GM readying more powerful Adam models; 3-cylinder EcoBoost contender coming?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM readying more powerful Adam models; 3-cylinder EcoBoost contender coming?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

GM readying more powerful Adam models; 3-cylinder EcoBoost contender coming?

GM readying more powerful Adam models
    By Drew Johnson
    Thursday, Nov 15th, 2012

General Motors' European operations are said to be working on two hotter versions of the automaker's latest Adam compact. The Adam is sold as an Opel in mainland Europe and under the Vauxhall banner in the UK.

According to Auto Express, Opel/Vauxhall is working on a warmed over version of the Adam that will offer greater power than the standard version of the car. Although not an all-out performance model, the hotter Adam will use a 140 horsepower version of GM's 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder. The current Adam relies on a de-tuned 100 horsepower 1.4L turbo four.

CONTINUE AT: http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-ready...am-models.html
    Last edited by nadepalma; 11-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GM readying more powerful Adam models; 3-cyclinder EcoBoost contender coming?

The Adam, armed with the 1.4T as base engine and the 1.6T as the performance engine, is exactly what is needed, and what I had wanted for a Buick version. This car could be a very serious Fiat 500 fighter in the U.S....

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Re: GM readying more powerful Adam models; 3-cyclinder EcoBoost contender coming?

A Buick Adam EV could be another sort of halo car, too...one can dream.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Between Chevrolet, Opel and Buick, they could use 3 versions of powerful ecotec's ranging from 200 HP to 300 HP depending on application. There is no reason why an AWD Mokka OPC and its Buick counterpart cannot pack 300 HP.
    The Equinox Terrain Twins could also use a kick in the pants 4 Banger Motor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Between Chevrolet, Opel and Buick, they could use 3 versions of powerful ecotec's ranging from 200 HP to 300 HP depending on application. There is no reason why an AWD Mokka OPC and its Buick counterpart cannot pack 300 HP.
    I'd only ask for 200 hp yet I bet we won't even get that. I'll wait and see what happens.
    AWD wagons
    Feeling Good by David Burns

Biodiesel forum
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
    Fuel documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CBOdgBlk8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I know we'll never get an ADAM in North America, with ANY engine, but a Buick version of an AWD Mokka OPC sounds enticing, if it were available with a manual transmission, like the sporty versions of the Regal and Verano.

Encore GS?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the day would never come when people would be excited over a 3cyl engine......It's here,what a pity.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

These guys just don't know jack. The Family 0 1.4 in the as-released Adam is not turbo'd. It's the 1.4 as used in the Corsa and it puts out 100hp naturally-aspirated. This motor in the Cruze is turbo'd.

I don't think a lot of you understand how small the Adam is. It's wheelbase is 4" shorter than a Spark and it weighs 2400lb. The Family 1-sized 1.6 turbo motor would be total overkill. It would be being torque-managed to buggery by ESC and weigh a ton in that tiny nose - like Mike Tyson haning off the front fascia. I doubt it would fit into the engine bay. With the 1.4, it would be a weapon and probbly quicker than any baby hatch from competing makers like the Alfa Mito and Fiat 500 Abarth

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Range Rover Evoque

All I know, is that I saw a ton of these little things in the street of Portugal. Looked great.

2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Past: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    These guys just don't know jack. The Family 0 1.4 in the as-released Adam is not turbo'd. It's the 1.4 as used in the Corsa and it puts out 100hp naturally-aspirated. This motor in the Cruze is turbo'd.

I don't think a lot of you understand how small the Adam is. It's wheelbase is 4" shorter than a Spark and it weighs 2400lb. The Family 1-sized 1.6 turbo motor would be total overkill. It would be being torque-managed to buggery by ESC and weigh a ton in that tiny nose - like Mike Tyson haning off the front fascia. I doubt it would fit into the engine bay. With the 1.4, it would be a weapon and probbly quicker than any baby hatch from competing makers like the Alfa Mito and Fiat 500 Abarth

Total length that car is big enough. The issue is the wheelbase is pretty short. There is no reason the car couldn't get a 1.6t that would put it into cooper S range. GM needs to go after the "premium" sub compact segment. Around here the Abarth and Cooper S are everywhere. With hyperstrut and a little tech the car could easily handle 200ish HP.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ChevroletGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

A Buick Opel Adam EV would be killer based on the specs from the Spark EV.
    Taking Back America, One Chevy at a Time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post
    All I know, is that I saw a ton of these little things in the street of Portugal. Looked great.
    The official international presentation was here in Lisbon

Thanks
    Last edited by Uligar; 11-18-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Current Ride:
    OPEL Astra Caravan 1.6T 180hp
    OPEL Agila B 1.2 86hp
    OPEL Calibra 2,0 Turbo 4x4 204hp
    (280 Nm 6,8 s 245 km/h 1995)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VEII SV6 "Chlorophyll"

Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    A Buick Adam EV could be another sort of halo car, too...one can dream.
    It'd be a David, wouldn't it?
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.
    [I]plus[I] U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6

Keep Holden On.

St George Illawarra, Mudgee Dragons

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I don't care for the rear side fender lines of this car or the white roof. I'm sure in Europe it's attractive and I hope GM sells a ton of them.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information