Cadillac virtual mirror improves vision

6K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  sfbreh 
#1 ·
Cadillac virtual mirror improves vision
www.cnet.com/news/cadillac
December 18, 2014
By: Wayne Cunningham

Cadillac Rear Vision Streaming Video

Technology continues to upend traditional automotive tropes, as today Cadillac announced its new CT6 model will incorporate a rear-view camera instead of a mirror. Cadillac notes that the wide camera view increases rearward visibility over a standard mirror by 300 percent.

Unlike the back-up cameras common in cars today, Cadillac's system replaces the standard in-cabin rear-view mirror with a similarly sized video monitor. The system continuously feeds video from a wide-angle camera mounted on the rear of the car to the monitor.

This system not only gives drivers a wider view to the rear, reducing blind spots caused by pillars, but also lets drivers see through obstructions in the car itself, such as an over-packed cargo area.

Cadillac notes that a toggle on the mirror will let drivers revert to a traditional rearview mirror view. A hydrophobic coating on the camera lens helps keep it clear of water and dirt.

This new feature is set to debut on the CT6, a new large luxury sedan from Cadillac launching in 2015. Cadillac notes its virtual mirror will be available late next year.

More at the Link

See less See more
#11 ·
I keep telling myself it isn't, but I think it is.

The CTS doesn't have that stitching on the dash going in that direction. The XTS does, but where the stitching ends looks different in the car that has the mirror in it, or at least I think it does.

I'm like 70% sure that's the CT6.

#12 ·
If it is the inside or not (I don't think it is) I really hope that's not the finally design of the mirror itself. The current frame less mirrors they have just look so much better and more premium. My only hope is that the mirror still looks mildly prototype-ish and that they used the same picture a few months ago when they announced this same thing, so it could still be a pre-production not final type thing.

#18 ·
This type of technology is advancing the science and safety of the cars for Cadillac and likely many others. Throw in automatic braking, Super Cruise, blind-zone alerts and virtual a and b pillars, and cars will get safer and more expensive.
This mirror system may need government approval to be used, but it WILL make driving safer.
Cadillac needs to offer an "Advanced Safety Option" that will bring the best safety to its models and a REAL reason to buy a Cadillac!

#23 ·
Big friggin' deal.
All of the luxury makers are going to 360 degree Around View cameras.
Where the heck is that???

#35 ·
So let me get this straight, if I install this mirror in my Soul, I can have 20-20 or perhaps 20-15 vision?

Sign me up!! :drive:

#37 ·
THAT is like grody to the max!!:eek:

#44 ·
I hope the New Guy does something about Cadillac's convoluted options.
It's not at all easy to figure out if the cars have certain features.

ATS for example...

I drove a Premium, but you can't get MRC with AWD. Have no idea why, doesn't make any sense.
Fortunately with the shocks set to Touring the ride improves to acceptable.
If I got one, the run flat tires would be replaced by ride biased regular tires when they wear out.

Power folding mirrors... option lists seem to say no, but owners manual seems to say yes.
Ventilated seats... I don't think so, but I'm not sure. That just means no black
At least now the steering wheel is power tilt / telescope. Too bad the memory package doesn't adjust it.

I think I've got a handle on it for the most part, but I had to do some digging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.