GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac to Replace 2015 Escalade's Dashboard Cover After Running Into Airbag Trouble

10K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  b4z 
#1 ·
Cadillac to Replace 2015 Escalade's Dashboard Cover After Running Into Airbag Troubles.
Carscoops
By: John Halas
November 24, 2014

GM issued a recall covering 1,022 units of its 2015 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV SUVs in the States, after discovering a problem with the passenger airbag.

The issue at hand is the passenger side instrument panel top cover, which GM says may have been "manufactured using an incorrect spacer fabric, causing a reduction of adhesion between the spacer fabric and the vinyl show surface". This could result in inconsistent passenger air bag deployment.

As is always the case with these type of recalls, GM dealers will replace the instrument panel top cover, free of charge. However, the automaker has yet to provide a notification schedule for the recall.

If you own one of the affected SUVs and want to know more, you can contact Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006.

See less See more
#6 ·
Could they replace the a few other components while they are at I? I don't think I need to name them........ :)

#10 · (Edited)
Maybe they could hook up an old fashioned vacuum tube radio to a Meridian speaker while they are inside the console and an old-timey floor mounted high beam switch.

This sucks that the Escalade has these issues but they are being proactive at least. Hopefully the '16 model year will go a little smoother.

#13 ·
The real face palm is the US GM version of prestige dash design - is just tacky...
Please go visit the rest of the world for some high class design look and feel ... or Americans like tacky and it sells ?
Weird.
Recall happens to all, but yes these new sandwich console trim designs GM ought to be doing a bit better with it's tier 1 suppliers who should assist them more.

#14 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Temporary Decal being sent out to Dealers as we speak:

PASSENGER HEAD GEAR REQUIRED:

--------------------

Only 1,000 units, thinking of the plants production volume and mix (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade) this is a very short period of time, like a week or two tops.

#19 ·
From the many comments about Cadillac quality or lack of it , from GM supporters here , it highlites how parts quality and installation are still problem areas with GM . Frankly one might say that parts maturity never gets a chance to develop over the years of product upgrading that does happen in other manufacturers products . Cadillac appears to change its models so often , and assembly lines can make one model or several such that highly trained employees are necessary and must be on their toes continually to ensure the exact placement of parts and accessories . First year blues are a fact of life with probably most manufacturers , and GM , because of the huge quantity of models offered by several divisions within , that problem areas , like the shifter mentioned here several times , will take years perhaps to ever get remedied , if at all . What is more certain , is that these problems will get addressed by new future models . This same kind of decision making hasn't really changed at GM , has it ? The previous generation of GM pickups had problems that never got addressed through the life of that product . It took 4 to 5 years to see the next gen replace/modify them . I think Ford basically became number one in customer satisfaction and sales here , by yearly mods and upgrades plus attention to customer complaints . I read about Ford getting complaints about their turbo chargers overheating components about a year or two ago. This is an area that I felt would happen , aha , their turbos are not what they are cracked up to be . My surprise when I caught an article about three weeks later that Ford would retrofit a shroud to protect the components , in the interim . Slam dunk , problem solved , case closed ! How GM and Cadillac will ever get to be famous/respected for quality appears to be an impossibility with the continual onslaught of new or revised models hitting the marketplace . For Cadillac , quality of parts and assembly has not kept up with designs , in my opinion , and it is doubtful they ever will get all the eggs in one basket , Leiblein is doing her best to get parts suppliers on board , but how do you change the mentality at GM , its management and staff , to recognize that customer satisfaction is the biggest single most important foundation to such a competitive business ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.