Cadillac SRX to be made in China - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac SRX to be made in China

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 johnny smallblock's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1972 Cutlass Supreme

Re: Cadillac SRX to be made in China

I think some people are over reacting. Our SRXs will still be made in Mexico, just like they are now. But since GM is expecting to sell a bunch more in China then they do now, it makes sense for them to set up a factory there, rather then ship them half way around the world.
    Current .......................R.I.P.
    2013 Chevy Spark.............1999 H-nda Elite (stolen)
    2006 Ford Escape Hybrid...1996 Caprice LT1 (donated when gas hit $4)
    1972 Cutlass Supreme......1996 H-nda Elite (wrecked in a wipeout)
    .....................................1995 H-nda Civic (T-boned by a police car)
    .....................................1986 Plymouth Colt Vista (died)
    .....................................1978 Chevy Mailbu (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC code blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Nissan GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    just as long as we dont get that chinese made crap here.
    Easier said than done. BTW, the steering system in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler listed in your signature was made by China Automotive Systems (CAAS). See for yourself: http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...hrysler_north/. But don't worry, steering control is so overrated.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

The US has a 25% 'Chicken Tax' tariff on trucks which effectively forces anyone who wants to sell pickups to make them there. The only reason Toyota, Mazda, Honda, BMW et al are in the US is because of the tariffs Reagan imposed.

And Audi, VW as well as GM and Ford, Toyota - all have plants in China turning out Chinese market cars. Surprise surprise - counties act in their own economic interest.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Its a crime that a Cadillac sold in the US needs to be built in Mexico. I could possibly understand a low price Chevy econobox... but a Caddy? C'Mon man!

That is more of an outrage than the fact that GM will be building them in China for the Chinese market.

That said, we should have similar tarriffs on good being imported from China as they do to our goods being exported there.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo 6spd
    2003 GMC Yukon XL SLE
    1963 Mercury Meteor

Past Rides:
    2001 Olds Alero GX 5spd
    2000 GMC Yukon SLE
    1990 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible
    1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Just leave out the melamine and the lead, please.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Camaro View Post
    Oh, it's not so innocent as that my friend. They're not "messing up"...they're bought off by big business and the chinese, japanese, koreans...you name them, they've bought off our politicians.
    I didn't mean to make anyone assume it was out of ignorance. It is to a degree though mostly it's all about sefishness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by govtraksam View Post
    Gee, you mean that China has trade barriers erected that hurt our exports and jobs. So instead of forcing China to open its market, we instead just offshore the entire factory and jobs that go with it. Still wonder why there is high unemployment and low wages in the U.S.? It's long past time that we insist that the politicians stop selling out America to the special interests.
    You are under the assumption that the US doesn't have the same barriers. If you think the US doesn't.... you'd be dead wrong.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    RHD:09 CTS,07 SRX/ LHD:13 ATS

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    You are under the assumption that the US doesn't have the same barriers. If you think the US doesn't.... you'd be dead wrong.
    No you are wrong. Other than the chicken tax on trucks, the US has very few barriers, certainly not high tariffs and import duties as you see in China and other countries, nor any requirement that foreign investors only have a certain percentage of shareholding in US companies they wish to acquire. Someone here said that there was a "Reagan tariff" that forced companies to build cars in the USA- that is not true, it was a voluntary restraint on supply into the US by Japanese companies that was temporary. The US would never have been allowed by world trade rules to impose mandatory duties on Japanese cars. Hell even your government's stimulus money was not allowed to be spent on only "made in the USA" products. The exception is US military spending for obvious reasons, and even then, the DOD buys a hell of a lot of stuff from foreign suppliers, and puts foreign companies on their bidding lists, which foreign countries almost never do with US suppliers. For example, what US companies were asked to bid on the Airbus A-400 military transport? Compare that with the USAF tanker bid.

I live in South Africa were we export tens of thousands of C-Class Mercs made in Port Elizabeth to the USA duty free, due to a US law which helps developing counties to export to the US. However, if I want to import a Cadillac from the USA, I have to pay a 35-40% import duty, plus 14% VAT. A USD40k Caddy ends up costing me USD64k!. There is no reciprocal zero rating of US made goods. We screw the USA and you guys just take it. Now thousands of jobs are created here (thanks!), but you'd think your politicians would also care about the jobs in Lansing, Michigan (and your trade balance) and would insist that we allow US cars also be imported duty free. But nope, not a peep from the US Government! It seems you guys either have the most incompetent government imaginable or one which cares more about people in other countries than you!

As for the SRX, also remember that the ATS will also be made in China, and that WILL mean US jobs lost as Lansing will not get the opportunity to make vehickles destined for China (and probably Korea, India and other export destinations in Asia and possibly the Middle East).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VEII SV6 "Chlorophyll"

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    No you are wrong. Other than the chicken tax on trucks, the US has very few barriers, certainly not high tariffs and import duties as you see in China and other countries, nor any requirement that foreign investors only have a certain percentage of shareholding in US companies they wish to acquire. Someone here said that there was a "Reagan tariff" that forced companies to build cars in the USA- that is not true, it was a voluntary restraint on supply into the US by Japanese companies that was temporary. The US would never have been allowed by world trade rules to impose mandatory duties on Japanese cars. Hell even your government's stimulus money was not allowed to be spent on only "made in the USA" products. The exception is US military spending for obvious reasons, and even then, the DOD buys a hell of a lot of stuff from foreign suppliers, and puts foreign companies on their bidding lists, which foreign countries almost never do with US suppliers. For example, what US companies were asked to bid on the Airbus A-400 military transport? Compare that with the USAF tanker bid.

I live in South Africa were we export tens of thousands of C-Class Mercs made in Port Elizabeth to the USA duty free, due to a US law which helps developing counties to export to the US. However, if I want to import a Cadillac from the USA, I have to pay a 35-40% import duty, plus 14% VAT. A USD40k Caddy ends up costing me USD64k!. There is no reciprocal zero rating of US made goods. We screw the USA and you guys just take it. Now thousands of jobs are created here (thanks!), but you'd think your politicians would also care about the jobs in Lansing, Michigan (and your trade balance) and would insist that we allow US cars also be imported duty free. But nope, not a peep from the US Government! It seems you guys either have the most incompetent government imaginable or one which cares more about people in other countries than you!

As for the SRX, also remember that the ATS will also be made in China, and that WILL mean US jobs lost as Lansing will not get the opportunity to make vehickles destined for China (and probably Korea, India and other export destinations in Asia and possibly the Middle East).
    Thanks Patrickbec,,
    Australia has a Free Trade agreement with the US which has delivered buggerall for either side as far as I can see.. Mainly I guess due to the US not building many RHD cars/trucks, and the cultural differences that reflect in our tastes in styling etc being so different. I think a few of our RHD Chryslers still come from Austria?
    Australia gets reamed a bit in the same way with Malaysia for one getting preferential tarif treatment on the Protons they send here, yet charging a kings ransom if we were to send Holdens up. Thailand and Aust have a FTA which allows thousounds of cars and trucks into Oz, and zero to near zero in trade the other way around. We must be a bit dumb I think..... no need to answer that, patrickbec.

For your pocket, even a reduced (if not zero) tarif would be nice...
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.
    [I]plus[I] U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6

Keep Holden On.

St George Illawarra, Mudgee Dragons

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

It's an FTA when it suits best and a closed market when it doesnt

Thanks
    My Ride
    RHD:09 CTS,07 SRX/ LHD:13 ATS

Redvee8- yes, one of the problems is that the US car industry is run by a bunch of provincial bozos who don't focus much on export opportunities, espcially to RHD counties. That's why you can't get a diesel Cadillac for love or money, and only two models in RHD. Even when they made an effort it was done in a cost-effective way- no big advertising campaigns, no sponsorships, no major investment in a sales channel etc.

One of the things I've noticed, insofar as Free Trade Agreements are concerned, is that the Angosphere (US, UK, Aust, NZ, Canada) doesn't seem to give two figs about promoting or protecting their maufacturing industries. Austalia and the US, for example, seem to negotiate their FTAs to protect and allow the easy access to other nation's of their intellectual property, banking, insurance and agricultural industries. The first three value no real value in the form of tradeables, and the last employs a tiny number of people. The middle class and blue collar workers who earn their income off manufacturing (directly or indirectly) get no protection or access to other markets.

The Anglosphere seems to think that bankers, lawyers and insurance salesmen are their economic crown jewels. As a lawyer, I can tell you that we are little other than parasistes who feed of the value created by engineers, manufacturing workers and miners who extract the materials goods are made from- certanly not groups you would base your future economic well being on!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbartley View Post
    China requires vehicles sold in China, be manufactured in China. There's some kind of minimum threshold? The same thing has been done with planes, trains, and automobiles.

Too bad we don't have those kind of trade barriers.
    I agree. It doesn't make sense. There is no legislation to keep jobs here in the US, or Canada.

Nowhere in the article did I see that production was moving to China. They just said they are readying production to start there. I don't think production is leaving Mexico in favor of China.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Nowhere in the article did I see that production was moving to China. They just said they are readying production to start there. I don't think production is leaving Mexico in favor of China.
    I wonder if this even refers to the SRX that we know today?

We know the SRX will move to a different platform for the next generation, perhaps this is what they are referring to? Somehow, it doesn't seem financially sound to set up new tooling for a vehicle that is already in its third model year of a 6 year cycle.

Or: Perhaps the current SRX will continue in China while the US and the rest of the world get the new one, what ever it will be?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silmarg View Post
    Its a crime that a Cadillac sold in the US needs to be built in Mexico. I could possibly understand a low price Chevy econobox... but a Caddy? C'Mon man!
    The Escalade EXT and ESV have always been built there. The Lincoln MKZ as well.

That is more of an outrage than the fact that GM will be building them in China for the Chinese market.
    Why? Decades ago, the US insisted that if the Japanese were to sell cars here they had to build them here. So, they started building plants here. There are many plants in the US owned by Honda, Toyota, and now Hyundai turning out cars in their millions.

The Germans too. Mercedes and BMW both have plants here. People in the US happily buy lots and lots of "German" cars built here in the US and people around the world don't care that they're made here.

That said, we should have similar tarriffs on good being imported from China as they do to our goods being exported there.
    In the best of all possible worlds, perhaps. But we owe the Chinese a lot of money and they wouldn't take to kindly to that.
    Last edited by megeebee; 08-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    No you are wrong. Other than the chicken tax on trucks, the US has very few barriers, certainly not high tariffs and import duties as you see in China and other countries, nor any requirement that foreign investors only have a certain percentage of shareholding in US companies they wish to acquire.
    Oh puuuuhh-lease!!!
    The US has tariffs and other protectionist measures left and right. You think the automobile industry is the sole industry in the US?

The US wine industry is protected. As are much of the agriculture.

Want to build a new plant in X State in the US? Fine. Then you need to do a couple things, like establish new infrastructure, and a whole host of other things.

To say the US doesn't have protection for its industries is simply wrong and short-sighted. God forbid some country hasn't reached "Most Favored Nation" status with the US. They'd never get their products in the door.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information