Opel Zafira Tourer BiTurbo: Fastest diesel-powered compact seven-seater

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel Zafira Tourer BiTurbo: Fastest diesel-powered compact seven-seater

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Zafira Tourer BiTurbo: Fastest diesel-powered compact seven-seater

Zafira Tourer BiTurbo: Fastest diesel-powered compact seven-seater
    Opel Media Online
    2013-01-29

- Powerful 143 kW/195 hp, 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) BiTurbo diesel engine
    - Equipped with unique, safety enhancing technologies
    - Flagship diesel broadens Zafira Tourer engine portfolio

Rüsselsheim. Opel has created the fastest diesel-powered seven-seater in the compact van segment by introducing state-of-the-art, sequential twin-turbo diesel technology to the Zafira Tourer. The 143 kW/195 hp, 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) 2.0 CDTI BiTurbo engine gives the Zafira Tourer’s new top diesel variant a maximum speed of 218 km/h (135 mph). And with combined cycle fuel consumption of just 5.6 l/100 km, the new BiTurbo model is not only powerful but also impressively efficient, delivering an exceptional blend of high performance and great fuel economy.

The sophisticated sequential BiTurbo technology in the Zafira provides a high power output, an instantaneous throttle response and extraordinary pulling power from a wide torque plateau. Acceleration from zero-100 km/h is achieved in just 8.9 seconds and elasticity is outstanding, with 80 km/h to 120 km/h (50 - 75 mph) reached in just 8.5 seconds in fifth gear.

The award-winning Zafira Tourer – most recently a recipient of the 2012 ‘Golden Steering Wheel’ from readers of European car magazines – combines premium class ambience inside the cabin with cutting-edge technologies, some of which are unique in the segment and enhance safety and comfort. Technical highlights include the mechatronic FlexRide chassis system, the second-generation Opel Eye front camera, the AFL+ adaptive forward lighting system and a panoramic windshield which floods the cabin with natural light.

Extra flexibility inside the Zafira Tourer is provided by the new generation Flex7 system, including the unique lounge seating functions which give passengers an unprecedented amount of space in the second row.

The new 2.0-liter BiTurbo engine further expands the Zafira Tourer’s broad powertrain offer. This now comprises four diesel and four gasoline engines, as well as an LPG and a CNG Turbo variant. The extensive choice ensures that a wide range of customer needs and tastes are met. “Opel is spicing up its already successful Zafira Tourer with new and exciting German-engineered features,” says Thomas Sedran, Opel Board Member in charge of Operations, Business Development & Corporate Strategies. “We are now the only brand to offer a sophisticated BiTurbo engine in a van format. It provides a perfect blend of high performance, impressive fuel economy and premium class quality in a seven-seat layout.”

The new high-performance diesel Zafira Tourer BiTurbo can be ordered now. Prices start at 35,405 euro (RRP in Germany includes VAT), and customer deliveries are expected to commence in April 2013.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Re: Opel Zafira Tourer BiTurbo: Fastest diesel-powered compact seven-seater

Wow. Sounds like a winner that GM refuses to bring here.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

So will they ever sell this wagon here?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LetsRace's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Will this diesel engine make it to the ATS?

Thanks

I know people here are just dying for small 4 door minivans, they are just flying off dealer lots.......

Thanks

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    So will they ever sell this wagon here?
    Do you think they could sell them for $45k...? That's what it says the starting price is. The Enclave gets ripped for starting at $40k... do the math! This car is boss, though. Would love to drive one.

Thanks

Not only the vehicle and the diesel, but there are CNG and LPG variants while we have a glut of natural gas and outside of the pickups no sign of any CNG vehicles in the US. I'd personally like to see both a Cruze and Volt with CNG variants. I know fueling infrastructure is an issue but there are parts of the country where it's feasible.
    2011 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    2013 Volt
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
    - Elbert Hubbard

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11' Cruze LTZ

Gross weight for the 1.4 2012 Vauxhall Zafira Tourer is 2340 KG's = 5,158 Lbs

If the Cadillac ATS w/ this diesel 2.0t weighs around 3600-3800(Conservative) Lbs
    0-62mph should roughly be between 1.3 to 1.5 seconds quicker to sixty two.

Which would put the ATS sport sedan around 7.4 to 7.6 to sixty two.

Which is pretty dam impressive for a diesel sport sedan and would return great mileage.

If the ATS were to be even lighter vs my conservative estimate say 3400 Lbs we could be looking @ acceleration performance around the High six low seven range which with the handling characteristics already documented could be segment changing.

This must be dropped in as the ATS-D immediately.

Im gitty like I saw a titty.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

Its ugly and I can't believe OPEL/GM signed off on that front end. At least it has torque which it'll need to haul 7 people
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    The new 2.0-liter BiTurbo engine further expands the Zafira Tourer’s broad powertrain offer. This now comprises four diesel and four gasoline engines, as well as an LPG and a CNG Turbo variant.
    Really??? Ten engine choices? This may be another reason that Opel can't make any money. Opel develops all kinds of cool stuff, but it sometimes seems that it's done without much thought given to profitability.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang View Post
    Really??? Ten engine choices? This may be another reason that Opel can't make any money. Opel develops all kinds of cool stuff, but it sometimes seems that it's done without much thought given to profitability.
    Perhaps some of that technology needs to be spread globally.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Dunne View Post
    Do you think they could sell them for $45k...? That's what it says the starting price is. The Enclave gets ripped for starting at $40k... do the math! This car is boss, though. Would love to drive one.
    I knew that this will happen...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Wouldn't it be cool to see the ATS and new CTS offered with 2.0T bi-turbos like these? I think so. BMW have the market cornered in that little sub-segment now, but the GM engines are really good and it's too bad the business case is probably not there for Cadillac to offer it here in the US. The torque offered in that size diesel is super fun to drive, and despite the slower 0-60 times (compared to what is competitive for the US market and gas engines) they feel really fun to drive in real-world conditions.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Fusion Orange VUE

Just checked the Opel website on this and if you slapped a waterfall on it no one would be the wiser not to think it is a Buick. Looks like a similar layout as the Encore.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information