GM Inside News Forum banner

SRX-replacing Cadillac XT5 spied for the very first time

29K views 184 replies 62 participants last post by  Amphibian 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cadillac XT5 Forum

SRX-replacing Cadillac XT5 spied for the very first time

Expected to be called XT5 in line with the brand's new naming scheme, the crossover will be based on a scalable new platform called C1XX – or Chi, for short. In its shorter form, Chi is anticipated to underpin the XT5 as well as a new Chevy crossover and the next-gen GMC Acadia. In long-wheelbase form, the platform is slated to give us a larger Cadillac crossover as well as a new Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/30/2016-cadillac-xt5-srx-spy-shots/

See less See more
#3 ·
This is a much needed replacement of the SRX. The question I have will they move the price of entry up market like they did with the CTS? The good part of that question is I think Cadillac customers will pay more for a great SUV then they will for a great car.....
If this is done correct it will be a huge success......

#150 ·
The current SRX is a big hit dispite it's age. Let's hope Cadillac doesn't make the same mistakes with the next generation SRX that they did moving from the 2nd Gen CTS to the 3rd Gen CTS

#51 · (Edited)
It looks like it's the same size as the Buick Envision, it even has non-movable piece of glass by the side mirrors:

You might be right. If you look closely, you can see a corner of the headlamp unit through the mesh. This looks a lot like the one on the Envision.

Also, on the upper front fender just above the wheel well, the Buick sports a slightly arc-ed character line. You can see evidence of it under the padding on the photo of the test mule.

So you admit that it's a poser.....a fake. Luxury name plates shouldn't be posers in anything. They should offer the real deal. Lately, that is what all these so-called luxury brands been doing and it's diluting their brand focus.
Fakes?

Like the Lexus RX ?

The Mercedes GLA ?

#23 ·
It's been reported that the next Acadia will reduce in size, so it sharing its platform with the SRX (XT5) makes sense.

Reactions: AMERICA 123
#11 ·
what is wrong with SRX? there is nothing wrong with the name. its not like cavileer or cobalt whose image was so badly tarnished that nothing can save it.

our SRX is a great car, i am going to miss it when the lease ends. would not mind getting another.

#12 ·
WTF is this crap? I thought Cadillac was going all RWD? So you mean to tell me the new SRX.....*ahem the XT5 is going to be another dressed up Equinox or Buick? Not that that's a bad thing, but what is it that will functionally set them apart?

Are they forgetting what Land Rover and MB is doing? More chrome doesn't add value.......value is added by function. Why not use the Traiblazer platform? Why not build a crossover that can truly perform as as a true off-roader can?

What will the consumers really be paying for in this XT5? It's a tall car that is made to look like a SUV that can't haul or go off-road. It's competitors maintain their sense of value because they can actually perform and aren't fakers. Sometimes luxury can be attributed to function, performance, as well as exclusivity, which has always been lacking in the SRX. A Land Rover of comparable size would spank this offering in functional performance......as well as a MB, and a BMW X5. Actually.....I would rather spend my money on a Jeep Grand Cherekee before I buy this.

#14 ·
XT5 looks and sounds way too close to XTS. Can we just keep SRX or call it A REAL FRIGGIN NAME! ITS NOT THAT HARD TO DO, you'd probably break through the monotony of all Luxury Crossovers being alphabet soup. Please someone at GM wake up! Call it something, anything, just not Alphabet soup! It's okay to be American and call it something!!

#15 ·
They way they had been talking, I was thinking at least 2 out of the 3 new crossovers Cadillac might or should be getting would be RWD. Now I'm thinking none of them will. I believe they said "larger" ones would especially need to be RWD. Apparently they only meant full size?

#27 ·
Well....... It still won't be be able to compete in it class....once again. If I was into fake SUV's, if go for the lower priced Buick if I wanted pretty with creature features, but if I wanted a small luxury SUV/CUV that can actually function.....the imports trumps this all day.....so does the Jeep
Don't know how you define "compete," but the SRX has been #2 or #3 sales-wise in its segment since 2010. Women are the primary buyers of mid-size CUVs and they buy them b/c they are comfortable, roomy, and make them feel more secure in bad weather than a car. If this thing looks good and is comfortable, it will continue to outsell the competing BMW, MB, and Audi...

#35 ·
Well here's hoping they're growing this platform to be more like the old GMT360s... might not be truck based, but it'd be sized right to replace our Envoy Denali when the time comes. If the next Acadia is downsizing from current that might be the ticket.

#36 ·
I think the Buick Envision looks every bit as good as this - so if someone praises the styling of the Cadillac XT5, they should also praise the Buick. (I just hope that GM differentiates them enough to allow both to be viable, because the styling sure seems close to the Buick.)

#39 · (Edited)
The Land Rover Discovery ensures 8.3 in. of ground clearance at the front axle and 11.5 in. at the rear axle. The new Discovery Sport boasts a 25-degree approach angle, 21-degree breakover angle, and a 35-degree departure angle, and can wade through water 23.6 in. deep and the ability to climb 45-degree gradients.

What cann the SRX?XT5 do? .......sit there and look pretty? Oh yeah, it just drives smooth with no real street performance either(sounds like a Buick to me).
What am I really paying for in the SRX/XT5? ........pretty headlights and sheetmetal?
The XT5 won't be the standard in anything......just a lack luster throw-away product.

#41 ·
The Land Rover Discovery ensures 8.3 in. of ground clearance at the front axle and 11.5 in. at the rear axle. The new Discovery Sport boasts a 25-degree approach angle, 21-degree breakover angle, and a 35-degree departure angle, and can wade through water 23.6 in. deep and the ability to climb 45-degree gradients.

What am I really paying for in the SRX/XT5? ........pretty headlights and sheetmetal?
What' don't you understand. NO ONE BUYS THESE FOR OFF ROADING. There will probably be some off roading functionality due to the fact that the Envision has it, but it's not the focus of the market or the vehicle.

#44 ·
I think the problem is that theta and lambda are going to be converged. This will allow for a SWB & LWB platform that has more commonality and cheaper to produce for GM. The Equinox/Terrain/SRX will be SWB. The Acadia/Traverse/CT-WTF will be LWB. I am scared that the Equinox/Terrain/SRX will suffer if they downsize. People have become accustomed to their size and that is a great selling point for them they offer more space then the closest competitor. I had hoped GM learned its lesson with the Malibu, if you offer a vehicle with smaller dimensions then the outgoing model you will be thrashed in the marketplace. Sigh, it seems that cost saving penny pinchers are still in control. This will make or break GM. They need these CUV's to be successful.

#45 ·
Why is it, that with every new cadillac, we get statements like this...

"Cadillac has got big plans in place to revitalize its lineup, with new sedans, coupes and crossovers. And it all starts with this, the replacement for the SRX"

Revitalization has already begun years ago! Just when I think cadillac is earning respect and value with each subsequent new model, auto journalists sometimes make it sound like every current cadillac is outclassed by the competition...or they bring up the cimmaron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.