Opel Movano Upgrade: More economy, power and comfort

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel Movano Upgrade: More economy, power and comfort

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

http://media.opel.com/media/intl/en/...o-upgrade.html
    2013-02-26

- Up to 8 percent reduced fuel consumption thanks to Start/Stop
    - Extra 15 percent towing capacity for selected Movano models
    - New semi-glazed variant with money-saving passenger car classification

Rüsselsheim. Opel’s versatile and highly successful light commercial vehicle, the Movano, is now even more fuel efficient and therefore even cheaper to run thanks to Start/Stop technology. The system is now available in combination with all manual transmission 2.3 CDTI 100 hp and 125 hp panel van variants. It cuts fuel consumption and emissions by up to 8 percent compared to the same models without Start/Stop. For example, the short-wheel base and low roof Movano combi variant now only uses 6.7 l/100 km or 176 g/km CO2.

“Now that we have added Start/Stop to the Movano line-up, Opel’s light commercial vehicle is even more appealing to commercial customers,” says Acting Opel Vice President Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Duncan Aldred. “Cost of ownership and the environment are key factors for fleet customers. That’s why we are constantly improving the Movano offer so that we can better meet our customer needs.”

Movano now equipped for bigger loads and with extra comfort

Further enhancements to the Movano offer include a 15 percent increase in towing capacity. The towing capability (braked) of the Movano chassis/crew cab rear wheel drive (RWD) and dual rear wheel (DRW) variants has been increased from 3 to 3.5 tons as standard. So these two Movano variants are even better equipped to deal with heavy transport duties.

A new option that increases the Movano’s ride comfort even further and improves access to the loading bay is the pneumatic suspension. The feature is available for all 3.5 ton front-wheel drive versions of the panel van and chassis/crew cab. The pneumatic suspension is very user-friendly as it is operated by remote control. It can raise the van by seven centimeters from the standard setting and can lower it by 20 centimeters. Loading and unloading are thus made easier.

New semi-glazed Combi as passenger car

Customers with cost of ownership as a top priority might consider buying the new semi-glazed combi variant. It has M1 passenger car type approval so that insurance and tax costs are kept to a minimum. Alternatively customers can opt for the fully glazed Combi which also benefits from M1 type classification.

The Opel Movano offers innovative technologies and excellent functionality and economy. Its cabin boasts high-quality, durable materials and surfaces, excellent all-around visibility and a host of practical storage compartments. It also features multi-adjustable seats and a height-adjustable steering column ensuring every driver can achieve a comfortable driving position. Alongside capacity and dimensions, ergonomics and functionality play a vital role in the world of heavy vans.

Movano FWD vs RWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Opel Movano Upgrade: More economy, power and comfort

Semi-glazed combi? What this?
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited White 3.6 Pentastar Auto
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
    I'm sure it refers to how many side window panels are installed for the rear passenger area.

Ken

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

So, would GMC ever dare sell this here in ze States?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Sell it? They should be building it here now.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Ford replaced its Econoline Vans with the Transit based European models, as did Chrysler with its Mercedes based vans. Figure GM will eventually use Movano vans here, too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster97801 View Post
    Sell it? They should be building it here now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMJoe View Post
    Ford replaced its Econoline Vans with the Transit based European models, as did Chrysler with its Mercedes based vans. Figure GM will eventually use Movano vans here, too.
    I hope GM doesn't do that. I would rather see re-powered and revamped Express/Savana vans than a Euro turd broght over.

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

Thanks

It doesnt have full glaze...or sprinkles.

Ooooorrrrr.....

It could corner the market on traditional style cheaper full size vans.

Though the front of the van does kinda look like a giant Spark.
    Last edited by MCGARRETT; 02-26-2013 at 02:51 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    11:Silv 11:Cruze 94:Sub 85:442

Quote Originally Posted by newdude View Post
    I hope GM doesn't do that. I would rather see re-powered and revamped Express/Savana vans than a Euro turd broght over.
    Agreed.

I'm sure some engineer has some top notch ideas for improving packaging of the traditional vans and giving them a wider track for stability with a sprinkle of Euro ideas. (or would they glaze them with Euro ideas?)
    www.thecomputerarchive.com - Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution ... www.sharedengrams.com - Random thoughts

Thanks

Seems a quite capable vehicle. GM should seriously consider importing or producing these vehicles for the North American market.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I forgot, who did GM jointly develop these vans with? Hopefully PSA, then there won't be any problem selling them over here. Must say though Transit wins on sex appeal, but that probably isn't the biggest decider in sales.

Thanks

I'm sure some engineer has some top notch ideas for improving packaging of the traditional vans and giving them a wider track for stability with a sprinkle of Euro ideas. (or would they glaze them with Euro ideas?)
    This where the real sweet spot will lie, a mix of a Euro/American van. Still tall and nerdy, but with an V8 engine under the hood. A serious overhaul of the Express/Savanna, with the availability of a high roof option, a diesel, etc, but still using the Silverado/Sierra platform lets say.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy HHR/2011/White

I was at the Chicago Auto show Ram (Fiat based) and Ford had one heck of a showing for their Euro Van/Trucks. If you think these are garbage think again. GM better wake up in this department and bring something to market in the US. Unfortunately arent these Opels developed off of Fiat platforms. Fiat may not want GM manufacturing a product it developed, outside of Eurpope. And on top of that competing with its Ram truck offering.

Sorry the Movano was co developed with Renault.
    Last edited by heritage; 02-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

GM could use this in NA as a Ram Promaster competitor. Obviously not as a Buick, this is something GMC definitely needs. Being RWD it has an advantage over the Ford and Ram as they both are FWD if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Butz; 02-26-2013 at 07:32 PM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    This where the real sweet spot will lie, a mix of a Euro/American van. Still tall and nerdy, but with an V8 engine under the hood. A serious overhaul of the Express/Savanna, with the availability of a high roof option, a diesel, etc, but still using the Silverado/Sierra platform lets say.
    V8 cargo vans were justified when those V8s were making 190 hp and gas cost $1.20. These days, they make no sense.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information