GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac's Problem of the Cars It Can't Sell

20K views 189 replies 65 participants last post by  mkwelbornjr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the link:

http://247wallst.com/autos/2016/04/29/cadillacs-problem-of-the-cars-it-cant-sell/

This contributes significantly to harming Cadillac resale values. Bolder, sophisticated styling, with Cadillac design cues (think El Miraj concept), would do wonders to remedy this situation.

Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

By Douglas A. McIntyre
April 29, 2016
247wallst.com

Cadillac dealers have a problem. The cars they take from the manufacturer sit on their lots for a longer time than almost any other car company’s models. It is likely a sign that the luxury car brand of General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM), in a battle with the industry leaders BMW, Mercedes and Toyota’s (NYSE: TM) Lexus, is failing.

According to a new study by 24/7 Wall St., Cars Americans Don’t Want, Cadillac has three models on the list: ELR, ATS and CTS. Cadillac has released a new large sedan, the CT6, which it hopes can reverse a difficult trend.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

#3 ·
Re: Article: Cadillac's Problem of the Cars It Can't Sell

I think an extensive interior and exterior refresh would do the Alpha cars wonders.
I disagree. ATS it might help to an extent, CTS is just too small for the money. Both cars and the lineup in general needs to move on to next gen styling and they need to fundamentally change how they package their cars physically and on the option sheet.

Needs big fenders. Needs smooth lines. No crap single character lines and calling it a day. Needs to use more light. Needs less committee styling.

OP is right:

They just need simplicity. Their cars are too busy. Too many shadows where they don't need any, too many lines where there shouldn't be any.

#4 ·

The ATS spent nearly two weeks longer on the lots before being sold than its counterparts
Not that the ATS's above average time on lots and low sales ISN'T a problem, is less than two weeks that big of a deal? That tells me that Cadillac at least has the production volume more or less figured out and isn't over-producing. At first when I read 153 days my thought was "yikes", but then they said what I quoted, so the segment average is 130 days (153 minus "less than two weeks"). I'd like to see the average for the CTS's segment as well to put this article in context. We are all used to hearing ~65 days for ideal (and most will assume that is what is ideal for the ATS and CTS), the author needs to put things in context otherwise the article is misleading as most will assume the ~65 is where the ATS should be at.

Either way, my point is semantics, the ATS/CTS have problems that need to be solved to increase volume. I'm not sold that the problem is the styling, I'd like to see sustained marketing for the ATS and CTS (which I really don't see any). I want to see the ATS flashing away on that giant light up sign in Times Square, NY - marketing that can't be ignored. Except for its initial launch (where the ads were good) the ATS hasn't had any good ads and now I see none. Dancing robots did no one any favor, except those who want Caddy to fail.

#31 · (Edited)

Not that the ATS's above average time on lots and low sales ISN'T a problem, is less than two weeks that big of a deal? That tells me that Cadillac at least has the production volume more or less figured out and isn't over-producing. At first when I read 153 days my thought was "yikes", but then they said what I quoted, so the segment average is 130 days (153 minus "less than two weeks"). I'd like to see the average for the CTS's segment as well to put this article in context. We are all used to hearing ~65 days for ideal (and most will assume that is what is ideal for the ATS and CTS), the author needs to put things in context otherwise the article is misleading as most will assume the ~65 is where the ATS should be at.

Either way, my point is semantics, the ATS/CTS have problems that need to be solved to increase volume. I'm not sold that the problem is the styling, I'd like to see sustained marketing for the ATS and CTS (which I really don't see any). I want to see the ATS flashing away on that giant light up sign in Times Square, NY - marketing that can't be ignored. Except for its initial launch (where the ads were good) the ATS hasn't had any good ads and now I see none. Dancing robots did no one any favor, except those who want Caddy to fail.
153-130=23 days, most months have 25 or 26 selling days, that is almost another months worth of inventory; Cadillac's problem is too many dealers which requires more inventory, but if you close dealers, sales will drop even more............

That wasn't an "Article".

Kryst, if the author knew anything of the subject, he'd not even mention the ELR which is dying soon.

He would also know that the ATS and CTS are now covering a market where Cadillac had only one car for about a decade.
"Chicken or the egg?" i.e. The ELR wouldn't be dying if it was selling.............

Right, so GM has 2 cars, covering what they use to do with one (and combined) they can't sell what they use to with that one car!?

Aren't you the heart of the generation that took the brunt of Detroit's poor quality on the chin? Meaning your generation led the way to imports (understandably so), will any amounts of advertising ever win your generation back? Especially Cadillac, whose offerings were anything but desirable luxury? My wealthy, 67 year old, father in law like to discuss cars with me, he will NEVER buy an American car again after the string of poorly built American cars he bought. He wouldn't take a brand new top of the line CTS, even if GM tried to sell it to him for $1.

So would targeting your generation be money well spent?
So then what demographic wants 4-door sedans with almost un-usable back seats, the kids with no jobs living in mom's basement?

What some of the posters on this site who are too damned biased in favor of FWD compromised crap don't get is that while many, if not most people don't know if a particular car is FWD or RWD, they do know that one feels and looks great and the other not. RWD has better steering feel, handles better and has better proportions. That is what these ignorant consumers perceive,which drives their purchasing decisions and their respect for the brand. And that's why the best luxury cars (yes, that excludes Lincoln) are RWD and why Cadillac cars need to be RWD.
So - "Idiot buyers are too stupid to know what they want"? - Might be the buyers fault, but it is Cadillac's problem.

The big ones can be RWD.
But it ain't gonna matter if they stick with this tepid CT6 styling theme. They can sell that in China, not here.

RWD suxs for small cars and CUVs. Space is too precious to waste on "proportions".
Plus, they can be based on volume platforms which frees up money for nicer interiors.

Base ATS: Too much $$ in the platform, none left for luxury. It doesn't "look great", it looks cheap.
Good point about "wasting space" on smaller cars.

I find this thread almost hillarious, I was critical of Cadillac's strategy (size/pricing) now that it has failed nobody is supporting it and everyone is saying "yeah - see I told you so"
(and I'm not talking to you eaton, just speaking in general terms)

And it's profitable, sharing many components with the Impala and LaCrosse and probably Malibu and Regal too.
Stop; you are just piling on now...................... (besides, the XTS is going to be discontinued soon) :fall:

;)

#5 ·

I'm seeing ATS-V/ATS ads all the time here in the northeast on TV. They're attempting to use the awesome V coupe styling to help sell the much less exciting base sedan. Not exactly encouraging.

#6 ·

I'm seeing ATS-V/ATS ads all the time here in the northeast on TV. They're attempting to use the awesome V coupe styling to help sell the much less exciting base sedan. Not exactly encouraging.
I must not be watching the right shows, all I ever see are ads for the new CT6 and I'm in the NE as well (CT).

#8 ·

This contributes significantly to harming Cadillac resale values. Bolder, sophisticated styling, with Cadillac design cues (think El Miraj concept), would do wonders to remedy this situation.
This is 100% on the mark.

Just look at the sales of the Escalade. It appears that consumers of Cadillac really want some extra style and "bling" with their cars. Not sedate German styling.

Even Jeremy Clarkson stated years ago when the Sixteen concept came out. "Cadillac is the only car maker than can pull off such a brash car."

#13 ·

Just look at the sales of the Escalade. It appears that consumers of Cadillac really want some extra style and "bling" with their cars. Not sedate German styling. Even Jeremy Clarkson stated years ago when the Sixteen concept came out. "Cadillac is the only car maker than can pull off such a brash car."
1. Escalade really isn't 'blingy' at all, tho that's a common perception. In comparison; the Mercedes GLS has a lot more lines / is fussier than the clean Escalade.
2. Likewise, the Sixteen (exterior styling) was a VERY smooth, clean design, not festooned with cuts/ lines/ scoops/ 10 square feet of plastic gridwork and other trappings of 'bling'. It's a conservative (yet beautiful) design, not flashy, blingy or "brash".
Underhood is another story, of course! ;)

#9 ·

As I pulled into my local PetSmart the other day, a white ATS coupe was pulling in also. I approached the car to talk with the owner, a little old lady. She said she loved the car, but there was only one problem - it was too hard to get into the back seats. Then she continued that she had to do what was right for HER, since she drives the car and doesn't sit in the back! When I asked her if it was AWD and 4 or 6 cylinders, she just smiled and shrugged. BTW, it was a 2.0T AWD. Gorgeous car! I think this was maybe the third coupe I've seen on the road around here.

#10 ·

As I pulled into my local PetSmart the other day, a white ATS coupe was pulling in also. I approached the car to talk with the owner, a little old lady. She said she loved the car, but there was only one problem - it was too hard to get into the back seats. Then she continued that she had to do what was right for HER, since she drives the car and doesn't sit in the back! When I asked her if it was AWD and 4 or 6 cylinders, she just smiled and shrugged. BTW, it was a 2.0T AWD. Gorgeous car! I think this was maybe the third coupe I've seen on the road around here.
I'm guessing the RWD biased platform closed that sale!

#12 ·

CT6 has many of the same issues... except for the front, it's dull as dishwater.
My wide doesn't even like and she loves all things Cadillac.
We'll see how it does...

#68 ·

CT6 has many of the same issues... except for the front, it's dull as dishwater.
My wide doesn't even like and she loves all things Cadillac.
We'll see how it does...
I don't have the lux car market figured out as well as all of you experts, but I do know that it's dangerous to refer to your wife in this manner...

#18 ·

Kryst, if the author knew anything of the subject, he'd not even mention the ELR which is dying soon.

He would also know that the ATS and CTS are now covering a market where Cadillac had only one car for about a decade.

Reactions: AMERICA 123
#32 · (Edited)

It is a hit piece of sorts.

Author is a well known source for that, especially with regard to GM.

Had a real long run as a Toyoski Tool although to no surprise, when Farley moved that started to change up to include some other - just like it did elsewhere - including here.

Seems the things those that wish Cadillac no real genuine good...... including with regard to here btw, have to do with all the Global numbers and also separately, the positive numbers / developments within the mix of USA data for 2016 Q1.

( Cadillac Revenue / Revenue Improvement is that which must never be spoken of .... Think this is likely about getting a few more cheap ass shots in - that a few competitors definitely could use now and later .... before the positive impacts of XT5 / CT6 and the continued evolution of the Brand take it all up another level. )

By necessity, and perhaps even by deliberate purpose, this minimizes all the impressive gains and or improvements that all the 'other' sometimes simple changes are providing for Cadillac results.

The 'remanagement' / 'repurposing' of the Brand is already paying off - and likely bigger, better, and faster than most anticipated - and than some would like to see - somewhere.

One of the many completely ignored and somewhat desperately spun away from items ( especially here @ GMI ) by the spin docs is just how well all these 'other' items have synergistically improved not only the gross / 'net of Consumer Incentive' ATPs in the USA, but also Globally.

And that btw, is the first Game - @ the first Big Table.

--

Have to back up for a sec because two critical pieces outside, have a lot of bearing here and are also ignored in all the spin.

One, the first thing ignored from the outside that really matters is .... how... many of the individual vehicles, Brands and some cases, Premium OEMs have been doing - which is far less cheery and also flat out lousy in many cases and with regard to many things. Since about the last half or third of 2015 and then in 2016 Q1. ( And likely with regard to the first 2016 trimester. ) So the 'comparative ruler' to measure against is always left out because of the favorable effect it would bring.

Two, the earlier, recent, initial Yo Yo Up section and also the Problem Period ( Yo Yo down section ) ) that came right after create both a perception problem of sorts - which semi intelligent discussion can handle easily enough, but also ... created an overhang 'problem'. Quite frankly in a really good way, one of the biggest shocks with that last is just how much positive progress has been made - so quickly. They have some more to go, but that ain't nothing compared to what has been clawed back - by almost sheer will of effort in a sense.

So anyway, the sum of all these other outside / inside things plus two others ( 'inside') deserve a strong mention because of the results provided.

Two of the results that are surprisingly good are that one, as per JdN on AutoLine, Cadillac was the only Premium Brand to decrease and or not increase ? Incentive Spend Globally over CYR 2015.

That is huge, even if not by much Dollar change for one or two other.

Second, Global ATP on ATS was up around 2,000 US $ per unit - which is also ( incontrovertibly ) huge, given the ATS Global Volume increases in 2015.

While the Segment as a whole went down with regard to both.

CTS went up ( yet again ) almost 3,500 US $ Globally although volume was in fact down and down substantially. We all need to remember though, that the Comparitor, CYR 2014 benefited hugely from having essentially two Lines of CTS to sell....

One factor mentioned with regard to all this - that likely has effect beyond many here's expectations and ah, hope, was the Optional Equipment unbundling and reconfiguring.

That plus the Inventory improvements ( and yes, they are in fact much improved ) , Build scheduling improvements, and Production process flexibility improvements has, is, and likely will continue to provide some seriously good and well needed improvement.

Many of the other changes concerning what and how a Dealer receives basic payouts and incentives seems to have seriously helped stiffen the total amount of Discounting as well.

And yet, when the twits and twats even bother to mention some of these and the others I left out for brevity's sake, they boil it all down to Escalade effects - which while certainly a positive and in the USA a good sized one at that - goes beyond a bad joke when Global results are considered.

Maybe JdN slightly misspoke it somehow unintentionally, but the almost 8,000 $ Global ATP improvement he mentioned in the same interview for CYR 2015 Global results is about a hell of a lot more more than Escalade / Escalade effects.

In fact the humor involved in the spin against can be even more fully appreciated when one considers just how much ATS and SRX contributed to the volume result and volume gain versus Escalade, and also tellingly, XTS, ELR, and for all the all the Volume Roses, CTS Global Volume did not...... although CTS Global ATP was hugely positive.

I'm just gonna guess........... that the ah, 'greenest eyes' furtively looking their way have to include more than a few @ Lincoln - and Lexus.

Reactions: megeebee
#19 ·

I have said this before. I am just north of 65 , live in golf community in Florida full of people who own BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Jaguars and a smattering of Bentleys. The only Cadillacs are a fewWe apparently are not part of Cadillac's target market even though I am surrounded by people with the disposable income to buy Cadillacs. Cadillac's advertising is not directed at them. They don't understand Cadillac's naming strategy so with the exception of the Escalade they don't even look at the cars. Targeting millennials in lower Manhattan is ok but they need to do some golf and other activities geezers like me with cash do - like a bit of promotion for Cadillac's racing program. Why the H3ll do it if they are not going to promote it. I question if Cadillac will even have a presence at Amelia island or Pebble Beach now that Ed Welburn is retiring. I'm just venting because I see opportunities for sales missed.

#20 ·

I have said this before. I am just north of 65 , live in golf community in Florida full of people who own BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Jaguars and a smattering of Bentleys. The only Cadillacs are a fewWe apparently are not part of Cadillac's target market even though I am surrounded by people with the disposable income to buy Cadillacs. Cadillac's advertising is not directed at them. They don't understand Cadillac's naming strategy so with the exception of the Escalade they don't even look at the cars. Targeting millennials in lower Manhattan is ok but they need to do some golf and other activities geezers like me with cash do - like a bit of promotion for Cadillac's racing program. Why the H3ll do it if they are not going to promote it. I question if Cadillac will even have a presence at Amelia island or Pebble Beach now that Ed Welburn is retiring. I'm just venting because I see opportunities for sales missed.
Aren't you the heart of the generation that took the brunt of Detroit's poor quality on the chin? Meaning your generation led the way to imports (understandably so), will any amounts of advertising ever win your generation back? Especially Cadillac, whose offerings were anything but desirable luxury? My wealthy, 67 year old, father in law like to discuss cars with me, he will NEVER buy an American car again after the string of poorly built American cars he bought. He wouldn't take a brand new top of the line CTS, even if GM tried to sell it to him for $1.

So would targeting your generation be money well spent?

#35 · (Edited)

And then there is .... the non measured space..... which these days is often the more important thing by far for real comfort / ingress / egress and perceived comfort.

Especially in helping avoid the claustrophobic thing. Truth be told though.... all about the Glass and Light and outward view and no, I do not want it from a big ass / Safety compromising / weight gaining up high / dumb ass hole in the Roof.

I digress.

--

Thought the one off hand remark concerning Malibu and Malibu 'Project Personal' spending time in the back seat unlike typical..... explained about twenty plus years worth of back seat 'design' questions from over here.

And that is a conservative estimate.

#40 ·

Cadillac don't need to be and can afford to be a value luxury brand any longer. They have to start somewhere with the ATS and CTS for the current generation model on price. The only thing Cadillac messed up on is with interior volume but that can be remedied in the next generation models. Since it is ATS's and CTS's first time competing full time against their respective segment, obviously sales are not going to be very high the first time. The ATS is selling better than Volvo S60 which has been on the market longer and not a bad car itself. Just about all the entry-level cars back then was not great sellers also, so it should not be a surprise the ATS is not blowing up the sales charts. The CTS is mid-pack in sales volume and outselling the Q70 and the car is going back and forth in sales with GS and A6. So sales are not bad as some have it out to be. The problem that makes it look bad is turnaround time of cars sitting on dealer lots compared to the competition which should not be judge in the first place and not a fair comparison since Cadillac have far more dealers and less than half of them are full time standalone dealers.

Cadillac don't need to waste money on trying to advertise to the baby boomers since they are set in their ways. They are too stubborn and will not give Cadillac a chance. They are going to stick with German and Asian competition till they can't drive anymore and/or die. Cadillac needs to market in areas for potential growth and that is what they are doing.

#43 · (Edited)

The only thing Cadillac messed up on is with interior volume but that can be remedied in the next generation models.
That's not the only thing they messed up.

The ATS is bland.
The base ATS is bland and it looks cheap.
CUE didn't work out of the box.
The CTS is bland except for the front.
Their optioning was (is?) stupid.
Funny thing is, it's easy to get the more popular options onto an XTS, so they know how to do it.
Their feature set is incomplete. It's absurd that you can get stuff on a KIA that you can't get on these.

So, they screw up all this stuff and then have the gall to charge German prices.
Get it right and price it right, build a customer base and then start charging more.
They jumped straight into charging more. Fail.

Before any of that, build some CUVs. That's more important than fixing the ATS & CTS.

So sales are not bad as some have it out to be.
It's bad. CTS has sold as many as 61K units and 47K units as recently as 2012.
Now they can't even make 47K with two cars.
A FWD CT2 and a tweener CT4 would blow that 47K number away.

Also, don't get rid of the XTS (CT5?). There is demand for that car.

Reactions: Ed753
#51 · (Edited)
Cadillac offered a RWD SRX. I owned one... a 2007. It was a very fine vehicle.
It averaged 22332 sales per year. The current averages 57448 sales per year.
GM can count. FWD XT5 = easiest decision ever.

Sedans are still a big chunk of the market. They're not minivans.

Reactions: GM Insider News
#52 ·
This may sound crazy, but Cadillac maybe shouldn't be competing with BMW, et al, in the car market. NO ATS. No new CT6 (sorry to say it, because I love the car).

What Cadillac should have done instead was a totally flash, hot CUV-sporty kinda. Big thing, tall-ish, but rakish, too, like that odd chop-op BMW X6 (or the hideous new MB XYZ, or whatever they call it). A vehicle as sophisticated as the CT6. Something concept car, '59 Cadillac crazy - but producible, or course. Something utterly desirable to the CUV crazy buyers.

Then, once that catches on (in a way that no standard format sedan never will), maybe only when buyers are demanding Cadillac sedans, then bring out another car car.

#55 · (Edited)
Guy, I agree with that completely.

You can't just say "we feel we are equal to BMW, so you will pay BMW prices for our products." It doesn't work that way. You have to earn the right to charge BMW prices for your products. What is the compelling reason to buy the Cadillac over the "known" BMW or Mercedes??

There is none, and GM doesn't seem to get that. You can make a product that is as good (better in some ways, worse in others), but that doesn't mean you just magically demand the same respect that the others have worked decades to get to. Slowly build your price as more and more people accept that your product is as good (by buying or leasing). Success breeds success. This "we are special because we say so" stuff is ridiculous.

Whatever. They will do what they will do. They will learn, or they will suffer the stagnant or falling sales that they are. If they get low enough on the sedans, then they can just import them from China since they are made there also.

#76 ·
What is the compelling reason to buy the Cadillac over the "known" BMW or Mercedes??
Class leading chassis tuning represents the main raison d'être for Cadillac ATS and CTS over sedans in their respective segments from BMW and Daimler. That's what prompted my brother to choose Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6MT over a comparable BMW F30 back in 2013.

Sadly, his ATS encountered serious powertrain issues that couldn't be fixed and was ultimately bought back by General Motors last year in an arbitration settlement (yes, the depreciation on these cars is very steep!!). My brother now owns a 2013 BMW F30 320i that he bought as a pre-owned car from a member of BMW Car Club of America.

#59 · (Edited)
Or maybe the reason GM cancelled the Sigma SRX was that not enough buyers felt the same as you....

I hate that, one day you wake up and vehicles I liked/preferred are now on the fringe
as the great unwashed does not appreciate the difference in driving dynamics
afforded by RWD based vehicles.

GM spent a truck load extra developing RWD ATS and CTS over just reskinning
a couple of Verano and Regal because they though enough buyers would appreciate
the better technical excellence and driving dynamics , all with a premium price.
I hope they stick with Alpha until sales grow a bit more am people appreciate it.
(sorry connection drop out)

#72 ·
Top 10 reasons for Cadillac's woes today-

1) High prices
2) Bland side and rear styling
3) 4 cylinder engines that are shared with Chevy Malibu's and other less expensive models
4) Instrument clusters that looks like something from 15 years ago
5) Indifferent assembly quality especially the interior
6) Indifferent meaningless naming structures, Escalade aside. Cadillac's big car was called a Deville for years and then changed to a DTS then an XTS and now its called CT6(insanity)
7) Poor rear seat leg, foot and knees space
8) Lackluster advertising
9) Not enough SUV/CUV's
10) Damaged brand reputation

If the current CEO can't acknowledge these blatant obvious facts they need to get another person running Cadillac before its too late!

#78 ·
Unfortunately due to government regulations - GM needs to produce 4 cyl models but I think they all need work, at least the ones they put in Caddys.

High prices are a big one for me. I look at a Malibu Premier which is stunning and with every feature it's $3-6K less than a cramped ATS with less options. Unless I must have a Caddy - the Malibu will treat you very well!

#73 ·
sedans are a shrinking market and SUV/CUVs are a growing market.....something will eventually replace the coupes and sedans.....Cadillac sedans are selling poorly and its CUV/SUVs are hot sellers....people prefer to set higher off the ground those days because of better visibility and SUVs are more roomy than sedans and not as cramped....by the 2020s they would probably have evented something alternative to sedans....maybe a CUV/Wagon that is taller than sedans and a little lower than SUVs...something similar to the Subaru Outback.....the biggest sedans is still not roomy enough and SUV/CUVs are the best bet for the future.

#75 ·
I'm a fan of Cadillac's V-series cars and would love to own an ATS-V. But, my local dealer's inventory shows cars in the $73k-$80k price range. Are you kidding, Cadillac? At that price, my larger Chevrolet SS with V8 power is relative steal! I could almost buy two SS's for the price of one ATS-V. Seems to me like that should be CTS-V pricing, not ATS-V. I'll keep my Holden-badged $43.5k SS and get way more looks and questions than any Caddy would and laugh all the way to the bank.

Reactions: 2b2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.