GM Inside News Forum banner

Looking Back: 1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours Test Drive

12K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  godoftheauto 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
By the end of the NorthStar's life cycle GM was actually making a pretty solid engine...Not really a bad engine - honestly in hindsight such a "high tech" engine was an odd choice for the soft Cadillac's of yore.

#8 ·
You've had great luck with all your Northstar Cadillac's; even that damn silver STS with the blown headgasket ran great and never overheated. My experiences haven't been as lucky. But neither has Ian's. Must be a Nelson thing. Dammit.

By the end of the NorthStar's life cycle GM was actually making a pretty solid engine...Not really a bad engine - honestly in hindsight such a "high tech" engine was an odd choice for the soft Cadillac's of yore.
Oh yeah I know a decent amount about the Northstar and in reality it's a great engine but it's plagued by issues that should've been addressed within the first 2 years. It's unfortunate because I do like the engine when it's running right. One negative is the cars that I truly love with that engine (Seville STS, Eldorado ETC) are getting harder and harder to find and even more expensive to maintain.

I have no problem owning or recommending a RWD Northstar. They are completely bulletproof. Too bad the only car I like with that engine is XLR.

#7 ·
Cadillacs now are ugly and cramped - dinosaurs that are pretentious - clinging to rear wheel drive as if that alone makes them worthwhile - but those ugly, cheap looking 1990's Cadillacs are just awful - but there is one thing that they have over today's Cadillacs - they can carry four adults in comfort - and you can't say that about the ATS and CTS.

#10 · (Edited)
Cliche it may be, but you gotta love the charm of some of these classic boats. Spacious, comfy, and powerful with the Northstar.

Of course on the flip side it was totally not up to what Cadillac could have done for a flagship. With Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus starting to throw down large, competitive V-8 sedans Cadillac should've made a proper flagship out of the Deville, starting with a great platform and interior. The Northstar should've been standard across the board too. With the rest of the design that was already good (exterior looks, Northstar, ride comfort), this would've been and even better competitor and Cadillac could've charged 50K for it. :dro:

#12 ·
I love my Northstar and it's in a Deville 1998 which rides and handles better that my 02 Crown Vic with it's same displacement but poor perfomance 4.6. The northstar gets better mileage than my 07 Magnum hemi and if it wasn't speed limited and I had better tires on the Caddy would more than likely out perform it to. I do worry about the headgaskets but did find a epoxy headgasket sealer if I ever need it. I use to do protype work and when you had a good Northstar you are golden. I do hate the propriatary software thou. Scott with Single Performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.