New GM Powertrain Europe head killed in bicycle accident

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New GM Powertrain Europe head killed in bicycle accident

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

New GM Powertrain Europe head killed in bicycle accident

Source: Automotive News eMail Alert

-----------------------------------------------------

Automotive News / Luca Ciferri / David Piper

TURIN -- The new head of General Motors Powertrain Europe was killed Sunday in a bicycle accident, a day before he was scheduled to assume his new duties.

David Piper, 47, was struck by a car at about 1 p.m. Sunday while he was riding his bicycle on a mountain road between Susa and Turin, the new headquarters of GM Powertrain Europe, GM said.

GM officials said they became alarmed when Piper failed to attend a Monday morning meeting and did not respond to calls to his mobile telephone.

His wife, Debra, had called the Turin office from her Michigan home because she was unable to reach her husband on Sunday, the company said.

La Stampa, a Turin newspaper, reported that Piper was not carrying identification when he was struck and killed. The newspaper quoted the driver of the vehicle as saying: "I do not know how it happened, but suddenly I lost control of my car, which went on a slide. I did not realize a bicyclist was coming the other way."

An emergency helicopter reached the scene within minutes, but too late to save Piper, whose body was found about 100 feet from the crash site, the newspaper said.
    GM named Piper vice president and general manager of GM Powertrain Europe on July 28. He was scheduled to replace Greg Deveson, who will become president of Magna Powertrain's North American operations Sept. 1.

Piper previously was executive director of product engineering for GM Powertrain Europe. He moved to Turin in 2001, when he became general director of product engineering for a joint venture between GM Powertrain and Fiat.

Before that he was chief engineer of commercial transmissions for GM's Allison Transmission Division in Indianapolis.

Piper had a degree in mechanical engineering from Kettering University and an MBA degree from Michigan State University. He joined GM in 1976 as a co-op student at GM Hydramatic in Ypsilanti, Mich.

Piper is survived by his wife and two sons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: New GM Powertrain Europe head killed in bicycle accident

Wow, that's horrible. A real shame.

Thanks

That's terrible.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chevynj's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, no, and they didn't know until he didn't how. That is horrible, my condolences to his family.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
    —Elbert Hubbard

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information