GM Inside News Forum banner

Style Opinion: Cadillac Escala

6K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Citation84 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cadillac Escala Opining
Autos Of Interest

I didn’t make it to Pebble Beach this year but it would have been good to see Cadillac’s Escala Concept in person. I’ve seen many of their recent concepts and they are always more impressive in person. When your movements result in shifting shadows and the morphing of reflections details pop out that would otherwise be impossible to translate through a still image.

It looks like Cadillac will be moving to a horizontal headlight arrangement which is big change. Cadillac said that this design shows the brand’s new and evolved face that will begin appearing on production models. The front to me is a mixed bag, probably because I was still like the current one and was waiting for Cadillac to bring it to maturity.

Stoicism, or Cadillacs Poker Face?

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Autos Of Interest :Cadillac Escala Opining

I like the new grill, the colorless logo and the taillights (maybe I like the detailing of the taillights more than the actual shape). I suspect we will all need to get used to the tiny headlights, I bet everyone will be using those shortly. The new Mercedes concept has them as well.

And I love this picture posted by rotaryenginepete in http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/cadillac-escala-concept-car-reveal-video-256649/index3.html, great detailing and form.

#5 ·
I like the new grill, the colorless logo and the taillights (maybe I like the detailing of the taillights more than the actual shape). I suspect we will all need to get used to the tiny headlights, I bet everyone will be using those shortly. The new Mercedes concept has them as well.

And I love this picture posted by rotaryenginepete in http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/cadillac-escala-concept-car-reveal-video-256649/index3.html, great detailing and form.
I agree on all points. It is at least interesting to look at unlike the CT6. GM should have waited for this style to make it into production before coming out with the CT6, IMO

Good piece.

There's a lot to like with the new Escala concept. Some of the detailing won't make it to production, but certainly helps to move the design needle for the brand. However, while it is both handsome and elegant looking, there's no doubt that one could pick apart the design to find some "lifted" styling elements from other brands. The "shield shape" grille, alone, could be said to mimic Audi or Genesis. However, Caddy's design team has somehow made it their own.

Not loving the colorless emblem. Uwe has stated a few times that he wouldn't have picked the colors or shape of the revised emblem for the brand. If he's draining the color from it, then perhaps it would be best to just come up with something he likes (and chalk up the current logo as some kind of "stop gap" emblem).
Either bring back the wreath, or just make up an entirely new logo, maybe designed around a 'C'

#4 ·
Good piece.

There's a lot to like with the new Escala concept. Some of the detailing won't make it to production, but certainly helps to move the design needle for the brand. However, while it is both handsome and elegant looking, there's no doubt that one could pick apart the design to find some "lifted" styling elements from other brands. The "shield shape" grille, alone, could be said to mimic Audi or Genesis. However, Caddy's design team has somehow made it their own.

Not loving the colorless emblem. Uwe has stated a few times that he wouldn't have picked the colors or shape of the revised emblem for the brand. If he's draining the color from it, then perhaps it would be best to just come up with something he likes (and chalk up the current logo as some kind of "stop gap" emblem).

Reactions: steve333
#6 ·
It took a couple days to take it in, but the Escala has won me over! I'm a big fan of understated design and this reminds me a great deal of the Audi A7, yet it spices things up just enough to keep things exciting. I'd like to see it with the fastback toned down a bit as that trend is growing tired IMO. Escala as a design is definitely a big step in the right direction to my eyes!

#7 ·
Grill is great, love the little crests.....it's about time Cadillac got a distinct grill in something other than V Series cars. Profile is nice, tail lights are all wrong. Interior is spot on. Its a matter of preference; do you prefer the more classically modern look of Ciel and Elmiraj, or futuristic look of Escala?

My vote is for the former. I think its more distinguished as a Cadillac. The futuristic design looks like everything else.

#8 ·
It's an average design attempt. It's definitely too derivative to be a proper Cadillac. The front and rear-ends could have been cleaner. I'm not a fan of the grille and the combination of vertical and horizontal with the lighting. It would have been nice to see those lovely traditional Cadillac cues on this concept like we saw on the last two..... It will be very interesting to see how this new design direction develops.

#10 ·
I didn't like it when I saw it the first time. I don't like it now. The Escala looks like a typical Asian crib of European luxury design.

It was troubling to read that the Escala design language includes two themes. That is the first lesson in Bad Design 101. Two themes? Why stop at two? Why not three, four, five, or even six?

#11 ·

I wonder if the Escala is the "Mystery Cadillac" that we were told the Chinese we're so over-the-moon for?

Reactions: johnstarnes
#14 ·
I don't see much of a difference between this and the Buick Avenir. In my mind, GM gave them the same car and told them to put your best styling you think you will use for the next 5-10yrs.

So, you probably aren't seeing all of the styling cues Cadillac wanted to show you and what you are seeing are probably muted to a certain extent because they needed to be placed onto the same car as what Buick just showed.

Now I understand why there's internal GM squabbling over showing the Buick first. It took away from Caddy's ability to "show off". Now, if Cadillac comes out with anything like the Avenir/Escala then it will not be seen as Caddy-only design...

#18 ·
I'm sorry they are totally getting away from the styling that is the ElMiraj. That car looks at once both futuristic and retro at the same time. The slab sides are classic Cadillac while it is very sleek. This car, for me, while I like it, looks too generic luxury car. Take the Cadillac badges off and it could be anything...ElMiraj looks like a Cadillac!

#19 ·
I really like the styling of the Escala and the design language it brings. I am on my second new Cadillac, first an ATS and now a SRX, and have grown tired of the A&S designs and welcome the change. If they get that language to the market soon enough, and fix some other issues I have noticed (horrible paint quality) i may get another.

#21 · (Edited)
Interesting piece.

I can't say that I like the direction Cadillac is moving toward. The vertical headlamps were Cadillac distinctive, now we get Toyota-esque. Those three legged tail lights are just.....weird. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate them. Perhaps I need a few days of espresso and scones at Cadillac Haus.

The whole thing seems to lack passion or a clear idea of what Cadillac is, was or should be. Weak form, lots of busy surfacing. Such a hodgepodge.

GM Design seems to have lost it's mojo....

#22 ·
I like it but no where near as much as I liked the Elmiraj.

With all of the other car companies having horizontal accent lights on the exterior I feel like Cadillac got rid of one of their unique designs

#33 ·
As a technical exercise it's pretty bold. GM is basically saying that despite the enormous openings this car has (it's a pillarless five-door hatchback!) and its sheer size, the platform is still up to the standards of stiffness and refinement it needs to match.

The problem is, it doesn't really look all that great. Way too derivative, way too Germanic. It doesn't offend... but it's not the evolution of/move away from Art & Science it should be.

#35 · (Edited)
Some elements like the headlights are very nice. This would nt be a bad start for the future of Cadillac.
Still, as I look at the car, I cannot help but to hope that Cadillac is working furiously on the two vehicles it actually needs to get out and get out asap; namely a couple of CUVs smaller than the XT5. Once the future sales are secured, they can look at vehicles that will fairly soon become more niche like a rear drive sedan (yes, sedan).

Did anyone else see the numbers for Cadillac global sales for July? The SRX represented 1/3 of all Cadillacs sold, total.

#36 ·
Ultimately my verdict on the upcoming design lies in the execution:

I'll be in favor if:
-They end up integrating the horizontal LED signature into a overwhelmingly vertical production headlamp assembly
-They lengthen the vertical LED further up, possibly connecting with the horizontal element and sweeping over the front 1/4th of the wheel arches, mirroring the taillights
-Flagship sedan holds on to the classic three-box roofline
-Vertical taillights are given a more '3D' treatment, giving us our "fins"
-They keep the color in the Cadillac logo
-We get an option for the mesh (sport) grille or egg crate grille (luxury/classic)
-The bottom tip of the production grilles will be more pronounced than the Escala
I'll be neutral if:
-They keep the horizontal element, but only as LED DRLs seperate from the vertical element, which will house the production headlamps. (Similar to the "nike swoosh" on Lexus models)

I think it's a bad sign if:
-The production light assembly places most of the functions in the horizontal light elements, reducing the vertical lighting to vertical fog lamps
-They make the flagship a four-door coupe, copying the A7, Hofmeister kink and all.

#37 ·
I like it, but the chicken bones added to the tail lights need to go.Just a random attempt to be "different". Lots of wonderful details in the rear though.

Never understood these tail light squibs designers have used on the last Chrysler 200, the 08 Malibu or the Infiniti G whatever. Last Gen Camry was the worst in that regard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.