Opel raises cash by selling facilities to GM parent

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opel raises cash by selling facilities to GM parent

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

By Andrew Ganz
    Friday, Dec 21st, 2012

In a bid to raise much-needed capital, Opel will sell six of its facilities in Europe to its parent company, General Motors, for an amount said to keep the German automaker afloat for at least the next few years.

GM owns Opel and Opel owns production and engineering facilities scattered across Europe, but what Opel owns doesn't directly belong to GM. Opel is operated as an independent company, not as a division like Chevrolet is to Buick. As a result, the German brand is essentially the master of its own domain, even though GM relies heavily on it for global product engineering and development.

CONTINUE AT: http://www.leftlanenews.com/opel-rai...gm-parent.html
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Opel raises cash by selling facilities to GM parent

Interesting. I wonder if this is the "first step" in a long process of making Opel more of a division like Chevy and Buick and less of a stand alone subsidiary? Or is this a legal move to try and give GM leverage (or avoid a penalty of some sort) in dealing with labor issues around Europe?
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Opel better sell Adam, corsa and Opc coupes to Buick.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if this is the "first step" in a long process of making Opel more of a division like Chevy and Buick and less of a stand alone subsidiary? Or is this a legal move to try and give GM leverage (or avoid a penalty of some sort) in dealing with labor issues around Europe?
    Good question.

I suspect that GM can't simply acquire the assets and then divest of them without contravening existing arrangements with the union.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Kennyboy's Avatar
    Thanks

The system is setup very similar to GM used to own SAAB. SAAB had it's own independent board, facilities, and technology centers. I suspect that GM is using this as a bargaining chip with the unions as they can now legally shut down the plants without Opel's approval.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

By Andrew Ganz
    Friday, Dec 21st, 2012

In a bid to raise much-needed capital, Opel will sell six of its facilities in Europe to its parent company, General Motors, for an amount said to keep the German automaker afloat for at least the next few years.

GM owns Opel and Opel owns production and engineering facilities scattered across Europe, but what Opel owns doesn't directly belong to GM. Opel is operated as an independent company, not as a division like Chevrolet is to Buick. As a result, the German brand is essentially the master of its own domain, even though GM relies heavily on it for global product engineering and development.

That's the planed shutdown of the company OPEL. An company without assets has nothing to get credits (for securing financing). OPEL will only exists as a brand in the GM economy system.
    The raised cash has to been paid in the end to the license company and development centers of GM. How much do they'll pay with this back lease model? So there will be no real cash at OPEL. It's time to say goodbye.

The take over of the assets is a clear statement for European governments: This is an US based company, so they should solve the problems in their facilities. Not my department.

Money down the toilet.
    Last edited by OliverH; 12-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Saab 95 Aero SC Hirsch-Performance
    Saab 93-I Aero convertible

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyboy View Post
    The system is setup very similar to GM used to own SAAB. SAAB had it's own independent board, facilities, and technology centers. I suspect that GM is using this as a bargaining chip with the unions as they can now legally shut down the plants without Opel's approval.
    GM doesn't want to be back in the situation when German government was an "owner" of the facilities some time ago for credits they gave to OPEL. GM paid back money as fast as they could to get back control. GM don't want anyone in charge to control decisions and strategy.

Which facilities are sold to GM?

I bet on:
    Rüsselsheim
    Kaiserslautern
    Vauxhall plants
    Dudenhofen test centre close to Rüsselsheim/ Frankfurt

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyboy View Post
    GM always tried to be the owner of technology departments like Powertrain research & development. They all were renamed to "GM Powertrain [xyz] AB/ GmbH/ AG and whatever".
    GM used european work to renew their own platforms.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

This could be part of the problem. If Opel/ Vauxhall were just divisions like Chevrolet Buick and Cadillac Then GM could run it's European operations much leaner and flexibly. GM can still have a European based product engineering and devolopment facility just as every major region does now in North America, Brazil, China and Australia but Opel/Vauxhall should not have the high expense and bureaucracy of a stand alone company. I think we might still have Saab if it had been run more like a division and not as a quasi autonomous subsidiary. If it is chaper to produce Chevrolets, Opels, and Saabs in the same factory for the Eauropean market then that is what GM should have done. Today it is astonishing how slowly GM is integrating its production. It seems there are still Opel/Vauxhall factories and Chevrolet Factories in Europe. There should only be GM factories building whatever is needed wherever its needed. The best example of this integration and flexability is the Volt Hamtramck Plant in Michigan. When Volt production started Hamtramck was also building Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS, Those models are now being replaced by the new 2014 Impala and the Cadillac ELR.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

If Opel were a division like Chev and Buick they could also run them into the ground like Pontiac and Saturn
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    This could be part of the problem. If Opel/ Vauxhall were just divisions like Chevrolet Buick and Cadillac Then GM could run it's European operations much leaner and flexibly. GM can still have a European based product engineering and devolopment facility just as every major region does now in North America, Brazil, China and Australia but Opel/Vauxhall should not have the high expense and bureaucracy of a stand alone company. I think we might still have Saab if it had been run more like a division and not as a quasi autonomous subsidiary. If it is chaper to produce Chevrolets, Opels, and Saabs in the same factory for the Eauropean market then that is what GM should have done. Today it is astonishing how slowly GM is integrating its production. It seems there are still Opel/Vauxhall factories and Chevrolet Factories in Europe. There should only be GM factories building whatever is needed wherever its needed. The best example of this integration and flexability is the Volt Hamtramck Plant in Michigan. When Volt production started Hamtramck was also building Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS, Those models are now being replaced by the new 2014 Impala and the Cadillac ELR.
    Chevrolet factories in europe?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    If Opel were a division like Chev and Buick they could also run them into the ground like Pontiac and Saturn
    There were Oldsmobile, Saab also. There's know ledge/ experience around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...ntinued_brands
    Last edited by OliverH; 12-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
    Chevrolet factories in europe?
    Nov. 7 2008 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the world's biggest carmaker, opened a $300 million factory in Russia as it looks to compensate for slumping sales in western Europe and North America.

The plant in the Shushary district on the outskirts of St. Petersburg will produce 70,000 Chevrolet Captiva sport-utility vehicles...

I stand corrected if this or other factories do not produce Chevrolets exclusively. It has been my understanding that Captivas and Cruzes were being produced in europe and the Russian plant is probabaly producing Antera as well.
    Last edited by rsbaker; 12-21-2012 at 03:08 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC the_smurf2008's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

[QUOTE=OliverH;2622111]Chevrolet factories in europe?[/QUOTE

UUMMMMM>>>>>>

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    Nov. 7 2008 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the world's biggest carmaker, opened a $300 million factory in Russia as it looks to compensate for slumping sales in western Europe and North America.

The plant in the Shushary district on the outskirts of St. Petersburg will produce 70,000 Chevrolet Captiva sport-utility vehicles...

I stand corrected if this or other factories do not produce Chevrolets exclusively. It has been my understanding that Captivas and Cruzes were being produced in europe and the Russian plant is probabaly producing Antera as well.
    Russia? Hmmm..
    Russia is currently a good place for a plant in the "good partnership" US/ Russia. Everyone followed Putins press conference this week will trust in this region.

But thanks for the info. Hadn't heared about before.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information