GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac Issues Stop Sale on ATS to Recall 82,000+ Units

7K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  spd98 
#1 ·
Cadillac issues stop sale on ATS to recall 82k units.
Autoblog
July 29, 2015
By: Chris Bruce

Cadillac is issuing a recall on 82,620 examples of the 2013-2016 ATS worldwide to fix a compliance issue with the sunroof controls. Until a service bulletin goes out to take care of things, there's also a stop sale on the luxury compact in the United States, The Detroit News reports. Of the affected models, 63,665 are in the US, according to a statement sent to Autoblog, and 7,922 of them are in Canada.

The problem is actually the same issue as a recall on nearly 59,000 examples of the 2013-2015 ATS in the US in February. In them, the controls for the tilt and slide of the roof aren't recessed enough to meet government standards for the force necessary to operate the buttons. The Feds believe that someone could accidentally activate the auto-close and potentially be at risk. At the time, Cadillac dealers installed a new trim plate to add the needed clearance.

In the latest update, the company is adding the 2016 model year, and according to The Detroit News, 70 percent of the cars from the original campaign also need another new trim plate. Unsurprisingly for such a minor defect, there are no known crashes, injuries, fatalities, or customer complaints related to this issue, according to the announcement by General Motors.

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
The federales have everyone JuMPY. Makers can't sneeze without some safety nazi who wants some TV time boring a hole in their skull and dropping in a chip or GPS sensor.

OTOH, this should make MG somewhat happier/less displeased that he never bought an ELR, because they don't HAVE snoofs.

There is always a bright side. :cool:

#44 ·
The ONLY things about the ATS interior that need to be fixed are putting physical buttons on the center stack, and re-designing the instrument panel cluster (preferably adding the 8" LCD from the up-level XTS, as it should have been all along).

#19 ·
I am thinking this will lead to an industry standardization of moonroof switches, much the same as we now have standardized power window switches on all manufacturers and makes and models.

The "safe" moonroof switch is a "push and slide", by where the button is recessed, and to tilt the moonroof you push the button in, and to open or close it you slide the button forward or backward. The switches that appear to be on the ATS are tab switches, which can be easier to engage.

I am not saying I agree with it...... I think our elected officials have far too much spare time on their hands if they spend hours typing up regulations on switch components on passenger cars. But the slide switch is a safer design, even if there should be 0 chance of anyone hurting themselves in a moonroof, as I think they all have auto reverse now, don't they?

#41 ·
Hey if you want to take over the payments, it's yours. I'll even cover the Ally fee to change the lease over to you. ;)

$489 per month for about another 15 months or so, and you can drive it 17,000 miles in said time until you hit the 45,000 mile limit for the lease..

You'll get your MKC sooner than you think!
New C Class Coupe for me and a MKC or MKX Black Label for my lady.

The perfect household. :D

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Do you think they will fix this like they fixed the Astra when they brought it over? Rather than adjust or replace the auto reverse sensors on the sunroof and windows, they just disabled the automatic close in the computer and it can't be reactivated. So I can express open all the windows from my keyfob, but can't close them. I have express down for all the windows, but not express up, and the sunroof and shade auto open completely with one button push, but I have to hold the button to close them (and it's a huge sunroof, so it takes some time).

#45 ·
I always wondered if this is why final year DTSs had clear plastic elevated trim around the sunroof switches while mine didn't. Does anyone now if the ATS sunroof closes automatically or if you have to hold the button? In my car it opens automatically, but the button must be held to close, reducing chance of injury.

#47 ·
The stop sell order shouldn't come here but with Cadillac putting a crappy little hard working 4 banger into a Cadillac , a Cadillac sports sedan , GM's prestige marque division . If I'm not mistaken , this is not a Cadillac designed engine ? If it was , I would have fired the people involved yesterday . My god how do you raise the bar , the name brand with this as a base engine ? This vehicle needs minimum , a 2.7L V6 twin scroll turbo charged Cadillac designed engine , as base ! The engine will not work as hard and enhanced smooth performance will make the ATS be worthy of the name Cadillac .

#48 ·
Fr

BMW has an N/A 4 cylinder in the base 3 series. The difference is BMW knows how to engineer small engines to have a little oomph. GM still has no clue how to do 4 cylinder motors.

Heck, Honda had a 200 hp 4 cylinder in an affordable mass produced car in the Prelude in 1998.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.