GM Inside News Forum banner

Made In China Caddy CT6 To Be Sold in US. Who's In?

7K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  spd98 
#1 ·
http://blog.caranddriver.com/cadillac-ct6-plug-in-hybrid-to-arrive-in-u-s-with-made-in-china-label/

The CT6 is to be assembled in two factories, one here in the U.S. and another in China. Ellinghaus said that to avoid Chinese tariffs on imported vehicles, Cadillac will build the plug-in—a model created in part for the Chinese market—at the Chinese facility. (We’re awaiting confirmation of Ellinghaus’ comments from a Cadillac representative.) As Bloomberg points out, the move to import the CT6 plug-in shows that General Motors must think build quality at its Chinese factories has risen to meet Americans’ standards, especially after the automaker announced it would source the mid-size Buick Envision crossover from China, too. Every nonhybrid CT6 is expected to originate here in America.

#3 ·
It sounds like since the Chinese market is the primary market for the CT6 hybrid the decision was made to develop them all there. If you produce them in the US and ship them to China you get hit with a tax, however if you build them in China and ship them here you don't. What percentage of total CT6 sales in the US will be of the hybrid model? I don't see this as being too big of a deal honestly.

#6 ·
We've known this for a long time now. In fact, the subject C&D article is more than a year old, dated January 15, 2016. In addition, the article states "Every nonhybrid CT6 is expected to originate here in America." Meaning, just the plug-in hybrid variant will be imported. Again, we've known all this was happening essentially since the model's introduction.

#9 ·
He'll gladly forget all the Chinese transgressions and campaign promises about doing something about them for the sake of our economy, for all that help we're getting on North Korea.

It's nice he's decided for us that those jobs he promised can be Dealed Away, and that evil China isn't a currency manipulator and a Job Stealer after all.

What help with North Korea?

They are still freely trading with them, up a huge percentage over last year, and N.K. is still launching missiles.

It's going to be a long year, but the end is already in sight.

#23 ·
It's called negotiation, why do people not understand this?

Not the first time GM has made a mistake. Makes sense not to tool up here for what will be a model with limited sales potential but I seriously doubt build quality will be anything to write home about.
It's a GM car, so you're probably right. Assembly location is far less important than PARTS QUALITY, which you might recall GM recently had a "done goofed" moment on that facilitated the deaths of over ten dozen people.

For a cheaper part. Wanna bet they've made those pennies up somewhere?

#11 ·
Not the first time GM has made a mistake. Makes sense not to tool up here for what will be a model with limited sales potential but I seriously doubt build quality will be anything to write home about.

#38 ·
Jan. 15, 2016 @ 10:49 AM just under the title. Why are we rehashing this old news. It must be times are slow and we need to rack up some pages of posts. BTW I went and bought a Korean built Rogue and its build quality is impeccable, far better than that Malibu I let go for it.(just a FWIW post) :)

#43 · (Edited)
People seem to be under the mistaken impression that the US has any real leverage in Chinese economic policy. The world's largest and fastest growing economy will absolutely dwarf the US, we no longer get to dictate terms. We can participate, or don't and shrink back to our borders and economically diminish. It's a difficult pill to swallow but this is the reality and threats really are just self inflicted wounds. I'm pretty sure people who manage the REAL economic drivers in our society (not our President) can tell you this.

#48 ·
I've said I would not buy a made in China car, but screw it, but for $15,000.00 I will take a plug in one. It can't be costing that much to build one in China, with the slave labor rates. Anything over 15k and I'm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.