GM Inside News Forum banner

GM’s Driving Simulator Puts Super Cruise to the Test; Destined for Future Cadillacs

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Geoff Chadwick 
#1 ·
Upgraded R&D facility used to study driver behavior in automated driving situations
GM
April 21, 2014

DETROIT – Lightning-fast refreshing of visuals inside General Motors’ Research Driving Simulator are helping advanced technology developers study how drivers interact with Super Cruise, the semi-automated driving system that could be in Cadillac models later this decade.

The upgrades to the simulator provide realistic road feel and responsiveness to driver actions, reducing the feeling of disorientation associated with driving simulators, particularly during low-speed maneuvers.

A 360-degree high-definition projection screen integrated with a 2-terabyte-per-second image generator allows visuals to dynamically respond to steering and pedal force inputs within 70 milliseconds.

These enhancements let Super Cruise developers measure driver control interactions, eye-glance behavior, and evaluate driver approaches before full system vehicles are available.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lightning-fast refreshing of visuals inside General Motors’ Research Driving Simulator are helping advanced technology developers study how drivers interact with Super Cruise, the semi-automated driving system that could be in Cadillac models later this decade.
I couldn't help but smile thinking about Super Cruise debuting in Omega. :eek:

Bring it on, Cadillac!

#4 ·
Looks like fun. Do GMI members get a 10% discount?

Reactions: cad1cts
#9 ·
GM will probably let Mercedes be the first with an autonomous vehicle, even if they have fully functioning Supercruise vehicles in the fleet. I hate when GM does that!:mad: They have tech that we can only dream of, but they are afraid to bring it first to the market.

#13 ·
Was starting to wonder if this was gonna be posted here at all. It's been up on gm's media site for three days.

I think you guys are being a little gloomy here. If anything this pretty much confirms omega is debuting with this. They've been talking about it for over two years already which means they've probably been developing it for close to three or four(they're even videos of it working). Omega is still about a year or year and a half away. This is final stage testing kind of stuff.

Let's try not to over hype this thing either guys. It's just a feature that keeps you centered in a lane and steers around light bends on the highway. It's not a button you press in the garage in the morning that drives you to work automatically. All the tech this thing needs (including now lane keep assist in the 2015s) are already on cars in Cadillac's lineup. If super cruise is not here when omega launches something terrible must have gone horrible wrong.

Anyway I certainly look forward to seeing this thing in action if for the only reason in that it implies very high levels of tech in omega. The article even implies eye tracking is taking place in the car. I think at this point we can all look forward to omega having at least as many gadgets and gizmos as the s-class. Reclining back seat, soft closing doors, massaging seats ohhhh can't wait. Pebble Beach can't get here fast enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.