New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

November 20, 2012

DETROIT -- Some of the latest new car models from Detroit automakers received mixed reviews from Consumer Reports and have failed to win a recommendation from the popular U.S. shopping guide.

Consumer Reports also failed to recommend the all-new Cadillac XTS and the Lincoln MKS sedans. The XTS scored much higher overall than the MKS in the matchup, but both cars underwhelmed the magazine’s testers in a segment dominated by German, Japanese, and Korean models.

The XTS is a replacement for the DTS and STS sedans in Cadillac’s lineup.

Consumer Reports said the Cadillac XTS was “wonderfully luxurious, with a very spacious and well-appointed cabin.”

But Cadillac’s new flagship is hampered by its CUE infotainment system, which testers found to be “convoluted and frustrating.”

The magazine also tested the Chevrolet Spark and said the four-door subcompact produces excellent fuel economy of 34 mpg overall and 42 on the highway.

It has a surprisingly useable rear seat, a comprehensive assortment of features, and is affordably priced at $15,420, Consumer Reports said.

But sluggish acceleration, stiff and jittery ride and very noisy cabin dropped the Spark’s overall score to 34, the magazine said.

It is one of the lowest scoring cars tested by the magazine in recent years and is too low to recommend.

Article continues here.

Cadillac XTS Article from Consumer Reports

Chevrolet Spart Article from Consumer Reports

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: New Cadillac XTS & Chevy Spark Fail To Make Grade At CR

I figured That would be the Case for the XTS. Caddy yall pulled a "Ford"

Its funny what they said about the Spark though lol..

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

A few months ago I read that Ford has one or two employees that work with and try to improve comments from CR, by making recommendations to Ford management based on their testing.

Perhaps GM could do the same - if they don't already have a team in place.

Comments will be written about CR in the pages to follow, but one thing remains a cold fact: Millions and millions of people get their automotive information from their pages, and the words printed on them should be considered of utmost importance to those in Detroit.

You can't fight city hall.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 plane's Avatar
    Thanks

THIS IS SHOCKING!
    WHERE ARE THE FRONT PAGE HEADLINES?
    WHERE ARE THE ARC LIGHTS AND BOMBERS IN FLIGHT?

This is truly heartwrenching and completely surprising.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Edmund Burke

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

With the Spark, auto mags have a differing opinions. What did they compare this cawouldliketo know so I can at least try to understand their perspective. As for the XTS, I saw this coming.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

I drove the A6 last week and the XTS yesterday. There were quite a few things I liked about the XTS more than the Audi, but what do I know, I'm just a lifelong car enthusiasts who makes actual car payments.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Btw, if you get a chance, drive the XTS, it was more than a stopgap and way nicer than the DTS.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

how can the xts be recommended when its new? the article is misleading. Only Japanese sedans can be recommended when brand new by CR. This is common knowledge so until the XTS has a reliability track record it cannot score a "recommended" rating. Why is the entire news media obsessed with CRs rating? Is there ANY proof that a lack of a recommendation affects sales? The Darts sales have increased every month its been on sale to my knowledge and its generally gotten good reviews. CR comes along and said the vehicle is so bad that its score prohibits it from ever being recommended. The dart has class average acceleration, nothing impressive but nothing close to unacceptable.
    Last edited by 1487; 11-20-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Cadillac ATS 2.0

I know this is cliche, but we all know that if this were a Benz or a Lexus they would have said it was the greatest vehicle ever produced. CR says it is super in the inside and styling is good, but because it is American they could not let themselves possibly recommend the vehicle. How they can rate the Spark as the worst test rating is beyond me. They did the same to the Dart too. Now what would they have done if the CUE wasn't in the Caddy? They would have said WHERE'S THE INFOTAINMENT? So darned if you do, darned if you don't. A lot of people like the CUE System and praise it.

Thanks

Meh... its CR. I rate them poor.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

If the name Toyota was on the XTS & Spark, CR would have rated it the greatest. Those morons at Consumer Reports should not be able to get away with that kind of reporting. I know in this country we have freedom of speech, but that should not give anyone the right to maliciously try to destroy a companies.
    Last edited by Al465; 11-20-2012 at 06:14 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo White

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    A few months ago I read that Ford has one or two employees that work with and try to improve comments from CR, by making recommendations to Ford management based on their testing.

Perhaps GM could do the same - if they don't already have a team in place.

Comments will be written about CR in the pages to follow, but one thing remains a cold fact: Millions and millions of people get their automotive information from their pages, and the words printed on them should be considered of utmost importance to those in Detroit.

You can't fight city hall.
    Seems that I recall when Susan Docherty was still in Detroit she put an effort together to specifically address the issues CR usually complains about and include those considerations in design. Don't know if it had any life after she left the states.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Seems like they ding a car for one major flaw. The dart because it is slow. It is a car designed for fuel economy, people!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    Meh... its CR. I rate them poor.
    More like:

There's a harshness, and credibility issues with the magazine. There are better choices in this class.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

As MyLink and Cue spread through GM's vehicles, be prepared to suffer the MFT syndrome by quality ratings companies.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information