GM Inside News Forum banner

How GM Amped Up the 2016 Cadillac ELR

7K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  1930ford 
#1 ·
How GM Amped Up the 2016 Cadillac ELR.
Hybrid Cars
October 12, 2015
By: Jeff Cobb

The 2016 Cadillac ELR won’t out-sprint a Tesla Model S, but General Motors’ now-quicker luxury 2+2 makes it another kind of upscale alternative to the Chevy Volt.

With gasoline assist, the compact coupe using an upgrade to the 2015 Volt’s powertrain can now hustle to a respectable 6.4-second 0-60 time, and somewhere in the 7s in pure electric mode . Both hardware and software changes went into a 2016 ELR update. Its price was also reduced this year by $10,000 to $65,995 including delivery fee.

With 40 miles all-electric range, opulent materials and design, and superior road manners, it is a plug-in hybrid with the second-highest EV range next only to the 53-mile range 2016 Volt.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#9 ·
It really grinds my gears that something as simple as an "old GM" way of thinking/error is why this vehicle flopped just as bad as the Cimmaron. It's striking design had such high hopes. The public/non-car enthusiasts weren't as dumb as GM thought they were. Smh

Oh well, one of these will be in my collection as soon as I find one near 30k. Hurry up and go out of production already!!!

#33 ·
I saw one on the street on Mich Ave. in Chicago. I really don't think its fooling anyone. It does not look like a mid engine GT. Not at all. It looks like an compact coupe with a cut down roof and giant wheels - which it is.

At least Cad acknowledge the tesla market - but it should be more like a CT6 that's all electric, not this.

0-60 in 6.4? Isn't that what a Silvy V8 does these days? When 4 seconds is new 5 seconds, 6.5 is kinda lame.

#11 ·
I got a chance to take one of these for about a 5 mile drive at a ride and drive event earlier this year, and I must say, it is a great car, but its tough to ask so much for such a small car. The $10,000 reduction in price might make this a much more reasonable price, but it's still such a limited market. I also don't know how many people who would be interested in this kind of a car actually know that these exist.

#20 ·
It's still the most beautiful of any Cadillac on the road.
It has the necessary exclusivity of luxury car that Cadillac needs.

Except Cadillac has never given it an exclusive treatment, never given it the time of day, improperly marketed it, gave it the wrong specs, launched it after Volt, and then priced it like a Model S.

Worst of all... it still doesn't have a friggin sunroof.

#21 ·
I just bought a '16, it had 10 miles so it's not some funny deal & all it has is crystal white at +500. But GM supplier was 13,000 (still is, go see), I got 750 lease loyalty (Volt), the fed deduction will apply to me fully is another 7500. the car ended up like 45k.

Reactions: Al63240
#23 ·
1st couple charges it got 48.x miles per charge, & I got 52 today, w/climate on eco & radio going, not really taking it all that easy. Stomp it & you don't need excuses, the car is quicker & faster than the volt & the tq comes on much better. It has the magnetic ride like a Corvette & it works. The carbon fiber in the car is a bit nicer than Chevy's & the wood is real & Cue blows mylink away. & I'm a chevy fan.
I have 3 years experience w/a volt so I did have some expectations, the Cadillac is very nice, I have like 150 miles.

I think GM continued w/voltec because it was mostly paid for plus it's a hedge vs oil price volatility, a lesson I think they learned in bankruptcy. The prob don't make much if any on them so they don't care who doesn't buy them. They're a hedge that works, who really gains the most is the buyer, depending on the deal they can work out. The car costs about 2 cents per mile to run on electric & a 35 mpg car on 1.75 gas costs 5 cents. It's very efficient if you have a garage.
& the thing flies. regens harder than volt1 too.

#43 ·
Congrats on your purchase! But I just wanted to point out that the ELR does not have magnetic ride. It does have electronically adjustable shocks, but they do not use MRC technology.

There is rumor of a very good lease deal coming on these. Also rumor that '16 might be the end for ELR, which is kind of a shame. I'd love to see what they could do with a gen 2 Volt powertrain. I'm hoping there's another Cadillac in the works that will leverage the great work GM did on next-gen EREV.

#27 ·
To me it's a Personal Luxury Coupe, in a lot of ways like the old Toronado & Eldorados. Not going to be the prettiest around a corner or the fastest lap setter but very big on personal luxury. Electric kind of makes a revival of the Personal Luxury Coupe possible again for GM, elr is it. I could never get used to volt's 4 doors, voltec prob should have started w/Cadillac in an ideal world, which it wasn't at the time (bk).

I'm 6 foot 1 & I got in the back & the wife (5'9") in the front (passenger side) & closed the door & it's ok. If you're tall the roof is the 1st thing that's a problem. Anybody under 6 foot ought to sit in the back just fine for trips, if a bit snug. But the Cadillac leather & all, I thought it was ok for a back seat, nice even.

Reactions: dslay04
#32 · (Edited)

I knew I liked U for a reason. Same cars... cept.. a lil different. ;)

#35 ·
Yup.. these cars are attention magnets. And women love them both. I was driving up Mulberry St in Baltimore, right before U get to Charles.. and this chick is so entranced by the Stingray that she's walking looking back at the car.. (or was it me) that she runs right into a tree... shakes it off.. smiles and embarrassingly walks on. Dude in the car next to me says "damn.. U kno what they say.. The Vette.. gets 'em w__" :dro:

#37 ·
I doubt this cost Cadillac much money at all. Not even marketing

Reactions: Diego
#39 ·
I've always agreed with this. You don't give up on what the ELR represents because it's the right car for Cadillac. They just need to execute it properly on all levels next generation or on the successor. Put it on Alpha and problem solved.

The funny thing is, Cadillac still has a chance to own this market. No one has a personal EV coupe like this at this price point in the market. Cadillac can stand alone in this market if they followed up with a proper successor and actually made it a focal point for their brand.

#46 ·
And people on this site accuse me of being a troll! I've heard people complain about the car's price, features compared to the volt, how it performs, but I have never heard one person say they don't like how it looks! It's a amazing car, I just wish Cadillac would of put a different power train as a option to go along with the voltec system so more people could buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.