XTS Drivers Decide How Gauge Cluster Appears

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XTS Drivers Decide How Gauge Cluster Appears

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    November 30, 2012

Cadillac’s new XTS lets drivers decide the design and theme for the luxury sedan’s gauge cluster, an industry-exclusive feature that allows the choice of four layouts from simplistic and minimal to ultra-informative.

The experience is powered by CUE, Cadillac’s in-vehicle experience for connectivity and control and is available on XTS models with the Premium or Platinum trim level.

Controlled by an intuitive multi-directional switch on the steering wheel, the 12.3-inch LCD screen replaces traditional analog dials. Each of the four cluster layouts continually displays vehicle speed and fuel information, just like the dials of old. What’s new is the reconfigurable display technology that enabled Cadillac designers to formulate options for both the design and type of information displayed. The result is four distinct clusters that skew to particular styles of luxury sedan drivers.

“We spent time with owners of all kinds of vehicles to learn how they used the radio, navigation, phone settings, and other user connectivity features,” said Scott Martin, senior creative designer in charge of building the digital cluster layouts. “Most drivers fall into one of four different categories in terms of the amount of information they want to see at any given time, so we built the XTS gauge cluster layouts to appeal to any one of those drivers.”

The “Balanced” display is the default cluster design for XTS, designed for drivers who prefer a traditional layout while determining the size and graphic quality of the display. The layout features three “zones” across the screen, displaying a speedometer, tachometer, fuel level, radio station information, and outside temperature.

The “Performance” layout is intended for enthusiast drivers who want information on the car itself. The clean look features a large speedometer on the right and tachometer on the left. The driver can also modify the display with other performance-driven information such as fuel consumption and tire pressure.

The “Enhanced” cluster display option is for the uber-connected driver. The web-inspired design features a navigation map on the left and digital speed and fuel readings on the right. The layout is simple and clean, allowing the driver to pull up and scroll through all the information pages with the touch of a button.

The “Simple” cluster layout is designed for the minimalist who desires a more sparing approach to graphics. The cluster focuses on speed, fuel and audio, with additional information available at the driver’s request.

Each cluster layout allows users to view more information through a “screen-within-a-screen” feature. This smaller display in the center of the speedometer and tachometer images lets users view navigation routes and control the radio, among other features.

“Drivers can also further customize each layout to their own personal liking,” Martin said. “They can flip through all the information pages to permanently display their favorite preset radio stations, check tire pressure, navigation, fuel range, and temperature among other features.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: XTS Drivers Decide How Gauge Cluster Appears

"Simple" would be more like a '90s Deville
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Walking
    Thanks

With the technology today for smartphones, tablets, etc it should be carried over into every new vehicle. Ivesaid for years that eventually cars will allow individual drivers to customize the look of cluster adn center stack. This is a step in that direction.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Got to play with the XTS IP at the LAIAS on Saturday. Very cool feature, though, the snob in me would like to see smoother graphic animations.

All in all, the XTS interior has to be the nicest I've ever seen in any car. There's an ambiance in it that I've only felt in high-end Mercedes and such, and even then, the XTS better.

All the car needs is a better motor to rate a "10" in my book.
    2006 Impala SS: 245,000 miles and counting
    2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) --Click for Info; 484 RWHP/418 RWTQ. LQ4 block, LS3 heads and intake, lots of other stuff, too.
    2009 Saturn VUE XE AWD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 914 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I was having a discussion with a few buddies who are in the "Cloud" business.

The discussion turned to cars. And perhaps I had too much wine. But we all sort of knew the market was trending in this direction, but no one (in my circle anyways) actually put it into words. But I came out with....

"In 2-3 years, we will be judging cars, not by HP or torque or driving characteristics, but by the quality of the car's API's.

I couldn't believe that came out of me. And the thing is, it's probably more true than not!! I'm probably not the first person out there who has come up with that statement either. But it makes a whole lot of sense.

Technology today has been driving towards a more connected society, whether it's mobile or social or iDevices or Cloud or whatever. One of the last areas that have yet to be truly connected is the automobile.

Yes, there are cars that offer mobile hotspots. There are cars that offer streaming services. Some cars can read back Tweets or FB status updates. Other cars have an iPad headrest option. But there isn't a car company out there that has properly executed a truly connected solution for the automobile.

This is probably an area where the world does truly mourn the loss of Steve Jobs. He's probably the only one out there to find a way to simplify the solution to the point where anyone in the world could work it.
    Personally, the solution for automobile connectivity IS NOT going to come from Detroit or Japan or Munich or Korea. The solution is going to come from Silicon Valley -- somewhere.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero

SAN FRANCISCO 2024!! -- http://sf2024.org

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 90CamaroRS's Avatar
    Thanks

I for one am all for cool things like this in cars, but I don't want the Windows/OSX argument to come to cars. It will be the day when were all sitting around talking about how my cars API's are better than yours instead of horsepower and torque numbers...

I think OBD-II and the digital dash in my 89 S10 Blazer is about as far as I would go to be honest haha.
    Proud Owner Of a 1990 Camaro RS

Best Mileage to date: 33.8MPG
    525 highway miles on a single tank

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Got to play with the XTS IP at the LAIAS on Saturday. Very cool feature, though, the snob in me would like to see smoother graphic animations.
    I agree. I find the gauge cluster actually looks quite sharp but the animations are both choppy and unnecessary. However, even more so, I find the renderings in the main CUE panel to be surprisingly unrefined compared to MyLink.

All in all, the XTS interior has to be the nicest I've ever seen in any car. There's an ambiance in it that I've only felt in high-end Mercedes and such, and even then, the XTS better.
    The minimalist approach appeals to me as well. Material quality is excellent and nothing screams cheap gimmick.

All the car needs is a better motor to rate a "10" in my book.
    Twin turbo anyone? It definitely does fall into the land barge category at the moment.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I can't wait for the release of this technology in the c7 corvette next month.

It's quite minor in comparison yet this reminds me of the attractiveness in being able to alter the HUD screen in my vette with different displays..

Of course this new technology is a lot more impressive

Can't wait to hear the media go nuts on the corvettes interior with tech like this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    It's quite minor in comparison yet this reminds me of the attractiveness in being able to alter the HUD screen in my vette with different displays..
    Speaking of which, the HUD in the XTS is excellent.

Here's hoping the haptic seats make it into the C7 as well: that would be a cool feature to help keep it between the ditches.
    Last edited by ne_one; 12-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I agree. I find the gauge cluster actually looks quite sharp but the animations are both choppy and unnecessary. However, even more so, I find the renderings in the main CUE panel to be surprisingly unrefined compared to MyLink.

The minimalist approach appeals to me as well. Material quality is excellent and nothing screams cheap gimmick.

Twin turbo anyone? It definitely does fall into the land barge category at the moment.
    I disagree. It only weighs 100 lbs more than a CTS. Acceleration is fine. Of course it could be a few tents quicker but they chose to put in an economy gear.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Hasn't Mercedes had this for a few years now on the S class?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    I disagree. It only weighs 100 lbs more than a CTS. Acceleration is fine. Of course it could be a few tents quicker but they chose to put in an economy gear.
    Having driven the car, I would say the performance is barely adequate. Sure, if you jump on it, it pulls fairly well, but it doesn't have the premium effortless feel around town that I would expect from a car in the class.
    2006 Impala SS: 245,000 miles and counting
    2002 Camaro Z28 (M6) --Click for Info; 484 RWHP/418 RWTQ. LQ4 block, LS3 heads and intake, lots of other stuff, too.
    2009 Saturn VUE XE AWD

Thanks

The ATS needs this as an option at least.
    The gauges on the ATS are way too generic in my opinion.
    untitled

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 914 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Hasn't Mercedes had this for a few years now on the S class?
    Yup. S-Class has had it for some time now. Then the XJ. Now the XTS.

But Cadillac Evoq displayed the concept of a "glass cockpit" long before S-Class.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero

SAN FRANCISCO 2024!! -- http://sf2024.org

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Having driven the car, I would say the performance is barely adequate. Sure, if you jump on it, it pulls fairly well, but it doesn't have the premium effortless feel around town that I would expect from a car in the class.
    I agree. It is not effortless. But the 3.6l doesn't have much power down low.
    I drove the 4006 lb base car not the the 4253 lb platinum awd. So that might be the difference if you drove the heavier one.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information