GM Inside News Forum banner

V8 Supercars: Lexus evaluating join when new regulations kick in after 2017

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Toto 
#1 ·
V8 Supercars: Lexus evaluating joining the grid when new regulations kick in after 2017

Fox Sports
29 October 2017
www.news.com.au

Would you like to see this car on the V8 Supercars grid?

The car pictured is the Lexus RC F GT3, a V8-powered version of the road-going RC 350 model that is set to hit showrooms in Australia next month.

A car just like it could be coming to the grid in 2017, with Lexus Australia evaluating a tilt at entering V8 Supercars.

“I would have shut the door on motorsport a year ago, particularly V8 Supercar racing in terms of a promotion, marketing and brand exercise,” Lexus Australia boss Sean Hanley told Fairfax.

“But I think the door is slightly open.”

Propping it ajar is the prospect of what V8 officials are calling the ‘Gen 2 Supercar’ platform, set to replace the existing ‘Next Generation’ V8 Supercars in three years’ time.

Currently, the two-door coupe would not be allowed to enter the category as only four-door sedans are allowed, but that is expected to change with the arrival of the new platform.

“We will be opening up power plants, door configurations and the like,” V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton told the Daily Telegraph last week.

“We have put together a package after talking to existing manufacturers about what they want to see in the sport and also other manufacturers about what they need to get involved.

“We need a framework to suit the car industry. Decisions are now made overseas and we need to adapt. We have to be relevant for existing manufacturer and we need to attract new manufacturers.”

Continue here

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm sure you meant exciting, but exiting works better.

What the punters want is Commodore vs Falcon. This can never be the case again so they have to attract others and Lexus is as good a choice as any - at least they are right wheel drive.

Unfortunately the passion will be gone and the crowds will flatline. It will be like the Bathurst 12 hour - great racing on a great track in front of 7 spectators and a couple of cows. Aussies can passionately support two homegrown marques, the passion will be gone except for a few Nissan and Toyota fans. I can't imagine there are a lot of people getting around at V8supercar events in Erabus Racing jackets.

Reactions: AusCalais
#9 ·
I really hope you are right. My favourite era of Australian Touring Cars was the late 70's to early eighties when Holden and Ford ran against Celicas, Rx-3's and BMWs.

#10 ·
Sounds like V8 SC used the NASCAR formula of "change what works". I haven't been a fan for over a decade. The V8 SC at least has the option of going to 2-door models, maybe Ford can hold on to some of their fans by racing Mustangs. What will Holden do? Holden Camaro?

#13 ·
V8SC - Bring back the 'Touring Cars' formula (or Group C) and you'll keep me as a fan. But then a modern 'Touring Cars' will probably be a 3.2Lt V6 FWD - Don't think that'll work. Looks like I'll be watching the Masters and Speedway. Good-bye V8SC. When Holden goes, I'm gone

#15 ·
I actually don't mind the racing at the moment even though I've never been a dedicated V8SC fan. This last season has actually been pretty exciting. I've even been going for some of the Fords and Rick Kellys Nissan just to see some underdogs get up. Some of the talent of the young guys is pretty good.

But yeah, Foxtel can cram it in their cram hole. I don't mind paying for good TV (I paid for Speed channel to watch GT1 and even the US Rolex Series) but the **** that comes with a Foxtel subscription just doesn't cut it. I don't want to pay to prop up demand of Law&Order (nee Bored and Boreder) or CSI. And now I don't pay them a cent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.