New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Re: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

Quote Originally Posted by schmallz View Post
    All that new cars need in the not too distant future is a USB port to plug in any device and a stand/support attachment to cradle the device.
    The already come with a cradle, it's called a cupholder.
    * Pictured are a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger and a 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    I have and do, and that is why I wrote what I did.
    I second that. My personal favorite test has been discontinued at CR for some time though. It was some kind of "nuetral handling" safety test. They were reviewing a car (Taurus I think) and quickly whipped the the wheel to the right and then the left. After that the immeadiatly let go of the steering wheel and discribed what happened after as "quite scary". Really you think?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Yeah CR is garbage and biased. Got it.

However, we have to admit the XTS is simply a middling product from GM. The CEO admitted it. It's poor placement was assured when it was on the drawing board with a borrowed powertrain and a FWD platform based on the LaCrosse platform. That's not how you make the "standard of the world". It's better than the DTS, but what isn't?

The CR review of the Spark is surprising. The Spark is getting good reviews and CR stands alone with giving it such a poor mark.

Thanks

What a shocker, a small, short wheelbase car isn't the most comfortable riding vehicle...color me surprised. The things they complain about boggle my mind.

The Cue system is very slow and overly complex for the 60+ market that will be buying most of them, but it is otherwise an awesome car.

Once again, CR shows us that it matters not how good a car is, only that it has the right badge on the hood.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

Everything CR said about the XTS is something I noted myself when doing an extensive test drive of a Premium AWD XTS. How can they be biased when the car isn't smooth like the old STS and DTS, the visibility is poor (something I've been saying about GM's latest cars for years), and the CUE system isn't ready for primetime yet? I don't use CR as a source myself when looking and purchasing vehicles, but they didn't show any bias against this car. It actually scored quite well all things considered. The issue I have with the title here is GMI's fault. It makes it seem like CR didn't recommend the car because it scored too low. They didn't recommend the car because it's reliability hasn't been proven yet. To be honest, I think the biggest thing that will hold this car back in the rankings will be CUE. It also needs a more powerful engine, as I found myself looking for more power when doing an test drive.

The car doesn't have the finesse of the German cars. Period. The one advantage the XTS has over them is a gorgeous, well built interior that IMO is only hampered by CUE's slowness.

Thanks

After reading a few articles that complained about the CUE system, I was fearing the worst when I test drove an XTS a couple months back. I'm far from being a technophile, very far, but I thought the system worked very well and, maybe more importantly, was extremely easy to learn. (To be fair, not every review complained about the CUE system... A few seemed to like it)

The biggest problem I had was that I had to use my right hand to "scroll" through the options... I'm a lefty... However, the system, for the most part, is a "set it and forget it" set up. Combined with the voice command and steering wheel controls, I would rarely have to touch anything on the CUE screen, which as I said before, was very easy to navigate... And that was my very short experience in learning the system. If I had a day to work with it, just as I take a day to learn every "new" car I purchase, I would think the CUE system would be ridiculously easy to use...

Perhaps some reviewers are expecting the "ipad-like" CUE system to be "ipad-exact." It's similar, yes, but it is most definitely its own system.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott View Post
    This doesnt suprise me that they rated the XTS lower because of CUE. While the mylink/intellilink system can be picked up with relative ease by some, you still need a proper training session to use all of the infotainment systems offered by GM and elsewhere. I assume that they were just handed the keys and left to figure these out on their own, and NO ONE has built an interface as easy as an iPad yet. If this magazine is going to be advocates for "consumers", then they need to go through the same process a consumer would and have a qualified GM salesman or employee train them on the systems. Otherwise everything they say is uninformed bias.
    I already know how to turn on my radio and adjust the heat. Why should I have to undergo a training program because somebody with their hat on backwards thinks the glowing light of an electronic screen is cool? CUE is unneeded and is a marketing affectation for people who can't afford to buy an XTS.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I think the spark failed is because CR looked @ a "if I had X dollars to spend" mind set and ignored the sparks plusses for a bigger "better value" car (more for less) then the fact it IS the most fuel efficient and easiest to park URBAN environment car on the market
    it would be like CR testing a Prius against a mustang and saying the mustang is a better value because it accelerates better

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    More like:

There's a harshness, and credibility issues with the magazine. There are better choices in this class.
    CR objectvity rating: Much worse than average. Recent years have been worsening.

Thanks

Today in the News, "JuMPy reports" rated Consumer Reports with a Not Recommended rating. After reading CR for years, its is my opinion that CR has no common sense and has bias reporting, says one leading critic at "JuMPY reports". Their complete lack of fairness and completely subjective reporting leads me to question the reality of CR ratings says another employee at JuMPy.

After years of being the go to publication for consumers, it has slipped in how much it influences buyers. Recent models that have been rated not recommended have sold very well, and others that have been recommened have lagged in sales, leading many in the industry to question the validity of CR.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Arcuri View Post
    I already know how to turn on my radio and adjust the heat. Why should I have to undergo a training program because somebody with their hat on backwards thinks the glowing light of an electronic screen is cool? CUE is unneeded and is a marketing affectation for people who can't afford to buy an XTS.
    I dont know your age group, but in my age group, gen X, these things are a must have nowadays and are a big selling point. Upon further look at the article, I do believe that CR complaints of CUE are unfounded. I think their expectations are beyond current in vehicle technology. I have used extensively these systems and they are super easy and work as advertised. They are far and away beyond the complexity of ford sync. Regardless, the main reason seems to be due to lack of reliability reports for the non recomendation.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott View Post
    I dont know your age group, but in my age group, gen X, these things are a must have nowadays and are a big selling point. Upon further look at the article, I do believe that CR complaints of CUE are unfounded. I think their expectations are beyond current in vehicle technology. I have used extensively these systems and they are super easy and work as advertised. They are far and away beyond the complexity of ford sync. Regardless, the main reason seems to be due to lack of reliability reports for the non recomendation.
    I am sure that you are correct. I am unable to understand why a simple, binary function such as on/off needs another layer of complexity and another source of obsolescence and repair costs when a toggle switch will do. At home, my lights turn on with the switch up and off with the switch down. I suppose I could stumble through my house in the dark, barking my shins here and there, until I stumble upon my computer which - if it has decided to work at that time - would enable me to turn on any of the lights from a single location. Cool. Unnecessary.
    I like the XTS and hope that when I am ready to buy I will find a salesperson who can work the CUE. When I previewed the car, the salesman (a young guy) was unable to demonstrate the system's features. If not, I may wind up with a LaCrosse with that huge button farm on the dash!
    Cheers,
    Ed

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rueben44's Avatar
    Thanks

Translation to what they said, "I'm old and I don't like computers they confuse me so you fail"
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_bots View Post
    As for the Spark what else did they expect? Small **** boxes like that are going to be loud, it's not a full-size Buick, it's a golf cart with doors.
    I drove a Spark a few weeks ago, and I liked it (better than a Sonic) I drove. Although it had a small engine and an automatic, it was a cheery little car, basic and unpretentious. The Sonic shifted too frequently, seemingly all the time.
    The Spark is a car I would consider if I lived and worked close to work in a city with crowded streets and parking issues.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

What a shock coming from CR need I say anymore.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information