GM Inside News Forum banner

2018 Holden Commodore takes shape

6K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  Ruperts Trooper 
#1 ·
2018 Holden Commodore takes shape
No sedan, no V8 and smaller than the one it replaces;
The first imported Commodore will represent the biggest change to Holden large cars in decades.

Drive
Toby Hagon
26 October 2016

Due in 2018, the controversial new Commodore will for the first time drive the front wheels and not be offered with a V8 engine option or a sedan body style.

The reduced length hasn't negatively impacted interior space because of improved packaging as a result of having the engine run across the engine bay (in an east-west configuration) rather than along the length of the car, as with every other Commodore. So the distance between front and rear occupants is just 1mm shorter than the outgoing car and rear knee room is claimed to be identical.

But the narrower cabin means the Commodore is no longer as well suited to three adults across the rear, long a sales pitch of the big-car-for-a-big-country.

And while front headroom is unchanged, rear headroom has shrunk 13mm, although Holden still claims it's more than adequate for tall Australians.

The traditional Commodore sedan will be killed off, too, instead replaced with a five-door hatchback body style to be marketed as Sportback.

There will also be a wagon, or Sportwagon, which is expected to spawn a Subaru Outback-style light duty off-roader.
Under the bonnet is the choice of two 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engines – one petrol and one diesel – as well as a 3.6-litre V6.
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'm curious about this. If Aussies love large cars, and a RWD hairy chested large sedan isn't in the offering, wouldn't it make better sense to offer something the size of the Impala and LaCrosse as a "direct replacement" for the Commodore? Those offerings can be had with large 4-cylinders, turbo 4-cylinders, and V6s of all sizes. Plus, if the US market W-bodies could fit a V8 under the hood transversely (Pontiac Bonneville GXP, Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Impala SS, etc), then I'm sure the same can be managed with the larger P2XX platform under the all new LaCrosse (though, as those W-body models had 303 hp V8s, I'm not sure if it's really necessary as GM's best V6s easily match that number now).

Additionally, if gasoline prices and government mandates are a factor, then I would imagine that a "companion, mid-sized offering" the size of a Malibu/Insignia/Regal could compliment the lineup (a "Commandant"?). That would never directly replace the Commodore, but could easily help take the pressure off the larger car's mandate to be "all things to all people", and reserve a more hallowed spot for the range-topper.

Just my two cents.

As an aside, what is Ford's strategy as the Falcon sunsets? Is it to bring the Taurus over?

#14 ·
It will be interesting to see how it goes. I remember when Commodore first appeared it didn't sell well as it was basically an Opel Omega with a Senator front and there was a bailout whilst they re-engineered it to local conditions. I hope they learned from that and have properly engineered this one.

#19 ·
I don't know what I feel. Part of me wants to like it, but it's kind of like trying to get excited by a new product released by a company that just retrenched you.

#22 ·
x1,000,000

I'm having the same problem. When the Commodore is gone, the Falcon is gone, all that is left will have to compete on an even playing field. I recently drove the Kia Optima GT which is ok (much better than something like a Camry etc.) and if it came in a wagon, that would be on the list. Other honourable mentions are the Outback, Skoda Superb/VW Passat, and then we head to SUV territory. If the new Commodore has some of the old Commodore flavour, I would still have to give it a chance, because that's how I chose them previously. Best fit for me. It wont be what I want (still enjoy driving a RWD car and that's unlikely to change) but I'm sure it's going to be a pretty impressive offering... AKA best of what's left.

I'll just rebadge it with arrowheads or something.

#23 ·
Saw quite a lot of Skodas in Italy - I really like the Superb wagons. The Levorg is high on my list, but lower on the rest on my family's list. I am however getting sick of having to get the trailer out just to take a trip to Bunnings - I used to tie pretty much everything on the roof or in the back of my Berlina.

#26 · (Edited)
I agree re: Skodas, but Levorg is an abortion. Subaru needs design input badly. I used to fit a multipurpose ladder that collapsed to 1.4m sideways in the VZ boot. Won't fit in the VF.

Wheels mag wrote in their preview that the V6 AWD version was something Holden specifically asked Opel to build for them and I'd say was the car they were going to build at Elizabeth if the shutdown didn't happen
Elizabeth was going to produce all E2xx variants.

#27 ·
Actually I was just looking on carsales - turns out Levorg has one of those stupid electric park brakes like my Commodore. WRX sedan at least has traditional lever.

Of all the things I could change about the Commodore, the park brake would be on top of the list, followed by the rev hang when the clutch is depressed meaning quick gearchanges are impossible. These two things take the fun out of driving what is otherwise still an awesome car after 2 years of ownership.

#49 ·
Had a closer look @ LGW & there's no way a transverse mount will fit the Insignia without major rework. Simply outside the design remit. LF3/4 are no better. The setup on all of these is symmetrically optimized, unsurprisingly given their source, for longitudinal mount. Packaging is good with intercooler on top but the side mounted turbos require too much space in FWD orientation. The old 2.8l LP9 was a single turbo with traditional plumbing, so could be shoehorned into the OPC. Why even bother engineering for NA V6 when a 2.0T I4 performs as well/better with fewer packaging constraints? Marketing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.