Enhanced Opel FlexFix System carries up to four bikes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Opel FlexFix System carries up to four bikes

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

2012-04-18
    Opel Media Online

- Second generation carrier can take more weight including e-bikes
    - New tilt function facilitates access to tail gate even when carrier is fully loaded
    - User friendly, no need for tools and easy on the back thanks to low height

Rüsselsheim. The enhanced, second generation FlexFix bicycle carrier system which can take up to four bikes at a time is now available for the Astra Sports Tourer and the Zafira Tourer. The innovative system, which is exclusive to Opel and is integrated in the rear bumper of the vehicle, ensures stress-free transportation of bicycles, so that a holiday or country break with family or friends is a relaxing affair.

The enhanced Opel FlexFix system for the Astra Sports Tourer and the Zafira Tourer is geared towards the transportation of two bicycles, as is the case with the Corsa, Meriva, five-door Astra and the Antara. It now offers a series of innovations including an increased load capacity. The first and second bike can now weigh up to 30 kilograms each (so far 20 kilograms max.). This means that the increasing popular but heavy e-bikes can now easily be carried.

As part of the second FlexFix generation an extension kit is now available, including a clip-on adaptor so that a further two bicycles of up to 20 kilograms each can be transported. The entire loading capacity is 80 kilograms. Special holders with rubber inlays ensure that the bikes are held securely in place. Additionally, the new carrier system can be locked so that the bikes are protected from thieves when the vehicle is stationary. Another big selling point of the FlexFix system of the second generation is that even when fully loaded it can be tilted so that the tailgate of the vehicle can be opened easily, providing quick access to the luggage compartment.

Onboard user-friendly and ergonomic flexibility exclusive to Opel

With the FlexFix Opel remains the only car maker to offer a bicycle carrier system that is fully integrated and always onboard. The user-friendly bicycle carrier is very easy to operate as it can be adjusted by hand without the need to use tools. When not in use it disappears invisibly into the rear bumper. This is another example of the typical flexibility associated with Opel.

Another big plus point of the Opel FlexFix system is its outstanding ergonomics: in contrast to other systems such as roof racks where you have to lift the bicycle high over your head, the FlexFix carrier is located close to the ground making the awkward act of lifting unnecessary. The back experts at Aktion Gesunder Rücken e.V. (AGR – Action for Healthy Backs) emphasized this when as the world’s first production car the new Meriva was awarded their highly coveted seal of approval for its overall ergonomic concept including the FlexFix carrier.

In contrast to roof rack based systems, the vehicle is not subjected to a 120 km/h speed limit, as the bikes are stored at the rear. This stable arrangement is particularly secure in a sharp braking maneuver or during impact. If the gear box is in reverse, an acoustic signal warns the driver that the bicycle carrier is still fully extended.

The prices for the FlexFix carrier start at 590 euro (all prices refer to Germany and recommended retail price including VAT) in the Corsa, Meriva and Astra (five-door version) and 650 euro in the Antara. The newly enhanced FlexSystem can be purchased for 690 euro for the Astra Sports Tourer and for 790 euro in the Zafira Tourer. The adaptor kit which provides space for a third and fourth bicycle and is used in combination with the second generation carrier is available for 227,30 euro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Enhanced Opel FlexFix System carries up to four bikes

Not my cup of tea

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

GM should bring a system like this for their CUV's.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rueben44's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the coolest feature I have ever seen and still wonder why GM will not bring it to the US. How can you find fault with it because it hides in the bumper till you need it plus it is light weight. Do you know how popular this would be with people under 30!

The Buick Encore should have this upon release as an option.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

We need GM to offer this here.

We also need the Zafira Tourer MPV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44 View Post
    This is the coolest feature I have ever seen and still wonder why GM will not bring it to the US. How can you find fault with it because it hides in the bumper till you need it plus it is light weight. Do you know how popular this would be with people under 30!

The Buick Encore should have this upon release as an option.
    People under thirty don't want to transport bikes on the back. They want the Thule roof rack for street cred!

There are a lot of neato things in Europe that don't make it here like the hidden hitches (not DOT approved). Perhaps this system would not pass DOT regs.
    Past
    1984 Ford Crown Victoria
    1994 Buick Park Avenue
    1995 Ford Probe GT
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

Present
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T05 Manual
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country

Future
    2015 Volt 2.0

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

GM has done some highly scientific market research (looking out the window of their Detroit headquarters in January), and determined that bike racks won't fly in the USA. Sorry.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by krusshall View Post
    People under thirty don't want to transport bikes on the back. They want the Thule roof rack for street cred!

There are a lot of neato things in Europe that don't make it here like the hidden hitches (not DOT approved). Perhaps this system would not pass DOT regs.
    It's more along the lines it would not pass FMVSS rear bumper standards in the US.......

That being said, This option would be nice for the US.......

Ken

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I get all kinds of crap for having a bike rack on my GTO but its functional and if I want I can tow just as much as our old Terrain could.

This needed to be an option from day one. It would make GM look instantly cool to the under 40 crowd again.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

Still saying all the Opel s are the best looking cars in the GM family

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krusshall View Post

I doubt it is the regulation especially given the placement of the plate and other systems that we use here but who knows. Also young people don't want to put bikes on the roof they don't have a choice.

Oh and yes Opel's are the best in the whole of GM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster

Thanks

The newly enhanced FlexSystem can be purchased for $906 US dollars for the Astra Sports Tourer and for$1030 US dollars in the Zafira Tourer. The adaptor kit which provides space for a third and fourth bicycle and is used in combination with the second generation carrier is available for $299 US dollars

I like what they are doing here but Holy price$.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Insignia ST/2011/brown

At least the price already includes VAT.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Why not just buy a bike rack and save about 800 bucks?

I dont get it
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

Thanks

Well those prices are not representative of what it may cost for us in the US.We don't no what it would cost if sold in our market what was don't was conversion of another currency to ours which is not how thing like this work a lot of the time.

What makes this special is when not in use it is hidden behind the bumper of the car so you can keep the clean original look of your car. Shocking this would have to be explained!
    Last edited by rueben44; 04-20-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information