New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Perhaps one should actually read and understand CR's automotive evaluations and their methodologies before providing commentary about them on GM Inside News Forums? Nah, forget it about it!
    I have and do, and that is why I wrote what I did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 335xi AWD+Manual

Quote Originally Posted by vrocks View Post
    The overly convoluted touch UI doesn't belong in a car. However, If they insist on using them, the performance needs to be far more snappy and intuitive. There's no excuse for such slow running UIs in modern cars. They're basically a pain in the ass to use.
    100% Agree

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Will they put CUE in the Spark? They could call it SUE for Spark User Expierience.
    Last edited by Pisswilly; 11-20-2012 at 11:15 AM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 335xi AWD+Manual

Quote Originally Posted by jadis View Post
    100% Agree
    CUE is a marketing ploy in my mind to "appeal" to a younger market and try to be hip saying it is the wave of the future by drawing comparisons to the iPad. It is a gimmick in my mind. Since when was the iPad designed to be used jogging or without looking at it?

SX3
    Thanks

I see that CR didn't differentiate between City Car (Mirco Car) and Subcompact. Yes lets put a list of cars that the Spark doesn't compete with as a comparison measure for its rating. At least they listed the iQ at the bottom. Anyone know the rating of the Fiat 500? Safety/reliability is the biggest drawback to it likely (and price).

The overly convoluted touch UI doesn't belong in a car. However, If they insist on using them, the performance needs to be far more snappy and intuitive. There's no excuse for such slow running UIs in modern cars. They're basically a pain in the ass to use.
    It makes no sense what so ever to put a slow UI in a car that controls all the functions. I want to chunk my Android whenever it gets slow. There is absolutely zero excuse for having a slow unresponsive system installed in car that controls so much like CUE, MyLink, etc. I am a fan of buttons and knobs, but I want the added functionality of the MyLink system.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

CUE is a marketing ploy in my mind to "appeal" to a younger market and try to be hip saying it is the wave of the future by drawing comparisons to the iPad. It is a gimmick in my mind. Since when was the iPad designed to be used jogging or without looking at it?
    I'm not sure I'd call it a marketing ploy but I'd agree they're pretty much a gimmick.

These infotainment systems have become basically a requirement in luxury cars, even though they're fairly pointless.

Cars are like women; They're best when they look sexy, go fast and are fairly stupid. Give either a computer and the fun's over.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

This doesnt suprise me that they rated the XTS lower because of CUE. While the mylink/intellilink system can be picked up with relative ease by some, you still need a proper training session to use all of the infotainment systems offered by GM and elsewhere. I assume that they were just handed the keys and left to figure these out on their own, and NO ONE has built an interface as easy as an iPad yet. If this magazine is going to be advocates for "consumers", then they need to go through the same process a consumer would and have a qualified GM salesman or employee train them on the systems. Otherwise everything they say is uninformed bias.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DarkKnight67's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 CTS VSport - Black Raven

This is supposed to be a surprise - big friggin' deal.

I think the best judgment of anything is how you, as a consumer and a driver, feel about it. Personally, I really appreciate my XTS and the Spark that I sat in was a nice vehicle. This is CR we're talking about, from them, even a jockstrap would merit a poor rating if they couldn't get it to fit.
    DarkKnight67
    2015 CTS VSport Premium
    2013 Escalade Platinum Hybrid

"Why do you drive a Cadillac?" someone asked me the other day.
    "Because you don't have the guts to!"

My Past Rides - couldn't even come close to all the cars my Dad has had:

'13 XTS4 Platinum
    '12 SRX
    '08 Corvette coupe (Going to miss this one)
    '06, '08, '10 STS
    '04 CTS
    '02 Envoy
    '01 Aurora
    '97 LSS
    '94 Cutlass Supreme
    '90 Z24 Coupe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 835 Posts

It isn't a "marketing ploy." It's price of entry in the luxury market.

You can try and draw comparisons to iPad, but to date, there really is no competition or comparison to iPad in terms of ease of use and capabilities.

CUE isn't a gimmick. If CUE isn't designed well, then that's the fault of the designers, engineers, and UI people who worked on it. If it really does suck, then GM should hire some (or hire better) human interface designers.

You can operate portions of iOS devices without looking at a screen. And in some cases, you can activate some features by just holding a button on the phone/tablet or on the headphone cord. It's not robust, but it's only getting more robust with each subsequent update.

I would expect CUE to do the same.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Does the Spark is also compared to the Fiat 500?
    No the Fiat 500 suppose to be Mini competition, because of its luxury and "sigma" that suppose to go with it.
    Opel's new Adam will be the 500 competitor.
    Current Cars:
    2008 Opel Astra OPC
    2013 Opel Astra 1.6T Sport
    2008 Opel Zafira 1.9 CDTi
    2003 Opel Astra 2.0 CSX
    2012 Chevrolet Spark 1.2 LS

Thanks

I agree, who needs IDrive, Mytouch or CUE when all that tech is basically obsolete by the time you drive it home?

All that new cars need in the not too distant future is a USB port to plug in any device and a stand/support attachment to cradle the device. Each person already knows how to use their personal smart phone, tablet or laptop, which can be upgrade much easier than those unique systems entombed in the dashboard.
    I have seen the boobs. And they is us.

Thanks

Consumer Reports aside. I think GM should do a Sedan DeVille without CUE. There are older buyers who may find the CUE system a bit too much. I know my old man would have a heck of a time navigating CUE knowing him to be a very analog type of guy. We have a older member here at GMI who bought a XTS. I wonder how he manages with CUE?

I like how CR pits the Spark small car against subcompacts like the Fit and Rio, which goes to show their inherent bias. They should be sued..
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks

Is there an "infortainment" system that CR actually likes? Maybe GM should have given them an XTS to test with a corporate black tie radio
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

I wouldn't grill CR over complaining about CUE in the XTS, most reviews have complained about it. Its really ashamed GM didn't learn from Ford's mistake but copied it. As far as a non-crappy infotainment system, Chrysler's newest Uconnect 8.4" systems are usually praised. Appears to be responsive and they atleast have secondary physical buttons so you don't have to fumble with the touch screen or touch sensitive buttons to accomplish basic functions.

As for the Spark what else did they expect? Small **** boxes like that are going to be loud, it's not a full-size Buick, it's a golf cart with doors.
    "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." -H. L. Mencken

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    THIS IS SHOCKING!
    WHERE ARE THE FRONT PAGE HEADLINES?
    WHERE ARE THE ARC LIGHTS AND BOMBERS IN FLIGHT?

This is truly heartwrenching and completely surprising.

Yes, indeed.

'Specially..... since these are two of GM's stable that are gonna' be most felt by Toyoski - and also as a separate consideration by them in Cali.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information