GM Inside News Forum banner

Opel TV ad campaigns 'It's a German' with Claudia Schiffer

6K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  TheCarGonzo 
#1 ·
Meriva, Mokka and Claudia: Perfect Opel Partners Made in Germany
Opel Media Online
2014-04-09

- Supermodel Claudia Schiffer wowing audiences in new Opel TV ads
- Opel responds to huge public interest by releasing behind-the-scenes photo and videos

Rüsselsheim. Supermodel Claudia Schiffer is currently captivating TV audiences around Europe with her chic ‘It’s a German’ ad campaigns for the Opel Astra, Meriva, Mokka and Zafira Tourer. Now in response to their huge public impact, Opel is releasing two behind-the-scenes videos and some photos together with videos of the ads so the allure of the fashion icon and the attractions of the Opel cars can be enjoyed by anyone at any time.

Claudia Schiffer is Opel’s European brand ambassador and, as one of Germany’s best known ‘exports’, she brings her own unique glamour and charm to the ‘Made in Germany’ theme of the ads. They illustrate the enduring appeal of great German engineering, such as the clever, rear-hinged rear doors of the Meriva and the adaptive all-wheel drive technology of the Mokka SUV. As the unmistakably German face of Opel in Europe, Claudia’s new role fits as perfectly as the beautiful outfits she has modeled in an international career spanning more than 25 years. At the end of each ad, she signs off with the catchy punchline: “It’s a German.”

The ad campaign was launched at the beginning of February across Europe, apart from Germany, Opel’s home market, and the UK where Opel’s Vauxhall sister brand is sold. “Claudia is a great German icon with real international appeal who fully identifies with the values of our brand,” says Opel Chief Marketing Officer Tina Müller. “The public response to the style and humor of these TV ads has been overwhelming, and we’re now delighted to make them available for audiences to enjoy worldwide.”

See less See more
#16 ·
The phrase "It's a German" seems odd... but if it works in Europe fine. ...
You may be confident that the tagline would also work in North America.

Well, now I know who Claudia Schaeffer is. And surely I am a better man for such knowledge.

I watched the first three. Standard pitiful superficial GM-style half-fast ads IMO.

Should play well in Russia. :cool:
I feel sorry for you if you rely on 30-second TV ads for technical information on cars that you have under consideration. Claudia Shiffer is a whole different story. Those 30-second commercials are about as close as I will get to her any time soon. More screen time for Claudia Shiffer!

#6 ·
German auto engineering is well regarded in Europe - that's why Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz dominate the premium sector and have squeezed the mainstream sector so much - it's clearly good PR to associate Opel with that high regard and I can see why it's in-appropriate to run those ads in Germany itself , or the UK.

#9 ·
Well, now I know who Claudia Schaeffer is. And surely I am a better man for such knowledge.

I watched the first three. Standard pitiful superficial GM-style half-fast ads IMO.

Should play well in Russia. :cool:

#10 ·
I'll have to wait until I get home to watch the commercials. But without seeing them, are people focused on her or the car? Big trap of some popular commercials is that after you see them you can't remember what the product was that they are trying to sell.

Hey Toto - just curious, what does the BVB stand for in your avatar? Those are my initials and have always been curious.

#20 ·
Engineered by Opel in Germany - built by Opel Spain from this year.

Car buyers the world over relate to the nominal nationality of a brand, regardless of where a car is actually built - BMW and Mercedes-Benz are German despite their SUVs being built in the USA and shipped back to Germany - Honda, Nissan and Toyota are Japanese despite building cars in the UK for shipment around the world.

#18 ·
Interesting that all the commercials are in English. Unless these commercials were aired in Ireland, it makes me wonder what the point was since Vauxhall is sold in the UK.

I wonder if she also filmed a Vauxhall commercial with an "It's a Briton" or It's English" tagline?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.