GM Inside News Forum banner

SEEN And HEARD ! The All-New Cadillac ATS-V Gets A SHAKEDOWN On The 'Ring

20K views 119 replies 40 participants last post by  SKH 
#1 ·
SEEN And HEARD For The FIRST Time! The All-New Cadillac ATS-V Gets A SHAKEDOWN On The 'Ring, CHASES An M4 Down
Auto Spies
By Agent00R
7/27/2014

In this all-new clip straight from the world famous Nürburgring, the ATS-V is driven HARD. Check out how it catches some serious air! In addition, it looks very composed as it rockets from one corner to the next.

Watch the new Cadillac ATS-V Sedan undergoing tests at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. In this video you can clearly hear the V6 3.6-liter Twin Turbo engine of the ATS-V which will probably produce around 425 bhp.

*Full Article at Link

#16 · (Edited)
This is going to really teach the last naysayers that Cadillac and indeed Chevrolet is there. Those that refuse to acknowledge how awesome Camaro is, because of its ponycar roots will have no option but to accept reality.
Flying car mode from Z/28.
Is everyone still convinced that the vertical / waterfall grille is for camo only? I'm not.
Don't know man, Its the same grill that was on the regular vehicles when they were mules.
Exhaust sounds too buzzy for my, more growl, less buzz. And yeah, I know it's not a V8.
Take into account this is raw footage, all the wind around the car, etc.

#10 · (Edited)
A LHD RWD car a very very rare sighting in Europe, l thought General Motors Europe had banned from selling RWD cars in Europe. RWD RHD fuel efficient fun cars are banned if you live in the UK GMs biggest market, whats the point?

The high profit yielding fun RHD RWD is banned, whats the point, you will ever get to seeing a RHD RWD fuel efficient car in Europe - Fun is banned in Europe, a miserable FWD huge loss making existence is to be had by all if you like GM in Europe fun drives are banned..

One day GM Europe will wake-up give Europeans what they want a decent fuel efficient RHD 2.0 RWD diesel, you can live in hope but GM are totally out off touch with whats wanted in the real world. I just want to see Caddy do well in Europe, sorry l just get so annoyed as you can't see Cadillac going anywhere in the EU fast, l get very frustrated want to see Cadillac do well.

Yep looks a million times better than a Lincoln, will sell very well in the US, would make a nice top of the range car if offered in RHD would sell very well, hope it sets a good time.

#11 ·
Wish Cadillac had their own engines. No matter how much they massage this engine and turbocharge it, I can't get past the fact that it's just the parts bin V6 that came out of the Malibu, goes into pickup trucks and most everything else GM builds.

If tiny BMW can offer such a vast array of engines and develop things like an exclusive V10 for just the M5 and M6 (last gen), why does giant GM use the same engines in everything and have no modern V8 or V12 for Cadillac when that's essential for the turf they want to play on.

Cadillac should develop of family of high tech V-configuration engines to be used only in Cadillacs to include something like a 3.2 V6, 3.2 V6 TT, 4.4 V8, 4.4 V8 TT, and 5.5 V12.

#12 ·
The block may be the same but I don't see it having the same internals. See nothing wrong with using a block already in production, if that is indeed the case.

#14 ·
THIS is what GM is capable of. Nice job so far folks!
I would just hope, and pray, a halo (the long fabled "super" V) with the LT4 would be forthcoming?? Wow, AMG Black look out!!

#15 ·
so are we 100% certain its a TT V6? I know it does not sound like a V8 but its hard to tell with the super quite exhaust systems all vehicles have.

I think it would be great if it was a LT1, but on the other hand I can see the tuners getting some pretty major power out of a TT V6 with minimal effort, vs. a NA V8.

#33 ·
Holy cow. Who cares about damn Europe? Let Cadillac come back full strength in the US and then go try for it there. Personally, Europe is a dead duck. No chance of expansion growth and certainly not worth the cost of entry.

So what if they share parts. GM has some of the best performance vehicles out right now. If you argue that then maybe you need a dose of reality.

#41 ·
Wow, that thing FLIES! Literally! lol I want this beast! I drove the 2.0T on a test drive and absolutely loved it. I can't imagine the level of smile this would put on my face!

And for those whiners going on about the engine this and that. BMW makes BMWs, I'm willing to bet every dollar I have that if they had the range of cars GM had they'd be sharing engines where possible. But they don't, and who really gives a flying F what GM is using when they make the performance engines that they do? I'd second your complaint if the engines they used in Cadillacs were subpar, but they aren't are they? They're world beating engines and that should be enough for anyone, unless you're some kind of snob that likes to brag about how your engine block is exclusive to your car. And BTW I'm also willing to bet that outside of websites like this most won't have any clue where the engine came from, nor would they care once they drove the car.

SO you go buy your BMW, BTW I drive a 330ci now, and when my finances line up I'll buy the Cadillac and I'll wave at you as I pass you by. :)

#69 ·
This thread is really silly......

The only reason for Cadillac to produce its own twin turbocharged V-6 engine would be that they don't have access to a good one. Which by the way they have access to a pretty good 3.6L twin turbocharged V-6 engine so why spend the extra cash to develop a new one....

Do you think that if the VW/Audi group had a solid V-12 engine in a Skoda that they will say "well we can't use that in a Audi because its in a Skoda" then develop a V-12 engine just for Audi?. If a brand has a good engine then there is no reason to not use it in more then one vehicle. It seems as though it is mostly people trying to make up a reason as to why the ATS isn't selling at 9,000 units per month and will grasp at straws all day long.

Truth be told all of these cars have "price points", when they develop a new BMW 3 series they don't just start to design and adds stuff and say "what ever the price is, the price is". If they did that then we would end up with a ten million dollar BMW 3 series. If using parts that no one will see to get the price point down for the BMW 3 series then why shouldn't they?. Hell car companies because they piece out so much of the production have no control in what other vehicles they are parts sharing with.....

#70 ·
The automobile industry is a global business. All automakers share common parts so it is nothing new here.

If anyone is too concerned that Cadillac share certain parts with Chevy here and there same as Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, VW/Audi/Seat/Bugatti/Lamborghini, Mercedes/Smart and etc, then by all means don't buy any of these cars and just walk to work, to the store, to vacation spots and etc. Anyone who does not know how the automobile business work needs to do research.

#71 ·
I find it funny that some are complaining that it's a "GM" engine and not a "Cadillac" one. I don't think that anyone is whining over Nissan stuffing that 3.6L twin turbo into an Infinity sedan and will have it on sale in the next couple of years. Or that Audi uses VW engines, or that Lincolns use a Ford engine (OK that is heavily tongue-in-cheek), etc...

#72 ·
A good engine is a good engine. Only snooty people have these issues. I don't see Lambo owners complaning about the Audi derived engine sitting behind them. They just go out and drive and laugh at the people who complain about these things.

#86 ·
I wonder if that yellow M4 was there for testing purposes or coincidence. Same thing with the CLS Wagon thing.

My fingers are crossed for 450+ hp. I have little doubt this will out handle the competition. I just want it to completely dominate.

And how in the hell do we get so much conversation about parts sharing in a thread with such a glorious vehicle.?

Reactions: Cobaltss_King
#89 · (Edited)
Back in GM's heyday when they ruled, there were five divisions and five engine lineups and three automatic transmissions. Back then, the divisions competed as much with one another as with carmakers outside the corporation. Customers picked a GM car often on the merits of the engine. The muscle car race of the 60s was so fast moving because Oldsmobile tried to outdo Pontiac which was trying to stay ahead of the bow tie boys. In the 50s, folks bought an Oldsmobile to get the "rocket" engine and in terms of transmissions at GM, there was a HydraMatic at Olds and Cadillac, a Powerglide at Chevy, and a Dynaflow at Buick. Seldom was anything shared between bottom-of-the-line Chevrolet and Cadillac.

Of course all the inter divisional rivalry is gone now. Today the cars are made in the same plants with the same parts and GM still struggles to rid itself of the Cimmaron approach to building Cadillacs. That approach is in fact alive and well with Tahoe and it's twin, the Escalade.

I'm not suggesting GM needs unique transmissions but I do think there should be a modular engine family developed (call them all Northstars) with a range of Cadillac only engines which can use superior materials and technology if they are built to sell in premium cars only and don't have to be made cheap enough to also meet a Chevy price point.

Is this absolutely necessary? Obviously not. Do other brands like Infiniti and Lincoln share engines with cheaper Nissan and Ford models. Yes, but last time I checked neither of them was taken very seriously and both are Tier 2 luxury brands. If Cadillac wants to stay down there with the likes of those two brands, they can keep doing what they are doing; a FWD XTS with the corporate V6 shared with the Colorado pickup is sufficient. But if they want to pretend they are a BMW competitor and price their products accordingly, they must up their game significantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.