ignorant as usual. Other than the dash and upper parts of the door trim they are nearly identical inside. Like literally you could swap the seats and the center armrest area. Do you actually look at pictures of both? Man get a clue
    I agree, his posts have become more and more annoying and I'm pretty sure even the GM haters would concede. Why he doesn't just go away, buy his infallible Ford and be done with this board? Name ANY GM vehicle, and he'll find something negative to say about it, and praise Ford in the process. And no, Mr Fanofdurant, I don't believe you have any good intentions or hope for GM. And after over thirty years of GM vehicle ownership, not a single day has passed that at least one GM vehicle wasn't in my driveway. With all the your so-called GM shortcomings, I STILL prefer GM over Ford. And I'll be buried in either my '72 GTO, or my '06 GTO. I'll leave the '09 CTS to my son. And yes, I have owned several Ford vehicles.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information