Cadillac Sales Have Dropped Since Moving To SoHo.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Sales Have Dropped Since Moving To SoHo.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,361 Posts

Cadillac Sales Have Dropped Since Moving To SoHo.

Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Cadillac Sales Have Dropped Since Moving To SoHo.

Can I just give Cadillac some advice? I mean I'm not a millennial nor a fancy pants South African or anything, however I am a Cadillac customer, (or was).

Invest in more expressive styling and drop an LT1 in everything. That will fix 80% of your problems.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (05-11-2017),ClassyEldo (05-11-2017),richmond2000 (05-11-2017)

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Can I just give Cadillac some advice? I mean I'm not a millennial nor a fancy pants South African or anything, however I am a Cadillac customer, (or was).

Invest in more expressive styling and drop an LT1 in everything. That will fix 80% of your problems.
    Ah, but what complicates things are global results. Globally, Cadillac has done better since moving to SoHo. But domestically it's gotten worse.
    GMI News Editor

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

a goal he expects to reach within 15 years — is “on track.”
    I think this is the key part forgotten on GMI, this is a long term game. Luxury images are not built up overnight.

Even if Cadillac builds the best product out there and advertising is strong, there will still be the name "Cadillac" that is not yet aspirational. That is the most difficult part Cadillac needs to achieve, it appears to be working in China where the brand is new with no preconceived notions. However, in the USA the brand name is in a much worse position than a brand no one has ever heard of, it is a brand that was turned into little more that a floating old man boat joke.

Some on GMI want Cadillac to sell on value or jam a V8 in and sell it for cheap (still value), etc.. That is not the way to build a luxury brand. Value does not equal luxury. Luxury is about anything but value, you want value, buy a Chevy.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

American007 (05-10-2017),bronco5280 (05-11-2017),Cobaltss_King (05-10-2017),Curtnik (05-10-2017),ekseubert (05-11-2017),emh (05-10-2017),Evo69 (05-10-2017),glssmann1 (05-11-2017),impala02 (05-10-2017),JimmyDiablo (05-13-2017),Michael Accardi (05-10-2017),SomeOne (05-17-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 775 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I think the only place Cadillac falls short on styling is in the rear ends, those are dull in the car lineup, the LT1 solution however should be a no brainer, as long as it is DOHC

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

bronx13 (05-11-2017),Curtnik (05-10-2017),Evo69 (05-10-2017),NeverEnough (05-10-2017),Ute (05-10-2017)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 1,075 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Crossovers. Crossovers will fix their problems.

And at this point, we might as well make CTS available as a V-sport or V-series model only. Considering XTS is $400 cheaper, there's no point in buying a base CTS for the vast majority of consumers, especially if you don't care about driving dynamics.
    Hidden Content
    Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-10-2017),Cobaltss_King (05-10-2017),Evo69 (05-10-2017),Michael Accardi (05-10-2017),ryannel2003 (05-10-2017),sfbreh (05-10-2017),Ute (05-10-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Crossovers. Crossovers will fix their problems.

And at this point, we might as well make CTS available as a V-sport or V-series model only. Considering XTS is $400 cheaper, there's no point in buying a base CTS for the vast majority of consumers, especially if you don't care about driving dynamics.
    I agree. We are far beyond crossovers just being a 'fad'. People want a higher seating position (or whatever else they get in a crossover) over traditional 'car' styling and a lower center of gravity.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC American007's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep WJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I think this is the key part forgotten on GMI, this is a long term game. Luxury images are not built up overnight.

Even if Cadillac builds the best product out there and advertising is strong, there will still be the name "Cadillac" that is not yet aspirational. That is the most difficult part Cadillac needs to achieve, it appears to be working in China where the brand is new with no preconceived notions. However, in the USA the brand name is in a much worse position than a brand no one has ever heard of, it is a brand that was turned into little more that a floating old man boat joke.

Some on GMI want Cadillac to sell on value or jam a V8 in and sell it for cheap (still value), etc.. That is not the way to build a luxury brand. Value does not equal luxury. Luxury is about anything but value, you want value, buy a Chevy.
    This is very true. It took years to let Cadillac deteriorate from the epitome of high-end luxury cars. Years of cost cutting and no foresight. It will take even longer to reverse the opinion of uncool, *cheap*, "not quite there".

I am okay with sales slipping a bit. In fact production should drop too. Supply needs to drop to just below demand. Granted the product must have that certain got to have it factor. Although I have to admit I agree with the elitist comments that a Cadillac should not be in every driveway even thought that driveway is probably not mine. Which then circles back to my argument.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to American007 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-10-2017),bronco5280 (05-11-2017),ekseubert (05-11-2017),mgescuro (05-11-2017),SomeOne (05-17-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    Ah, but what complicates things are global results. Globally, Cadillac has done better since moving to SoHo. But domestically it's gotten worse.

I'd really like to know what Cadillac's profit margin is in China. A lot, a little, any at all?

The US is Cadillac's core business. Any company which doesn't put it's core business first and foremost is going down a slippery slope.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-12-2017),Extreme4x4 (05-11-2017),Michael Accardi (05-10-2017)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,574 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I'd really like to know what Cadillac's profit margin is in China. A lot, a little, any at all?

The US is Cadillac's core business. Any company which doesn't put it's core business first and foremost is going down a slippery slope.
    Yet, cars in China are still very much in. In the US, it's dead man walking.

Use China to make money on the investment in cars while getting the US caught up on CUVs/SUVs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Michael Accardi (05-10-2017)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I think the only place Cadillac falls short on styling is in the rear ends, those are dull in the car lineup, the LT1 solution however should be a no brainer, as long as it is DOHC
    I agree. It's the rear styling, maybe a tad bit more on the sides.

And either drop the price or start mass producing more V8's and keep the price the same.

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 696 Posts

But arguably, the US is no longer Cadillac's CORE business.

I'm starting to cynically view NA ops for Buick and Cadillac as simply marketing expenses. The Chinese won't buy them unless they think we do too...
    GMI News Editor

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 1,487 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

have prices increased?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Yet, cars in China are still very much in. In the US, it's dead man walking.

Use China to make money on the investment in cars while getting the US caught up on CUVs/SUVs.
    I'm not opposed to that, but cash earned in China is partnered with state owned Shanghai Motors. Off the top of my head, are they 50-50 partners? So does that mean the Chicoms keep 50% of the profit? I just don't know what they're arrangement is - anyone want to chime in? Anyhoo, Shanghai gets something from those revenues. In North America, GM keeps 100%.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    But arguably, the US is no longer Cadillac's CORE business.

I'm starting to cynically view NA ops for Buick and Cadillac as simply marketing expenses. The Chinese won't buy them unless they think we do too...
    Precisely!!!

If Americans stop buying Buicks and Cadillacs, the Chinese will stop as well. They buy them because of a perceived brand equity in the US market.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information