Confirmed: The Cadillac ATS Is Getting All-Wheel Drive

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: The Cadillac ATS Is Getting All-Wheel Drive

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Confirmed: The Cadillac ATS Is Getting All-Wheel Drive

Cadillac's own YouTube video shows off an all-wheel drive variant
    December 5th, 2011
    www.gminsidenews.com
    by: Alex Villani

Mary Barra, GM's Queen of Cars announced last week that Cadillac will debut the highly anticipated entry level sports sedan ATS at next months North American International Auto Show. Cadillac has been hinting at this vehicle for some time, starting with Bob Lutz showing off a peek at the headlight, to GM inadvertently putting up a skeleton of the car on the home page, to shadowy silhouette teaser shots. This is all part of GM and Cadillac trying to get the attention of prospective buyers by stringing them along. The final piece is Cadillac's series on YouTube titled "The Journey" which gives you a behind-the-scenes look at ATS's development by hand-picked chassis engineers doing major testing around Germany as well as the fabled Nurburgring. The videos show the car tearing up parts of the Autobahn, hammering the treacherous turns of the 'Ring, and the countless hours of electronic diagnostics and chassis tuning that is being done to make sure the vehicle is dialed in to do battle with the best from Bavaria, namely the BMW 3 series.

In the second episode, ATS's lead development engineer Chris Berube announced that the team has two weeks to nail down the details on the chassis tuning, getting it ready for final certification back home. The video goes on showing clips of engineers pouring over every part of the car, looking at data on laptops, playing with different chin spoilers, swapping out different tires, and talking about tweaking the steering inputs. You see some ATSs on the highway, dealing with traffic, making sure it has the ability to remain stable while traveling at high rates of speed and dealing with normal-road conditions. It isn't till the 1:50 mark do you get a glimpse of an ATS that seems to be lifted slightly off the ground and all of a sudden the front wheels start to spin.

Yes boys and girls, this is an all-wheel drive ATS being tested along side other powertrain variants, including one with a manual trans and one with an auto. In one scene, you see up to three ATS mules sitting in GM's paddock being worked on. On top of the AWD treat offered up in this video, you can also see several parts of the aluminum-intensive front and mostly stamped steel rear suspension as well as some shots of the interior at various parts throughout the video. We are not sure if the AWD variant will be announced or shown in Detroit, but I would bet on it. Do you see anything else? Please post up and share with the rest of us.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 12-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Nelson Kyle K's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Confirmed: The Cadillac ATS Is Getting All-Wheel Drive

So the next Impala will have AWD too then, but no RWD where's the love man?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Syclone478's Avatar
    Thanks

SX3 spotted that front wheel turning last month. (Not sure what happened to the "perma link" option but here is a link to the page where he mentions it about the fifth comment down: ATS the Journey, part II)

I haven't been this excited about a car introduction in a long time. The '13 Malibu had me anticipating but, while it is impressive, it seems like it needs something. I really hope ATS has a much greater wow factor relative to its peers. It sounds like its going to have a pretty comprehensive choice of configurations.

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ahh, so he did. I saw it a few weeks ago, but I wanted to make sure that what I was seeing was in fact AWD, and not some sort of crazy chassis testing equipment.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    SX3 spotted that front wheel turning last month. (Not sure what happened to the "perma link" option but here is a link to the page where he mentions it about the fifth comment down: ATS the Journey, part II)

I haven't been this excited about a car introduction in a long time. The '13 Malibu had me anticipating but, while it is impressive, it seems like it needs something. I really hope ATS has a much greater wow factor relative to its peers. It sounds like its going to have a pretty comprehensive choice of configurations.
    Yea I was going to say, I thought I saw someone mention this earlier.

Nice to see its pretty much confirmed, can't freakin wait to see this car.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

V coupe... That's all I'm waiting for!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Well, I'm glad AWD will be offered. I'm sure you'll be able to get a RWD only option... I hope. I'd like a V series sedan with RWD myself.

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 832 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6L

I remember mbukukanyau pointing that out in one of the ATS threads but a few people said that had nothing to do with AWD. Nice catch!
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

Thanks
    My Ride
    Terrain/2012/Olympic White

Awesome that they are offering AWD as an option on this car. With all this work they are putting into it, it ought to do excellent when it hits production.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Kyle K View Post
    This car is far smaller then impala, it slots below the CTS. AWD would be a nice option on Impala whenever they decide to redo it.
    Current:
    2012 GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 with 3.0L
    2007 Sierra 3500 Classic (dad's)x2
    2009 Chevy HHR (Moms hot rod)
    1997 Toyota Corolla (clown car, mom owns)

Past:
    1994 Ford Ranger
    1994 Ford Explorer

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I thought this would be an obvious thing considering it's competition from Lexus, BMW, Benz, Infiniti, and Audi. Hell, even the 9-3 has had AWD for several years, why wouldn't Cadillac under the NEW GM have it?

Kudos for finding this Al. The ATS, altho if 3series to G37 size, is to small for me, will be a hit, and Cadillac, including the XTS sales will be back in the 20K sales per month range I think. The real news will be what is done to the CTS and optional engines for each model moving forward, including even the Escalade and XTS. I can't see where a Diesel option for it, and the TTurbo option for the XTS, would be a bad idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Kyle K View Post
    What does Impala have to do with this news?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rueben44's Avatar
    Thanks

If I don't buy a Buick then I am hoping this will be my first NEW Cadillac. A nice mid-level coupe w/ auto trans would be sweet.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

What is the news here? We have known for a long time that the ATS would have awd as an option. That they are testing awd in Germany shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Why wouldn't the awd version have the same level of development as the rwd version?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This news makes me happy. The only way i would get and ATS is if it was AWD. Im going to be looking into getting a new vehicle around 2014 and unless the ATS really impresses me I will most likely go with a 335xi
    Current Rides: 2003 Silverado 1500HD, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1969 Chevelle Malibu, 1969 Chevy C20 (Current Project), 1977 Chevy K20 (Future Project)
    Past Rides: 2005 Silverado SS , 2003 Z71 Tahoe, 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 2001 Silverado 1500, 1989 Ford F250

Thanks

Where is the ATS slated to be built?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information