GM Inside News Forum banner

Video - 2017 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2016 Lexus GS F – Redline: Comparison

6K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 ·
2017 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2016 Lexus GS F – Redline: Comparison
Redline Reviews
January 3, 2017

#39 ·
A pretty fair review. Both cars seem overpriced by around $20k to me. The Cadillac is nice, but their interiors really could use some unique touches like the little switches for the windows and blinker stalks, and cup holders, and things like that which are not just parts bin plastic if GM expects over $100K for them. This is the kind of stuff Mercedes does, so Cadillac must too. That said, the interior is still very nice.

The Lexus may have a few bits of nicer switchgear, but I felt one of the only areas of bias was the interior preference. Neither CUE nor Lexus' infotainment are great, but I would take CUE anyday over that odd mouse interface which doesn't even have touchscreen support (I've used both before, and I don't hate them the way all the auto mags do). The dashboard design around the screen, the center console door as mentioned in the video, and the nasty jaggy-gate shifter are areas where the Lexus design is not well-balanced, and makes it feel like trendy Japanese audio equipment rather than serious luxury to me. Kudos to them for fitting the bigger back seat and trunk in the smaller car though.

The last bit that surprised me was the driving video comparison. Out of the two acceleration runs, the Lexus looked A LOT more fun. From outside, the Cadillac sounds leagues better. No contest. But inside, even if it is speaker noise, the Lexus seemed quite fast with an exotic, mechanical racing of horsepower. The CTS-V reminded me of my Trans Am, which always has torque, but as soon as the auto downshifts, you get smacked with an uncontrollable amount of power. The CTS-V has about double the power of my Trans Am, but also twice the number of gears so you don't go from overdrive 4th down into 2nd when you floor it, which is crazy when the road isn't straight--while 3rd is too slow. The Lexus looked easier to modulate, where the CTS-V seemed more like you were at the mercy of the shift logic, with StabiliTrac as your only line of defense. I'd have to try them first hand to make that call myself, but the view out the windshield looked plenty fast in both cars.

#43 · (Edited)
There is a test in Head2head of Alfa romeo Quadrifoglio. BMW M3 competition package, Cadillac ATS-V and Mercedes C63S AMG...maybe if someone have subscription:D
It is not same class as CTS-V , Eclass 63 AMGS or BMW M5 but it could be fun.;)

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/...a-quadrifoglio-versus-everything-/0_q8q9ld8d/

My guess for times on track would be
1. BMW M3 CP or Alfa Quadrifoglio
3.Cadillac ATS-V
4.Mercedes C63SAMG

Differences..half a second to a second between them..Mercedes probably even more.

For overall win:

My money is on Alfa Romeo Quadrofoglio. It has power advantage, AWD, some luxury..probably best combination of both worlds.
BMW M3-it is motortrend. I do think they like BMW in general but i might be wrong here
Cadillac has probably best or close to best handling... but lacks in other departments here (it is "luxury" performance class not just performance..not luxury like E class or 5 but still luxury).
Mercedes...probably best interior, powerful engine, but i doubt it has anywhere near best handling or some other performance parts.
C63AMGS probably puts more emphasis on luxury (maybe not as important here as in larger luxury performance sedans) than performance with C63AMG S so i give them very little chance for win here.

#44 ·
My only issue with the CTS V and the ATS V which was kind of revealed in this article is the Interior particularly the center sta=ck. The piano black plastic which is right at home in a Chevy should not be in a Caddy. Also those small buttons need to go as well. It astonishes me why the center stack for these cars was not replaced. On that note, the CTS V and V sport are great cars!!!

#45 ·
I was surprised to find at Carscoops a page for both future cars and concepts with pics I've not seen here or at Autoverdict.....I will check a few times weekly for new pics, especially Cadillac and Impala and Camaro refreshes. I am very curious how Cadillac's basic look will be affected by the Escala concept.

#47 ·
Christ, do ALL these guys need to play that funky musik for our entertainment and enlightenment?

Dood could use time in the weight room.

I'd take the Caddy because I love Cad...hahaha just kidding. That Lexus outdoor grille front end would be enough to send me directly to the Caddy dealer. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

#48 ·
They are Both good cars,but Caddy is better handles better and has more power,,nuff said..

and that ugly Lexus grill looks :eek: only rice boys could like..

And plz dont bring any pos Merc into the tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.