GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac introduces 3.6L V-6 and 8-speed tranny for 2016 ATS, CTS

18K views 226 replies 50 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 · (Edited)
New Technologies Boost Efficiency for 2016
Cylinder deactivation and Start/Stop systems begin production on ATS and CTS product lines.
Cadillac
October 9, 2015

Cadillac's all-new six cylinder engine contains Active Fuel Management, or cylinder deactivation, technology enabling it to seamlessly switch from six-cylinder to four-cylinder operation under certain light-load conditions, while maintaining excellent performance. The new 3.6-liter engine is part of the 2016 ATS and CTS product lines. Additionally, the Cadillac Escalade luxury SUV's V8 will shift to four-cylinder operation in many daily driving conditions, as will Cadillac's all-new high performance CTS-V sedan.
Cadillac's new 8-speed transmission nets another efficiency gain, and like the new V6 engine, just started production in the 2016 ATS and CTS.

"While these new systems increase efficiency, a main focus in engineering at Cadillac is to integrate these systems smoothly with no compromise to the driving experience," says David Leone, Cadillac executive chief engineer. "Our new 8-speed transmission was developed internally for fast and smooth shifting in every situation with Cylinder Deactivation and Start/Stop are integrated in a more seamless manner than our competitors."
ATS - 3.6L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201518/28
201620/30

CTS - 3.6L
(8-speed, no change)
201518/29
201620/30

ATS - AWD 3.6L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201518/26
201619/28

CTS - AWD 3.6L
(8-speed, no change)
201518/26
201619/28

Source: GM Press Release

Source: Fuel Economy Ratings

Read more about Cadillac's 2016 updates at the above link and at AutoGuide.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: New 3.6L V6 for 2016 Cadillac ATS, CTS

Not to be excluded, the 2.0 turbo also gets Start-Stop. All automatics now use the 8-speed auto, including the 2.5L base four and the 2.0 turbo. Manuals are still 6-speeds, like the coming Alpha Camaro. As forecast earlier, the Start-Stop systems will be utilizing supercapacitors for power storage instead of large batteries. (Same source below. I don't know why the highway mileage fell on the 2.5L ATS. It could be a misprint, as sometimes happens on that site, or it could be down to a difference in tuning.)

ATS - 2.5L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201521/33
201622/32

ATS - 2.0L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201521/30
201622/31

CTS - 2.0L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201520/30
201621/31

ATS - AWD 2.0L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201520/28
201622/30

CTS - AWD 2.0L
(6-speed > 8-speed)
201519/28
201621/29

#5 ·

ok how much power is it putting out? Because the 300 and Charger Currently getting 31mpg hwy. the P-Star and new 8 Speed upgrade is coming soon. i expected the CTS to get more mileage than that.
Are they printing 31 mpg and not hitting that in the real world? I know GM's EPA numbers are realistic, I don't follow Chrysler, so I'm not sure. Though I am happy with the mpg's on my wife's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

#4 ·

According to Autoblog: "The new engine produces 335 horsepower and 284 pound-feet of torque. That's a modest improvement over the 321 hp and 275 lb-ft mustered by the unit it replaces."

300 and Charger already have the 8-speed in use on their V6s, and are rated at 19/31 RWD and 18/27 AWD with 292hp and 260 lb-ft torque (300hp and 264 torque on 300S). Using the CTS for comparison, that's +43hp, +24 lb-ft torque, and +1city/-1hwy RWD (a tie), and +1city/+1hwy AWD (advantage Cadillac).

#8 ·

I hope GM spent the time developing a robust air conditioning system to be paired with the start-stop feature. That's critical especially for Cadillac.
Even in the Malibu with start-stop the AC works seamless even when the car comes to rest. I can't imagine it going backwards 2 years after it was introduced in the Chevy when transitioning to the new more advanced Caddys

#9 ·

One (of many) things GM has always done well and that is air conditioning. I have no doubts that GM has thought through sitting though long stoplights in really hot locations. Don't they test in Death Valley, etc?

#38 ·

One (of many) things GM has always done well and that is air conditioning. I have no doubts that GM has thought through sitting though long stoplights in really hot locations. Don't they test in Death Valley, etc?
We had a Malibu 2.5L with start/stop as a loaner while the Cruze Diesel was being fixed, and the backup electric system for start/stop was not capable of running the AC load for the 45 second red light cycles on 95 degree days in Florida in June. The engine would come back on after about 30 seconds to keep the AC humming. No issues with the coolness of the AC in either mode.

#13 ·

The LGX sounds really good in the 2016 Camaro, I wonder if that engine will retain its exhaust note in the ATS.....

When will they offer the 3.6L engine with manual transmission? I think that will help out the ATS to have both the 2.5L and 3.6L offered with a manual transmission.

#59 ·

My local dealer has had a couple 2016 CTS models in for about two weeks. I drove a 2.0T/8spd model last weekend (No 2016 3.6 on the lot). The new combo is as smooth as I remember the previous combo being, perhaps a little smoother. But it was a relatively short drive. The start/stop was hardly noticeable, much like the last Malibu I had driven (my cousin's wife's car) with that feature. My father was looking at the CTS, that's why I was there. But it seems he just wasn't able to get comfortable in the seat. He looked at the XTS as well, which he liked, but would rather pay less for a LaCrosse that has every feature he wants +... So it looks like there's a Buick in his future. He likes the Impala as well, but he likes the Buick a little bit more.

When will they offer the 3.6L engine with manual transmission? I think that will help out the ATS to have both the 2.5L and 3.6L offered with a manual transmission.
Probably never... The 2.0T will probably be the only non-V Series ATS to receive the option for a manual tranny. Cadillac dealerships simply aren't fond of ordering manually equipped cars as it is, and I cannot see GM paying for the certification just to pick up a few more sales... Not unless they can piggyback off the Camaro's certification.

I wonder if the ATS got any other changes, like a new instrument pack?
The ATS V on the Cadillac website is noted as a 2016 model and it has the current IP design.
No new instrument pack... I don't like the instrument display either, but I wouldn't expect a new one until the ATS migrates to its CT designation... The local dealer also had their first ATS-V Coupe (Black/Automatic; Sold, could not drive it); The instruments were the same...

#16 ·

The LGX has no business in a Cadillac. It may be the finest mid-three liter NA V6 out there, but that will never compare with a blown German six.
A blown engine for those who do not know this term means supercharged engine.....

You do not have many supercharged German engines now days however you do have plenty of turbocharged German engines...... . One issue here is for those who do not want a supercharged or turbocharged engines they are just suppose to be out of luck?. Sure this engine is at a torque disadvantage with the BMW 3.0L I-6 turbocharged engine however it is lighter and more compact (less weight over the front wheels). Not to mention that especially with some of the applications BMW has used there are some reliability issues with their turbocharged motors..... they do not deal with heat as well as they should.

#20 ·

I wonder if the ATS got any other changes, like a new instrument pack?
Don't think so.

The ATS V on the Cadillac website is noted as a 2016 model and it has the current IP design.

#24 ·
Increasing the fuel economy by roughly 7% and reducing co2 output by 6% is rather significant. Start-stop and AFM are a perfect combination of cost effective technologies. Cylinder deactivation will be a trend that other manufactures will adopt into their engine families. The biggest surprise is GM's choice to use a supercapacitor rather than a battery for energy storage. What does that decision say about the state of battery innovation? It's emerging technologies like these that are killing the value proposition of EV and full hybrid cars. The rapid advancement of the ICE is assuring that the EV and hybrid market will remain niche.

#26 ·
A/C in our Malibu works just fine........the air never gets 'warm'. At a certain point (typically as the air becomes 'less cool') the motor restarts. How fast the air becomes less cool is a function of the outside air temp. Reverse it also true in the winter.

Setting the AC to comfort mode (amber light instead of green) skews the start/stop logic toward comfort rather than economy to the point it rarely shuts off. Also, we've become adept at going lightly on the brake pedal approaching a stop. the car can easily come to a full stop using insufficient pressure to initiate start/stop. Often, I can then activate stop/start by fully depressing the brake pedal after the car comes to a complete stop.

It is a pretty slick system with good trade off between economy and comfort.

#29 ·
Cool now that we've gotten pass all the air-conditioned talk in the Malibu how about we talk about the sweet new 3.6 liter LGX going into a while host of other vehicles? Now GM give your vehicles mid2 engine like a detuned LF3 with 380-390hp and awaaaaaaaay we go

#43 · (Edited)
Its a ''Cadillac'' perhaps?
The good news: 2016 Cadillac ATS 3.6 gets the more powerful, more efficient, and more refined LGX engine paired with GM's 8-speed automatic tranny, and there's no increase in MSRP compared to the 2015 ATS 3.6 with the LFX engine and 6-speed auto (for 'Luxury' trim level).

The bad news (for Cadillac): 2016 BMW 340i thoroughly trounces ATS 3.6 in the powertrain department. The amazing B58 inline six can be had with either the ZF 8HP automatic or 6-speed manual transmission. Also, BMW made the 'Sport Line' feature set standard on 340i. A 2016 340i is actually priced lower than a comparably equipped 2015 335i.

Now if Cadillac put the BMW B58 engine and ZF automatic and manual transmissions in the ATS, that would rock. :tup::
how do you know this? Not, that I doubt what you are saying could be factual, I just need more info on why?

I have driven the Cadillac 8 speed, I would be shocked if there is a superior 8 speed out there. Its mind boggling in how fast it shifts and how insanely smooth it is... Its virtually seemless and stupid fast.. its just blip... and you are gone...

#35 ·
Meh, I'm not impressed. It'll still be far slower than its main rivals (340i, C400, etc.), be less efficient, and be less refined. The 3.6L is a great motor for something like a Camaro or Impala, but for a Cadillac? Nah. They need something better and more exclusive. Bring on the 3.0TT.

That said, the 3.6L is the engine to get in the ATS if you're dead set on one. It feels, drives, and sounds much better than the 2.0T IMHO.

#37 ·
The good news: 2016 Cadillac ATS 3.6 gets the more powerful, more efficient, and more refined LGX engine paired with GM's 8-speed automatic tranny, and there's no increase in MSRP compared to the 2015 ATS 3.6 with the LFX engine and 6-speed auto (for 'Luxury' trim level).

The bad news (for Cadillac): 2016 BMW 340i thoroughly trounces ATS 3.6 in the powertrain department. The amazing B58 inline six can be had with either the ZF 8HP automatic or 6-speed manual transmission. Also, BMW made the 'Sport Line' feature set standard on 340i. A 2016 340i is actually priced lower than a comparably equipped 2015 335i.

Now if Cadillac put the BMW B58 engine and ZF automatic and manual transmissions in the ATS, that would rock. :tup::

#36 ·
The '16 model enhancements are attractive buys for the ATS and CTS. I'm going to wait for few to several years when they come off lease and try to buy as certified pre-owned or pre-owned for the 3.6 NA ATS sedan/coupe or CTS Luxury model. I would not have a problem with a 2.0 turbo but I want a V6 this time.

#39 ·
Hey John what I think you should do is, unlike some people who post negative comments about the 3.6 liter before they even drive it.... is go out and test one and see how you like it

#41 ·
...go out and test one and see how you like it
Yes indeed! 2016 ATS models with LGX engine are starting to trickle in at dealerships. Here's one that just arrived recently at Morrie's Cadillac outside Minneapolis:

#52 ·
Cause U've driven an LGX equipped vehicle already? Do tell

A BLANKET POST... The commentaries by certain posters, not exclusive to the one I quoted above, on how the 3.6L LGX is compared to the BMW I6 is absolutely BS until its at least been driven. I can't even believe that anyone is sitting here debating the superiority or inferiority of an engine that hasn't even been test by one person on this forum, let alone the automotive press just because one disgruntled poster says its going to be one way or another.

Reactions: SKH and DirtyMoney
#51 ·
The 2.5L and the LFX don't belong in Cadillacs. Period.

LGX will be better, but not sure its enough (I doubt it will be). The 3.0TT Can't get hear soon enough. 2.0T needs an upgrade as well.

Reactions: roy219
#55 ·
The LGX isn't the LFX....... these are two different engines with the LGX being a ground up design......

I don't think I would call the LFX a gutless engine.... it doesn't have the broad torque curve as the N55 engine (that is obvious) as it is a N/A engine.

this really isn't a question of if this engine sucks or if this engine should be in a Cadillac or not..... it is more an argument to have an option for another engine above it maybe a 400BHP 3.0TT engine to slot above the 3.6 335BHP and below the 3.6TT 464BHP engine.

honestly even if there was a 400BHP TT V-6 in the ATS I would probably opt for the LGX over it....

#56 ·
There is inherent advantage in smoothness to an Inline 6 vs a V motor, Like the old Lexus inline 6 vs. their new V6., the problem is with packaging. The Cadillac motor sits totally behind the axle and its really small lengthwise.

Perhaps there is something to be said for the new upgrades. I am skeptical of arguments like 'we have not driven it but the BMW is obviously a standard Cadillac can never meet by ryannel2003 is totally unreasonable.

#68 ·
The 3.6L's rear wheel dyno numbers and v6 harmonic characteristics are not the main culprits to Cadillac's tier 2 status in the luxury market. Cadillac should focus on improving engine efficiency and leave engine performance to the V-Series cars. Once Cadillac becomes tier 1 after solving the major branding and brand recognition issues, then Cadillac can nitpick on engine smoothness and other variables.

#69 ·
Look, it is ok for Cadillac to offer more then 4 engines in a vehicle in my honest opinion and it is ok to have some market exclusive engines to the US market. I do think that overall normally aspirated engines are better suited for the US market certainly some of the people that I know who own a N54 powered BMW will likely buy a normally aspirated engine next (after spending thousands of dollars to keep the car running out of warranty).

However if you look at the BMW 3 series in the UK market you have a much greater choice of engines then just four for that model.

318 136PS
320 184PS
330 252PS
340 326PS
316D 116PS
318D 150PS
320D 163PS
320D 190PS
330D 258PS
335D 313PS

You also have a hybrid model based on the 330 gasoline engine and this doesn't include the M variant of the 3 series.....

So yes I do think that there is a market for a 200BHP ATS, as well as a 275BHP ATS and a 335BHP ATS. There is also probably a market in the US for a 350BHP ATS (lets say 3.0T engine which could also be used in markets with displacement taxes). However going based on the 3 series in the UK there is also a market for a 150BHP ATS as well.... though I don't think too many people on this forum will be in a rush to claim that Cadillac does need it. Really the two maybe 3 additional engines that the ATS needs is a 350BHP 3.0T engine and probably two diesel engines (maybe even 3 choice 150/250/300BHP versions).

So to the question of does the LGX engine belong in an ATS (well the answer depends on how its NVH measures up) I would say yes certainly. Does the ATS and CTS need diesel engines as well as a 3.0L engine that produces around 350BHP and similar torque? yes they do. It isn't really a question of either it gets the 3.6L or the 3.0T engine as there is certainly room for both.

I honestly do not expect anything dramatic to be done to either the CTS or ATS until the new model comes out with the CT name designation. If JDN wasn't happy with the future plans for those models he most likely ordered them to cancel some changes and put their efforts into the newer models coming out in probably 2-3 years from now. I bet that he was super happy to see the 3.0TT 400/400 engine when he got to Cadillac as that is probably an engine that we will see continue into the future of Cadillac (as is the LGX engine if only in the US market).

#70 ·
The highly praised 3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder, 24-valve, Combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection to produce a measly 320-hp and 331.90297 Foot-Pound (ft∙lb) yours for $45,800.00 green american money. Premium Gasoline 26 Combined, 22 City, 33 Highway and basically not so much less gasoline cost per mile.

Year, Granted its got more torques but it sacrifices horses and brings in the complications of German engineered turbos. Being inline 6, its probably very very smooth, however, I do not know if its worthy of base CTS money which is a superior sports Sedan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.