Opel Zafira Tourer wins “Golden Steering Wheel 2012” award

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel Zafira Tourer wins “Golden Steering Wheel 2012” award

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Zafira Tourer wins “Golden Steering Wheel 2012” award

The “Lounge on wheels” is the no. 1 reader’s choice in popular van segment
    2012-11-07
    Opel Media Online

Rüsselsheim/Berlin. Six models entered the “van” competition category but only the Opel Zafira Tourer emerged as the winner of its class in the “Golden Steering Wheel 2012” award. This important European car prize is just the latest in a long string of successes for the Rüsselsheim car maker: both of its predecessors won this accolade in 1999 and then again in 2005. This year marks the 37th time that the “Golden Steering Wheel” award was handed out. So far Opel has won the award 15 times. At the same time, the Zafira Tourer rounds off the long list of Opel awards in the year 2012, including the “Car of the Year Award” for the electric Ampera.

The German publications “Auto Bild”, “Bild am Sonntag” and 26 European partner magazines host the annual competition. Forty-four different vehicle models competed in six different categories. The readers, not expert judges determine, which vans and convertibles/coupes win. In that sense, the “Golden Steering Wheel” award reflects the high regard in which customers hold the Opel monocab.

“We are extremely pleased with an award in this category. It’s proof that the Zafira Tourer has met the taste of the readers, many of whom are our customers,” said Steve Girsky, Chairman of the Opel Supervisory Board and GM Vice Chairman. Girsky was speaking on Wednesday at the “Golden Steering Wheel” prize-giving ceremony in Berlin. “Our concept simply works as it consists of a mix of a lounge on wheels and an all-round master of flexibility suitable for everyday use. At the same time, this year’s award is renewed confirmation that we can score points with our family friendly offer. Already in 2010 the Meriva was awarded the Golden Steering Wheel.”

The Opel Zafira Tourer offers a perfect blend of functionality, comfort and premium quality With an extensively re-designed Flex7 seating system, the Zafira Tourer sets new standards in interior flexibility and atmosphere. Cutting-edge assistance systems like the second generation Opel Eye front camera, the Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Imminent Braking (CIB), Following Distance Indication (FDI) and Forward Collision Alert (FCA) support the driver and increase safety. The Zafira Tourer is available with engines that use gasoline, diesel, CNG and LPG. Prices start at 23,350 euro (Germany rrp. including VAT).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT (Stepside)

Re: Opel Zafira Tourer wins “Golden Steering Wheel 2012” award

Hey look, an Ampera wagon without the electric drivetrain.
    Twitter--Comments getting uncivilized? PM me.

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Thanks

Very handsome. Would this not sell reasonably well against the Honda, Toyota, and Nissan minivans in North America?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Very handsome. Would this not sell reasonably well against the Honda, Toyota, and Nissan minivans in North America?
    No, it is too small for U.S. as we are wider than Europeans.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (91k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 190k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by SCCA1995 View Post
    Hey look, an Ampera wagon without the electric drivetrain.
    Yup make it a Buick. Add Voltec. Sell it !!!!!!

I always loved the Zafira. It is simply one of the most space efficient vehicles around. It is also built on the Global Delta platform (just like the Volt). Come on GM make it happen! It would take a fair bit to fit the battery but they could make it work. Run the battery down the centre like the Volt. Remove the second row middle seat and have the top of the T under the second row. It would become a 6 seater but that would be fine.
    Last edited by MechEng; 11-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

I love the wrap over windshield, and how it gives the front cabin a real open and airy feel. Would almost buy one just on that one feature alone. I hope that someday this design element makes it onto a vehicle here in North America.
    Last edited by EJD1984; 11-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11:Silv 11:Cruze 94:Sub 85:442

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I love the wrap over windshield, and how it give the front cabin a real open and airy feel. Would almost buy one just on that one feature alone. I hope that someday this design element makes it onto a vehicle here in North America.
    This plus the integrated bike carrier!

While my Cruze continues to be flawless, I really wanted a hatch / wagon to replace my Maxx. This would fit the bill perfectly!

As I understand, they also have the 1.4 Turbo in a trim similar to the Cruze. Does anyone know what the comparable fuel economy would be in US MPG or what people are getting in the real world?
    www.thecomputerarchive.com - Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution ... www.sharedengrams.com - Random thoughts

Thanks

I think it looks Amazing.. for a Van... They should sell it here

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC sledgehammer777's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Saturn Ion, 2012 Equinox

That would be my next vehicle IF they sold it in the US of A!
    From the first day of the work week, until the end of time, Chevy Runs Deep!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 DirtyMoney's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    No, it is too small for U.S. as we are wider than Europeans.
    It offers a more attractive package than the Encore and Orlando. Buick
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

With a small displacement FUEL FRUGAL diesel?
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Sell this as a 1.6T Buick and I will get one

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I agree, yet another application for the new 1.6T. GM should be putting it in pretty much every small-ish vehicle they have. While I do love the look of the wrap over windshield, I have to think it would be very expensive to replace. As for the comment that it's too small, I think more fat Americans are starting to buy smaller units like this. Between the Encore and this, it sure would make the statement that Buick has changed and is no longer the old-fashioned land-yacht company any more....

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Sell this as a 1.6T Buick and I will get one
    The 2.0 BiTurbo Diesel (195hp/400Nm) is the better choice and is already available for the Zafira Tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by sean975 View Post
    I agree, yet another application for the new 1.6T. GM should be putting it in pretty much every small-ish vehicle they have. While I do love the look of the wrap over windshield, I have to think it would be very expensive to replace. As for the comment that it's too small, I think more fat Americans are starting to buy smaller units like this. Between the Encore and this, it sure would make the statement that Buick has changed and is no longer the old-fashioned land-yacht company any more....
    Here in Germany repair costs for the wrap over windshield are covered by the car insurance company. So no extra costs for the owner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Yup make it a Buick. Add Voltec. Sell it !!!!!!

I always loved the Zafira. It is simply one of the most space efficient vehicles around. It is also built on the Global Delta platform (just like the Volt). Come on GM make it happen! It would take a fair bit to fit the battery but they could make it work. Run the battery down the centre like the Volt. Remove the second row middle seat and have the top of the T under the second row. It would become a 6 seater but that would be fine.
    I absolutely agree... I would bet the market would respond very positively to a Voltec Buick minivan/crossover. The Zafira could/should be that vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    It offers a more attractive package than the Encore and Orlando. Buick
    I agree... Zafira is a better vehicle altogether than both the Encore and Orlando... There is heavy talk about Buick bringing to market a crossover that is bigger than the Encore but smaller than the Enclave. Could a vehicle based on the Zafira be that crossover? It seems a vehicle like the Zafira would fit in well in Buick/GMC dealerships, as it would offer a totally different package and experience than the Encore, Enclave, Terrain, and Acadia.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information