Opel Increases European Sales by Four Percent in 2016

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel Increases European Sales by Four Percent in 2016

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Increases European Sales by Four Percent in 2016

OPEL
    2017-01-10

Rüsselsheim. Opel/Vauxhall have once again significantly increased annual sales. According to provisional data, the Rüsselsheim-based carmaker sold approximately 1.16 million units in 2016. This is a year-on-year increase of some 46,000 vehicles or four percent and is the highest sales volume since 2011.

Overall Opel managed to increase sales in 18 of 22 markets including, amongst others, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands and Poland. Market share was also up in twelve markets. Opel/Vauxhall’s market share of the overall European market was almost unchanged at 5.73 percent. Significantly lower sales volumes in the United Kingdom following the Brexit vote offset the market share increase on numerous European markets.

The new Opel Astra was the main driver of the increase in sales across Europe. The European “Car of the Year 2016” was newly registered more than 285,000 times – up over 25 percent from the previous year. It therefore claimed the accolade of being Opel’s bestselling model.

“We held our own well and increased our sales in a difficult environment in 2016. We are optimistic for 2017. We will continue our growth course thanks to our product offensive with attractive new models. We will be well-placed in the growing CUV segment thanks to our new Crossland X and Grandland X models,” said Vice President Sales & Aftersales Peter Christian Küspert.

Opel is currently in the middle of the biggest model offensive in its history and will bring 29 new models to market from 2016 through 2020, seven of which in 2017 alone. Therefore, this year has been placed under the motto “7 in 17”.

In addition to the new generation of the Insignia flagship, which will be available as a five-door sedan (Insignia Grand Sport), as a station wagon (Insignia Sports Tourer) and a crossover version (Insignia Country Tourer), the company will also launch two models in the fast-growing CUV segment (Crossover Utility Vehicles) – the Crossland X and the Grandland X. Furthermore, spring will see the arrival of the Ampera-e electric car – a true range champion. The 2017 model offensive will be completed by an especially attractive variant of the Opel Vivaro.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (01-13-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,460 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Re: Opel Increases European Sales by Four Percent in 2016

We will soon here why this is not a positive development

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,632 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

I think the Crossland X and the Grandland X are just the rebadged version of the Buick Envision and GMC Terrain.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,362 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    Significantly lower sales volumes in the United Kingdom following the Brexit vote offset the market share increase on numerous European markets.
    The UK market grew by 2% in 2016 overall, after a record 2015 and defying Brexit predictions - driven by the continuing switch from mainstream to premium and the switch from hatchbacks to CUVs.

Vauxhall is desparate for the new models which are imminent.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    I think the Crossland X and the Grandland X are just the rebadged version of the Buick Envision and GMC Terrain.
    Peugeot 3008, Peugeot 5008 and another GM model.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,621 Times in 4,682 Posts

This is impressive for a practically dead market.

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Grandland is probably the Terrain and Crossland I don't think is related to anything we're getting, but they are getting a large supposedly (at one point) shared Cadillac-Buick SUV to bookend the lineup with an Adam X.

Sounds like an Enclave to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,022 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    The UK market grew by 2% in 2016 overall, after a record 2015 and defying Brexit predictions - driven by the continuing switch from mainstream to premium and the switch from hatchbacks to CUVs.

Vauxhall is desparate for the new models which are imminent.
    How do you think the new Equinox/Terrain would sell in Europe (as an Opel/Vauxhall)?

What about the new Traverse, or is it still too big?

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    How do you think the new Equinox/Terrain would sell in Europe (as an Opel/Vauxhall)?

What about the new Traverse, or is it still too big?
    Opel/Vauxhall have already pre-announced the Crossland X and Grandland X, reskins of the Peugeot 3008 and 5008 respectively, as CUVs to replace the Meriva and Zafira MPVs in 2017 with a "flagship" SUV in 2018 to replace and sit above the Antara - I think known as Saturn Vue mk2 and Captiva Sport elsewhere.

Given that the new Equinox is due as a RHD Holden, my guess is that this will be used in LHD/RHD form by Opel/Vauxhall as the 2018 flagship - although the way GolfBravo talks, the RHD Vauxhall version may get canned due to Brexit, I guess that depends where this Opel flagship is built.

I believe the new Traverse is way too big for Europe - it's bigger than the Audi Q7 which is too big for most Europeans although it's popular among wealthy moms - VW have no plans to sell the new Atlas in Europe - there's little demand for full 6/7 seaters, although plenty of choice in 5+2.
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 01-14-2017 at 01:39 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (01-14-2017)

GTC
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Some of you have to understand that Opel cannot sell any SUVs originally designed for American market. First of all they are too big, and second of all is that interior (and a bit less exterior) design is simply years behind european taste. All European cars have much more attention paid to details and the looks is more expensive. Just remember fiasco with Opel Sintra for example, or Antara (mainly designed in Korea)... or to simplify it for you - find me a single one car currently on market in Europe that is designed first for American market and that has some good selling results in Europe. Opel needs "Flagship SUV" as they announced it, not some mediocre rebranded Chevrolet.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by GTC View Post
    Some of you have to understand that Opel cannot sell any SUVs originally designed for American market. First of all they are too big, and second of all is that interior (and a bit less exterior) design is simply years behind european taste. All European cars have much more attention paid to details and the looks is more expensive. Just remember fiasco with Opel Sintra for example, or Antara (mainly designed in Korea)... or to simplify it for you - find me a single one car currently on market in Europe that is designed first for American market and that has some good selling results in Europe. Opel needs "Flagship SUV" as they announced it, not some mediocre rebranded Chevrolet.
    Trax, as the Mokka X, works in Europe - Equinox is as big as GM can go for Opel/Vauxhall - Traverse, Tahoe and Suburban would be too big.

Opel/Vauxhall Sintra, 2nd generation U-body built at Doraville, Georgia, was a disaster in build quality - quite possibly the worst vehicle ever sold here - and we had some bad ones of our own.

Hyundai have spent many decades gradually improving their product quality in all respects to the point where they're better than Opel/Vauxhall, or at worst equal. Daewoo were doing the same thing, a couple of decades behind, but with budget price points way below Opel/Vauxhall were doing ok using previous generation Opel platforms. The GM took full control, rebadging them as Chevrolet, and increasing European prices up to Opel/Vauxhall level. The resulting collapse of Daewoo/Chevrolet in Europe was inevitable.

The Antara, aka Captiva Sport, might have done ok in Europe if it had been badged/priced as a budget Daewoo but as a mainstream-priced Opel/Vauxhall it was off the pace at launch and fallen further behind since.

I wouldn't say that American design is behind European - it's just different - a difference that US brands can't handle although Asian and European brands seem to handle ok on imports into the US - even Opels can be sold as Buicks there!

Unlike many on GMI, I see the benefit of platform-sharing even across widely separated brands - so if Opel have effectively been told to design/build a flagship on the 2018 Equinox platform it has a good chance of working, I presume the crossover variant of the E2xx platform derived from Epsilon, which Opel knows all about - I'm just not sure if the flying pigs delivered that message properly!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

GTC (01-15-2017)

GTC
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Mokka works in Europe because there was much more Opel involment in this project than it was with Antara.

When I say "behind" i think of some fine details - for example look at the LaCrosse and new Insignia. Insignia looks way better. LaCrosse simply doesn't have that "something" for me. It looks nice, it uses all Opel details in its design, but still proportions of back-end and side-line of the car are fail for me. Front end works fine.

Opel's design works in America because Americans generally like European cars and ofcourse you will like something what is better.
    Chevrolet was fail in Europe because of the price tags just like you said. They are years behind Hyundai-Kia and still wanted to have almost same price tags as Opel. And quality and technology was at least one generation behind Opel.

I also agree with you about platform sharing and also engine sharings between GM companies. I think it can make big cost savings around all brands. But generally I dont like attitude to Opel. Opel is behind all most important technologies and projects GM ever made and still they somehow managed to steal all of that and make Opel brand surviving at the market day-to-day.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Given that the new Equinox is due as a RHD Holden, my guess is that this will be used in LHD/RHD form by Opel/Vauxhall as the 2018 flagship - although the way GolfBravo talks, the RHD Vauxhall version may get canned due to Brexit, I guess that depends where this Opel flagship is built.
    No, not that. The V6 and OPC.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    No, not that. The V6 and OPC.
    In that case I'm baffled as to why the UK matters at all for the V6 / OPC - it only sells in minute numbers in the UK, under 1,000 in total in the 8 years that Insignia has been available

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 933 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

In addition .......

For the EU

Marketshare % '16 /'15 Units DEC '16 /'15 Units % change '16YTD / '15YTD % change

FORD................ 6.5 7.0 74,574 77,592 ‐3.9% / 7.0 7.2 1,022,272 992,232 +3.0%

OPEL Group....... 6.2 6.3 71,232 69,891 +1.9% 6.7 6.8 979,427 928,878 +5.4%

OPEL/VAUXHALL 6.2 6.3 71,232 69,696 +2.2% 6.7 6.7 976,616 925,062 +5.6%

CHEVROLET....... 0.0 0.0 0 129 ‐100.0 0.0 0.0 2,264 3,292 ‐31.2

Other GM.......... 0.0 0.0 0 66 ‐100.0 0.0 0.0 547 524 +4.

_________

And for EU + EFTA ( 'big' number )

Marketshare % '16 /'15 Units DEC '16 /'15 Units % change '16YTD / '15YTD % change

FORD............... 6.4 6.9 76,478 79,841 ‐4.2 6.9 7.1% 1,043,295 1,013,894 +2.9%

OPEL Group...... 6.1 6.2 73,235 71,417 +2.5% 6.6% 6.7 996,895 946,383 +5.3%

OPEL/VAUXHALL 6.1 6.2 73,075 71,169 +2.7% 6.6 6.6 993,494 942,148 +5.4%

CHEVROLET...... 0.0 0.0 105 157 ‐33.1% 0.0 0.0 2,589 3,571 ‐27.5%

Other GM......... 0.0 0.0 55 91 ‐39.6% 0.0 0.0 812 664 +22.3%

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA108648117.PDF
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

In that case I'm baffled as to why the UK matters at all for the V6 / OPC
    V6 and OPC are vanity business in Europe. They can't afford it when vauxhall is losing so much money.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information