Vivaro and Movano: Enhanced to Meet New Challenges (and so are Renaults)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vivaro and Movano: Enhanced to Meet New Challenges (and so are Renaults)

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Vivaro and Movano: Enhanced to Meet New Challenges (and so are Renaults)

Vivaro and Movano: Enhanced to Meet New Challenges

Vivaro pictured, no pics of Movano available at the moment

GM Media Press Release - full text @ http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...81&docid=26315

Photos courtesy of Global AutoIndex - http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=1469

Opel is strengthening its position in the growing 2.8 to 3.5-ton gross weight segment of the light commercial vehicle market with new versions of the Vivaro and Movano. In 1999, Opel made a strong entry into this segment with the Movano, followed by the Vivaro in 2001. Since then, Opel commercial vehicle registrations have doubled from almost 80,000 in 2001 to around 160,000. Both new models make their debut in September at the Commercial Vehicle IAA in Hanover, with orders for the Vivaro being accepted from the beginning of July, and from mid-August for the Movano.
    • Fresh Vivaro face highlights new technology and equipment

In addition to new technology and equipment, the Vivaro also boasts a new, fresh face. The second Vivaro generation, with its distinctive “Jumbo roof” driver’s cab is immediately recognizable with its new headlamp graphics, chrome strip on the redesigned radiator grille and new tail lamps. With the addition of two dropside versions, there are now two wheelbases, two roof heights, and five body variants available. The equipment range includes a host of new features such as Park Pilot, and light and rain sensors (options).

The low-floor design version is especially suited for transporting heavy and bulky goods as it has a load-area height of only 640 millimeters, a unique feature in this segment. The completely flat platform can transport up to four euro pallets, while the normal load floor version provides additional underfloor storage compartments for tools and small items.

The completely revised engine range consists of three common-rail turbo-diesels and one 2.0-liter gasoline engine, which all meet the Euro 4 emissions standard. It is also available with an automated Tecshift six-speed manual transmission, which can save up to six percent fuel and makes daily driving in city traffic much easier. Customers who are especially keen on appearances can further enhance their Vivaro with new 16-inch alloy rims and a wide choice of color-keyed exterior extras.
    • Movano with new engines, enhanced interior and ESPPlus

The 2007 Movano presents itself with a new, clearly structured engine range based on the 2.5 CDTI. Just like the Vivaro, the Movano benefits from the enhanced engines – which all comply with the Euro 4 emissions standard – and transmissions: the three 2.5-liter common-rail turbo-diesels are now more powerful. The enhanced six-speed manual transmission handles this power just as smoothly as the optional automatic Tecshift. The maintenance-free diesel particulate filter is optional with the 120 hp 2.5 CDTI and comes standard with the 145 hp model. ESPPlus is a new safety option for the panel van and Combi. Movano owners will appreciate the additional storage possibilities in the interior: with the exception of the 16-seat bus, all variants feature two roof compartments as wide as the windshield and a storage box in the center console.

As you might know, those two Opel LCVs are actually rebadged Renaults. Of course, the French counterparts were updated too, and a picture of the Master can give us an idea of how the Movano changed (slightly, I suppose).

Renault launches new Traffic and Master ranges

Trafic left, Master right - Trafic is equivalent to Vivaro, Master to Movano

With the launch of several new and revised competitors in recent months, Europe’s number one van brand has revised both of its large vans, Trafic and Master. Among the changes to both products are the refreshed interiors and exterior styling, new standard and optional equipment, plus a new range of Euro 4 engines ranging in power from 90hp to 150hp.

More of the Renault Press Release @ http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=1468#

The "several new and revised competitors" mentioned by Renault include the new Fiat/PSA Sevel Sur large commercial vans, which are covered here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php. DCX's Mercedes Sprinter van was also updated (The New Sprinter, along with VW counterpart LT (now also called Crafter - http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=1283)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Re: Vivaro and Movano: Enhanced to Meet New Challenges (and so are Renaults)

GM should sell these in the States, they could be a more efficent alternative to the Savana/Express. Dodge sells a rebadged Mercedes Sprinter Van.

Walking
    Thanks

There is (or was when I left the UK) Nissan versions of these vans as well

Thanks

There still are - http://www.nissan.co.uk/home/vehicles/lcv/index.html - Trafic is Primastar, while Master is Interstar. Moreover, Kangoo is Kubistar I would expect a similar release from Nissan next week. Interstingly, the Trafic and Vivaro come from GM's IBC plant in Luton, while the Primastar from Nissan's Barcelona plant in Spain.

Thanks

The Opels are the best looking out of the trio. Is this a joint venture on commercial vans or what?
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    http://perpetualanticipation.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Yup, pretty much standard practice. As I mentioned, Fiat and PSA have a similar team-up for many years now, and Mercedes and VW to a lesser extent. The development of such vehicles is quite costly, with sales volumes not that high, and also the market is quite functionality-driven, so rebadging won't hurt.

Thanks

Does that interior pic show a cupholder to the left of the dash? And how in the Hell do you read that nav screen? That being said, the Movano would make an excellent full-size Chevy/GMC if the size is right. Bring it over with a diesel.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

I hate being the one to descend but I really hate those Sprinter vans. Leave the Express/Savanna here. I like the styling of those but I couldn't see that doing service over here i have yet to see 1 Sprinter van in service as a people mover I've only seen them in deliever service.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)

Walking
    Thanks

Actually, here in south Florida, I have seen many applications of the Sprinter (both municipality and commercial use). They seem to do quite well.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

These things probably could compete against the Sprinter in the US, since it seems like it is catching on.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.

TDi
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'm still waiting for Holden to bring the Vivaro and Movano over to Australia. I was under the impression that it was going to happen 2 year's ago, but nothing has come of it.

Renault sell's the Kangoo, Trafic and Master in Australia.

The Renault Kangoo does well, sales wise, against the VW Caddy, Holden Combo and Citroen Berlingo, but the Renault Trafic and Master have found the market tuff and don't really sell in the same number's as the Ford Transit, VW Transporter, Fiat Ducato, Mercedes-Benz Vito and Sprinter and even the Iveco TurboDaily.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

I take back about not seeing one up here i saw two today up here in a parking lot but they were from Carolina or somthing
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)

Thanks

Why can't GM build the Vivaro at it's plant in Thailand, stick in some Isuzu petrol and diesel 4 cylinder engines, whack some Isuzu, Holden and Chevrolet badges on them and start flogging them in Japan/SE Asia, Australia and South Africa.

If Ford, Volkwagen, Mercedes Benz and Renault can profitably bring euro vans to this part of the world, then surely the General can.

Thanks

OK, just a bit of clarification:

1. The NAV screen - remember how high the driver sits in a van, and it's the same trick as with the old Yaris display or the Saab 9-3 before Nesbitt - it is put quite far forward and close to the windshield so that the driver's eyes don't have to adjust to long while switching from the road to the screen and back.

2. Cupholder - it's much more convenient on the left than it would have been in the middle, do remember the shifter and the fact that there are three seats in the front.

3. As concerns building in Thailand and stuff - remember that GM doesn't own these designs, Renault has.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

The NAV screen is pretty good in usage - it also needs to be in that location to reduce glare from the screen.

These vehicles are amongst the best-sellers in Europe - certainly in the UK, Vivaro outsells pretty much everything else. They're great vehicles - fantastic to drive and the new diesel engines are smooth, quiet and quick.

In terms of build, the majority of both RHD & LHD Vauxhall / Opel Vivaros, northern European Renault Trafics and Nissan Primastars are sourced from GM Manufacturing Luton (previously known as IBC). The only RHD product sourced from Barcelona is the high roof variant (as GMM Luton's paint shop can't build this variant). The majority of southern European and north African Renault's are sourced from Nissan's Zona Franca plant ouitside Barcelona.

Vivaro and Movano are both sold in South Africa - as I understand the finances didn't work for Australia, whilst Japan has different rules for commercial vehicles which means these vehicles wouldn't be suitable.

Why are US buyers so averse to diesel anyhow? 0-60 times may not be as good as petrol but in-gear acceleration is much better, and that's where you're more likely to need it.

Besides, vans of this type are purchased to do a job and do it efficiently. Why do you need a huge, great inefficient V8 petrol engine?
    Last edited by Rupester; 09-02-2006 at 02:40 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information