Cadillacís Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillacís Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 813 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Cadillacís Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale

Cadillac’s Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale
    Car and Driver
    Jens Meiners
    May 10, 2017

Cadillac’s diesel program, which we’ve been reporting on for the last couple of years, remains firmly on track, Car and Driver has recently learned. The luxury and performance brand has been working on four- and six-cylinder diesel engines for several upcoming models, but the sale of General Motors’ European subsidiary Opel to the French PSA conglomerate, itself a maker of diesel engines, had cast doubt on Cadillac’s future plans. That’s because the new engines were supposed to be shared with future Opel models, and developing diesel engines solely for Cadillac would be far too costly.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (05-10-2017),dslay04 (05-10-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks

Re: Cadillacís Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale

And this while putting the V8 on the back burner?

Where exactly do they plan to sell these diesels? The US doesn't care. I doubt diesels are big in pollution-heavy China. It's clear GM is not serious about Europe in the near term.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (05-11-2017),Carbide (05-17-2017),Chassis Guy (05-12-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post

Where exactly do they plan to sell these diesels? The US doesn't care. I doubt diesels are big in pollution-heavy China. It's clear GM is not serious about Europe in the near term.
    I would LOOK to MB/BMW oilers for a guide as to the Diesel market (do NOT know the numbers)
    I wonder if the Silverado would be a recipient of the DIESEL V6

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Ute
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I would LOOK to MB/BMW oilers for a guide as to the Diesel market (do NOT know the numbers)
    I wonder if the Silverado would be a recipient of the DIESEL V6
    Escalade, XT6/XT7 and, probably, CT5/CT6.
    Hidden Content

Current car: Subaru Outback 3.0R 2008 MY

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ute For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (05-10-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

So concentrate on other markets (diesel) before your home market (4.2 TT V8)??? Okay... *rolls eyes*
    RedSkyBlackDreamô

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet Malibu/2016/Pearl

We can speculate about China, but we do not have to speculate about the prospects of diesel cars elsewhere. Their prospects are not good. The mayors of Paris, Madrid, Athens, and Mexico City want diesel gone by 2025. Elżbieta Bieńkowska, the EU's Commissioner for Internal Markets, says that diesels will disappear sooner than expected.

It is not just a few of the World's major cities and it is not just diesel. Norway wants to ban petroleum-powered cars--whether they run on gasoline or diesel--by 2025. Germany wants them gone by 2030. Belgium, Switzerland, and the Netherlands are considering similar bans.

Luxury cars are strongly image dependent. The image of diesel is bad, was made worse by the Volkswagen fiasco, and will only go downhill as Europe's luxury car makers abandon petroleum and switch to electricity. Cadillac may offer diesel in a few limited markets. However, diesel appeals to precisely a target audience that is diametrically opposed to the audience that Cadillac wants to attract.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMe For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,737 Posts

The V8 is coming, how about why are you pursuing diesels for sales on a continent where ICE as a whole is losing favor by day at the expense of forgoing a flagship sedan?

How many places in Europe are talking about banning ICE at some point over the next 10-15 years? By that point, how much better and more WIDELY APPLICABLE will electrics be?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    So concentrate on other markets (diesel) before your home market (4.2 TT V8)??? Okay... *rolls eyes*
    In all fairness, who said diesels were coming first?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
    We can speculate about China, but we do not have to speculate about the prospects of diesel cars elsewhere. Their prospects are not good. The mayors of Paris, Madrid, Athens, and Mexico City want diesel gone by 2025. Elżbieta Bieńkowska, the EU's Commissioner for Internal Markets, says that diesels will disappear sooner than expected.

It is not just a few of the World's major cities and it is not just diesel. Norway wants to ban petroleum-powered cars--whether they run on gasoline or diesel--by 2025. Germany wants them gone by 2030. Belgium, Switzerland, and the Netherlands are considering similar bans.

Luxury cars are strongly image dependent. The image of diesel is bad, was made worse by the Volkswagen fiasco, and will only go downhill as Europe's luxury car makers abandon petroleum and switch to electricity. Cadillac may offer diesel in a few limited markets. However, diesel appeals to precisely a target audience that is diametrically opposed to the audience that Cadillac wants to attract.
    Exactly this.

Why bother with diesels at this point? You'll get more credit and put yourself in a better position by pursuing electrification with extreme prejudice.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC American007's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep WJ

I suppose Gm has sunk too much money into the diesel program to not have it bear fruit. Unfortunately, the diesel debacle caused by VW (I dislike anything with "gate" attached to the end of it) has reduced the demand for those engines.

I just hope electrification is going to be the primary technological driver for motivation. We are reaching a point where range has been increased to levels deemed acceptable by everyday drivers, as well as refuel/recharge times. This is what is chic now and that is what Cadillac wants to be.

emh
    Thanks

Exactly. Of all the things Cadillac could be doing, new diesels should be near the very bottom of the list.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 eaton53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,019 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Put it in something smaller.
    The wife will probably want it.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

The CT6 Hybrid should be your only focus. GM have some of the best tech on the market and should be leveraging that into all of their products. This will, as a result, lower the price of the volttec which will allow it to go into even more cars.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 maxaccel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Cadillac’s Diesel Program Is Moving Forward, Unaffected by Opel Sale
    Car and Driver
    Jens Meiners
    May 10, 2017

*Full Article at Link
    Stupid move,,I doubt anyone rich enough to buy a Caddy would be concerned about saving few gallons of fuel going with diesel engine..
    I see Cadillac going the way of Oldsmobile if they dont get their s***t together soon..
    2008 Silverado long box,2wd ,cool white ,4.8 v8, air,locker,..120.000k

19. The Following User Says Thank You to maxaccel For This Useful Post:

Carbide (05-17-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 979 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Of all the things Cadillac is in need of and should be doing this ought to be sort of low on the list right now.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

with CADDY NOT in those markets and has had NO talk of Europe seriously I doubt the "DIESEL push" is after Europe but do NOT know where BMW/MB sell diesels in NUMBERS OUTSIDE of Europe

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 1,487 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

They are called, eco diesels

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information