Right on CUE: Cadillacís new Infotainment System Sets the Stage

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right on CUE: Cadillacís new Infotainment System Sets the Stage

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

AutoGuide
    April 23, 2012
    by Sami Haj-Assaad

Cadillac is prepping a new member to its stable. No, itís not the Nurburgring-tested ATS weíve heard oh-so much about. Itís also not the XTS flagship sedan that Cadillac has desperately needed these past few years. In fact, itís not a car at all.

Get ready to say ĎHelloí to the Cadillac User Experience, or CUE, which will be a new staple for the company moving forward. CUE is an infotainment system brought up to todayís ultra-modern high-tech standards.

Cadillac makes sure to mention that this isnít a separate entity from the car, but an integrated piece that will be as reliable and comfortable to use as the vehicle itself.

Speaking to the CUE program engineering manager Jeff Massimilla, he describes CUE as ďharmonious in design to the whole Cadillac experience.Ē

How did he come to this conclusion? Well, it started all the way back on the drawing board. Massimilla tells us that the user interface and industrial design came first and that they got together with the design studio and outlined what they wanted to do with CUE. ďItís a very design driven process,Ē he said. ďUser elements was a goal.Ē

Cadillac collected feedback from customers about infotainment systems across the industry to find that people felt frustrated with complex systems that had too many buttons.

From there, they studied consumer electronics like iPads; ďstuff you could get from Best Buy,Ē he said. The CUE team modelled its interface to reflect how these gadgets worked. ďWe heard a lot of ĎDonít teach me something new,í from the customers.Ē Using these popular devices helped the team identify what will feel natural to the drivers.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

Re: Right on CUE: Cadillacís new Infotainment System Sets the Stage

I wish GM could have signed a deal to let Apple do all their infotainment systems. I love that none of my iPhones have come with owners manuals because they did not need them. Hell, just super glue an iPad in the center stack of every GM car and call it a day.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
    I wish GM could have signed a deal to let Apple do all their infotainment systems. I love that none of my iPhones have come with owners manuals because they did not need them. Hell, just super glue an iPad in the center stack of every GM car and call it a day.
    To a large extent that appears to be what they're banking on for MyLink.

Virtually everyone appreciates having an LED display with some form of a touch interface. However, most people have access to a smartphone and the capabilities generally exceed those of a $2000 factory infotainment system.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I still await full phone integration that actually lets you use your phone directly through the touch screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I still await full phone integration that actually lets you use your phone directly through the touch screen.
    Aside from text messagine and browser(which NO ONE needs to use while driving) the MyTouch from Ford and even the standard nav screens let you open up a phone menu which is pretty close to using your phone through the screen. On my Edge I can go into the phone menu and have a full keypad, all my contacts, recent calls, and if I had a supported phone my texts.
    Current:
    2013 Ford Explorer Xlt 4x4

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT

RIP LPD 317 NJSP 6397 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks

How about no?

I'd hate to abandon GM over a deal with the Devil.
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2004 Chevrolet Classic (RIP Dad)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

Quote Originally Posted by poncho1982 View Post
    How about no?

I'd hate to abandon GM over a deal with the Devil.
    I was just thinking the same thing. I honestly would never buy another GM car if they did that.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrotha2004 View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. I honestly would never buy another GM car if they did that.
    yeah, I wouldn't recommend that, and Cadillac/GM would never do that.. However.. There's no reason GM couldn't collaborate with Apple on a system that maintains all the great features from Apple in a GM native system. This would include licensing those proprietary features Apple users appreciate and are accustomed to. Your iPhone or iPad should be able to wirelessly sync with your vehicle's system every time you get in the vehicle.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple doesn't license their software or partner with other hardware manufacturers in any way

God Bless the Blue Bullet.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I hope CUV works out. This is my least favorite tech in a car, but I know that the market demands it. I could actually see myself cross shoping an Impala vs an XTS and taking the one with the least obtrusive infotainment. The magnetic ride suspension would be he one thing that might make me compromise.

i

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Isn't CUe and the other new GM infotainment suites a result of the Google partnership?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Cruze LTZ, 2012 S60 T6

Hmmm... jailbreak my car if I want to listen to an mp3 of bit torrent? No thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Cadillac collected feedback from customers about infotainment systems across the industry to find that people felt frustrated with complex systems that had too many buttons.
    "Infotainment systems" in cars???
    The desire to minimize the number of buttons in automotive infotainment systems has been around since 2001!! That was the rationale behind the first iDrive, where it took over everything.

Today, the pendulum has swung the other direction a bit, with minimal button functionality still being provided for often used features (lighting, climate control, etc.)

So that quote is a bit.... odd.
    It's not a matter of the infotainment systems having too many buttons... it's a matter of the infotainment systems being too complex to use by normal people.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by alex725 View Post
    Aside from text messagine and browser(which NO ONE needs to use while driving) the MyTouch from Ford and even the standard nav screens let you open up a phone menu which is pretty close to using your phone through the screen. On my Edge I can go into the phone menu and have a full keypad, all my contacts, recent calls, and if I had a supported phone my texts.
    The technology in development would allow your phone UI to port to the screen in your vehicle. Your home screeen on your smart phone would be the same home screen in your vehicle, and you would access the information including navigation and contacts exactly as you would on your phone by navigating the touch screen. It would in essence mirror your phone or devices UI on the screen in your vehicle.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I like it when cars were for enjoying driving and not all this infotainment crap. I know im a minority, just saying, I dont care about it

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information