GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Will Position Cadillac CT6 as Tech Showcase

15K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  Envoy4Life 
#1 ·
GM Will Position Cadillac CT6 as Tech Showcase
Automotive News
October 1, 2014
By: Neal Boudette

DETROIT -- The CT6 sedan due late next year is intended to be more than just a high-end Cadillac.

General Motors is counting on the car to be a rolling showcase of the company’s engineering and technology prowess, and its determination once again to rise to the top of the automotive world.

“We want to establish Cadillac as the absolute pinnacle of General Motors,” President Dan Ammann said at strategy presentation today at GM’s Milford Proving Grounds.

He acknowledged that the three German brands have “owned” the luxury-car business, but vowed that Cadillac will join them in the upper ranks of the segment. “We are starting with an absolutely iconic brand,” Ammann said, “and the [Cadillac] business is already very profitable today.”

A key to the strategy will be the CT6, a new model that will be positioned at the top end of Cadillac’s lineup, ahead of the CTS and XTS, and aim to compete with flagships such as the BMW 7 series, Mercedes-Benz S Class and Audi A8.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#6 ·
I still can't stand the name; just the mention in the same sentence of XTS, CTS, and CT6 is confusing and the name of the latest car evokes an image of a product below the other two. What do I know though. Johan has a 360 degree view of the world that us little people can't begin to fathom.

Having said all that, the technology showcase thing is what they said about XTS. Because of its humble FWD origins, parts bin engine, and awkward proportions, GM was forced to make technology its claim to fame so CUE was launched along with the butt buzzing seat. I hope a second big sedan being promoted as a technology leader isn't indicative of similar basic shortcomings. GM has been quite mum on the engine line though which is not encouraging.

#7 ·
Forget "Give us 22 minutes and we'll give you the World". It's starting to look like "Give cadillac 22 minutes and they'll issue another press release". Not that I'm complaining though, I'm loving all this Cadillac news. Now we need blurry picture (or a clear one if they want)of the CT6.

#15 ·
If you like stitching from the Victorian era and little circle "bug eyes" for hvac vents. Too Busy!!!

#12 ·
Mercedes proved years ago with the Maybach's interior, that 'less is more' is an alien concept to them.
...and ironic in that "less is more" was the catchphrase of the Bauhaus design movement which of course originated....in Germany. Then again, Audi is the better exponent of that ethos.

Reactions: sfbreh
#17 ·
I know that's why I quoted Bauhaus. Audi generally has a more deft touch when it comes to the overall presentation, but someone on this site showed me an A8 with an interior that looked like a lumber yard landed on it! Mercedes is using the 'More is More' playbook lately.

#14 ·
Mercedes proved years ago with the Maybach's interior, that 'less is more' is an alien concept to them.
...and ironic in that "less is more" was the catchphrase of the Bauhaus design movement which of course originated....in Germany. Then again, Audi is the better exponent of that ethos.

#21 ·
I agree. I think we will see the entry level sedan being the current ATS size then will have a sedan the size of the last gen CTS. Where as the CT6 will be the tweener offering a sedan between the 5 and 7 series. Hearing all of this makes me wish we were looking at a spring launch instead of a fall or winter launch. Also, I wonder how far along in development are the other sedan being the entry level and mid level sedans.

#18 ·
THIS is the kind of innovation that Cadillac needs to display. I prefer this kind of progressive take on luxury. It just needs to be good looking to seal the deal. It's what makes the Tesla so successful. The Tesla isn't bought by tree huggers necessarily, it's bought by people seeking to drive innovation and beauty. It's about driving the "it" car.

This could be the Ciel's powertrain incarnate - TTV6-Hybrid. I'm willing to bet we'll hear more later. I assume it has to be paired with a gas motor and the LF3 might be it. People at the dealer showing the other day stated that it would come with a V8. I'll take that with a grain for now but there will be some kind of PHE/combustion engine combination. It would make more sense to use the LF3 from a global standpoint; 6.2 liters is the highest tax bracket you can be in.

Cadillac has called it the most dynamic vehicle in the segment, which includes the A7 and CLS. I think that's a clear clue that we haven't heard the last about the CT6. It's going to pack a punch. 0 - 60 under 6 has to be for the hybrid mode, not the combustion engine. It sounds like it will be dual mode.

Cadillac is doing a fantastic job right now of stirring up the internet. I'm sure it isn't coincidence.

#20 ·
To each his own.

MB has lost much as have many others - in tryin' to combine Sonata sensibilities along with what might look good in Beijing while sneaking past all other markets.

That last has been going on for a loooong time and is also why the ass end of almost every CUV offered in the USA looks so so ugly in a Chinese sense as well as our own.

#25 · (Edited)
There are a lot of dimensions to the concept of 'tweener and it is not just restricted to physical sizing.

So yes, it will likely be a 'tweener of sorts - and that will also likely help it succeed.

The worst possible thing you could do here is get into the ring as an up and coming welterweight with three heavyweights - and let them get you in a corner.

One, do not get in the corner.

Two, do not meet them in the Ring.

Three................well............ can't really say given the rules and all, but the idea metaphorically of course, is to surprise them in the ally behind the nightclub, with the bright lights all up and in their faces and help them........ learn some of the finer points on how to hit a softball...... with a baseball bat.

#30 ·
So is anyone here going to actually read the article? The camera rear view mirror sounds cool but also like a big gimmick. I really hope when they say technology showcase they don't actually mean gimmicks after gimmicks that only leave you with the lingering thought of "Wow that's cool...how long before that brakes".
Didn't Nissan recently release something like this on one of there cars too?

The mirror better still be frame less. I really liked that look that they were transitioning to.

#40 ·
#39 ·
I would like to see them showcase quality and reliability. Cadillac needs to get off of a couple of most reported problems and least reliable list. I do think Cadillac belongs at the forefront of technology, but they should emphasize quality , testing, and customer satisfaction.

#42 ·
A car that is a tech showcase is a car to be avoided. I'm not one who wants to be test driving new technology that may or may not work. The "old" GM was famous for using all GM owners to test out new stuff and that resulted in a hugh drop in market share. How many GM buyers do you think volunteered to experiment with the 350 diesel from Oldsmobile, the Turboglide transmission or the air ride suspension on the 58 Chevy?

#45 · (Edited)
News flash....more and more tech is coming with a rush across the industry. It also may come as a surprise that testing prior to production is much more robust than it was 30 -50 years ago. So your take is that a limited production top-of the-line Cadillac should not participate? A ton of tech has been introduced since the '80's (which you are apparently still living in) and the only recurring complaints seem to be the infotainment systems which some owners have had a difficult time adjusting to since it requires human interface and a touch of computer savvy that SOME object to. Things like magnetic ride control, TT engines, articulating headlights, traction control, cameras, versions of "smart" cruise control, lane change and blind spot detection have had little or no issues since no driver interaction is involved. BTW..new tech in cars causing loss of market share is beyond insane. Quality issues in general, yes...which includes poor panel fits, rattles, bad paint, loose fasteners and a myriad other issues that had little or nothing to do with "tech".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.