Cadillac Technologies Target Traffic

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cadillac Technologies Target Traffic

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    February 26, 2013

Cadillac is packaging safety technologies to help ease the rigors of the daily commute from the driveway to crowded parking structures and congested freeways.

The new ATS sport sedan is one of three 2013 Cadillac models with Driver Assist technology that uses cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors and automatic braking to help make common traffic situations safer. In certain low-speed conditions, the car can even brake automatically to help prevent collisions.

“The mall parking packed with cars making it difficult to see what’s coming, or the parking deck at work, or the stop and go of a freeway commute – these are hassles that drivers navigate every day,” said James Bell, General Motors head of consumer affairs. “Cadillac Driver Assist can help make these situations less treacherous and maybe more bearable.”

Some of the Driver Assist features designed to ease the everyday commute include:

• Full Speed Adaptive Cruise Control extends traditional cruise control to more situations, such as managing the car’s acceleration and braking automatically from a driver-set highway “cruising” speed down to a full stop, such as at a toll booth, while maintaining a safe following distance.
    • Rear Cross Traffic Alert – Scanning areas adjacent to the car on each side extends driver vision such as when backing out of a parking spot with vehicles on both sides. Cadillac’s Safety Alert Seat warns the driver of traffic approaching from the left or right using directional seat vibration pulses. This patented warning approach is tied to all of the on-board crash avoidance systems.
    • Rear Vision Camera with Dynamic Guidelines allows the driver, when in reverse, to view objects directly behind the vehicle via the eight-inch monitor on the center stack. A set of red and yellow guidelines appear on the display to mark the vehicle’s turn radius, allowing for easier parking and backing maneuvers.
    • Automatic Front and Rear Braking will apply emergency braking automatically in certain driveway, parking lot and heavy traffic conditions if it detects a vehicle in front of or behind the car.
    • Forward Collision Alert uses the Safety Alert Seat's haptic warning to vibrate both sides of the driver's seat when the car approaches a stationary or moving vehicle ahead too rapidly.

In addition to the ATS, the Driver Assist package is available on the all-new XTS luxury sedan and the revamped SRX luxury crossover.

“Most of us think of driving a luxury car on open roads, and of course cars like the new ATS sport sedan are right at home doing that,” said Bell. “But traffic and parking situations are way more common. A great car should help you in those conditions, too.”

Video available at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Cadillac Technologies Target Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    GM
    February 26, 2013

Is that the ATS? It looks like it, then it does not look like it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Is that the ATS? It looks like it, then it does not look like it.
    Yeah, that's the ATS. It's just the view from the rearview camera that makes it look different.
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Pardon me but how is this newsworthy? We know about the traffic alert system on the new Caddy's already.
    RedSkyBlackDream

Thanks

Sounds like GM-Cadillac is looking for a "driving" syndrome to sell their high-tech solutions for...like the pharmaceuticals did with the "restless leg" syndrome.

More technology to assume the blame for the drivers mistakes?
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 02-26-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Good stuff, though one step closer to cars that drive themselves (not sure if that a good or bad thing).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Pardon me but how is this newsworthy? We know about the traffic alert system on the new Caddy's already.
    If you don't like a topic at GMI, don't comment on it. It's newsworthy for those of us that are interested, and the "How is this newsworthy?" scold comments are boring.

If you have an issue with a thread, take it up with the thread starter in a private message.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if GM will take it one step further and match Ford with an active park assist system of their own. The funny thing is all the safety features in the world isn't going to save brain dead drivers, they will still find a tree or river to drive into. GM can justify why their offerings cost so much, so good for them.

Thanks

I wonder if GM will take it one step further and match Ford with an active park assist system of their own. The funny thing is all the safety features in the world isn't going to save brain dead drivers, they will still find a tree or river to drive into. GM can justify why their offerings cost so much, so good for them.
    Well Holden just did debut an automatic parking system for the new Commodore, so I imagine that will filter into NA GM products. Probably on the new CTS first, probably the Escalade too and then the Omega based cars.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...."

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jetstar63's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...."
    Dave, you will now take your pills....... Have you taken your pills yet Dave?....... Good. Now I will tell you what you need to do today.
    Real men wear kilts

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information