Cadillac Flagship Sedan Approved

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Flagship Sedan Approved

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will Cadillac get a proper flagship someday?
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 12, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Several months ago media outlets began reporting that General Motors was in the process of developing a rear-wheel drive Cadillac flagship sedan off of a new platform. At the time, GMI reported that the program did exist, but had not been given the full green light. That, however, has since changed.

According to sources familiar with GM product planning, the company fully approved the development of the Cadillac flagship sedan within the last couple of weeks. The program was supposedly working off of a goodwill commitment from the GM board of directors until the final approval recently became a reality.

The ultra Cadillac sedan will indeed ride on a new rear wheel drive program, which is reportedly referred to as Omega internally. Expect the new platform to feature extensive use of lightweight materials, including aluminum. Contrary to prior reports, GM North America has the lead development role on the new Cadillac, not GM China.

Omega is expected to be a spin-off of the Zeta architecture.

GMI has received mixed signals from sources regarding when the new Cadillac will launch. Sources have stated anywhere between 2015 and 2017, which could suggest the car will replace the upcoming Cadillac XTS, which has been strongly suggested as a stop-gap product until the “proper” flagship is ready. In fact, GMI has been told several times that new GM management is not fond of the XTS.

It is too early to determine the specifics of the car, though sources have stated that the car will likely make use of GM’s upcoming Generation V Small Block V-8. A full hybrid model is also under consideration.

What remains to be seen is if Omega turns into another Zeta-like saga of on-again, off-again program changes that never see production. We’re hoping that does not turn out to be the case.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Cadillac Flagship Sedan Approved

Fantastic news! It is about time!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

I'm a little worried when it says GM exects are not fond of the XTS. Does this mean they know it will be a failure and it's still in prototype phase?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Should make a lot of folks happy.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn99 View Post
    I'm a little worried when it says GM exects are not fond of the XTS. Does this mean they know it will be a failure and it's still in prototype phase?
    I think it means that they would not have opted to produce the car versus the originally planned RWD flagship.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Nice!
    The Buick Owners Group
    Lincoln / Cars Connected / Pontiac / Genesis / GMC / Chevrolet

2014 BMW X5, 2010 Weistec/Renntech E63 AMG (800hp on 93 octane), 1999 Mazda 626 (visitor beater)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm guessing they realize it will not be the "World Standard" Cadillacs are meant to be. Our hope is that it is a short lived product with the rear wheel drive replacement coming soon.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Aura XE 3.5 2008

Excellent news for Cadillac. The new platform thing scares me a bit. Costs will be high.
    2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 - Still one GM's best looking designs
    Other Family Vehicles:
    Ford F-150, Ford Edge, Chevy Cruze, VW Jetta

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Will Cadillac get a proper flagship someday?
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 12, 2011
    By: Nick Saporito

Several months ago media outlets began reporting that General Motors was in the process of developing a rear-wheel drive Cadillac flagship sedan off of a new platform. At the time, GMI reported that the program did exist, but had not been given the full green light. That, however, has since changed.

According to sources familiar with GM product planning, the company fully approved the development of the Cadillac flagship sedan within the last couple of weeks. The program was supposedly working off of a goodwill commitment from the GM board of directors until the final approval recently became a reality.

The ultra Cadillac sedan will indeed ride on a new rear wheel drive program, which is reportedly referred to as Omega internally. Expect the new platform to feature extensive use of lightweight materials, including aluminum. Contrary to prior reports, GM North America has the lead development role on the new Cadillac, not GM China.

Omega is expected to be a spin-off of the Zeta architecture.

GMI has received mixed signals from sources regarding when the new Cadillac will launch. Sources have stated anywhere between 2015 and 2017, which could suggest the car will replace the upcoming Cadillac XTS, which has been strongly suggested as a stop-gap product until the “proper” flagship is ready. In fact, GMI has been told several times that new GM management is not fond of the XTS.

It is too early to determine the specifics of the car, though sources have stated that the car will likely make use of GM’s upcoming Generation V Small Block V-8. A full hybrid model is also under consideration.

What remains to be seen is if Omega turns into another Zeta-like saga of on-again, off-again program changes that never see production. We’re hoping that does not turn out to be the case.
    RWD and an OHV V8? It hardly seems to be an "Uber anything" today, never mind 2017... By then, all the German brands will have folowed Audi into AWD, active supension, all-alloy,DI, V6TT and hybridization. Who will want a 1960s era, updated Fleetwood, ARK??

Thanks

I think it is too soon to claim victory, 15'-17' is still far away. By then Lincoln and Hyundai may have a full line of luxury cars developed while the folks over at GM continue to debate over whether a proper flagship is necessary for Cadillac to compete on the world class stage of highfalutin uber luxury cars. Even if approved it still wont be Cadillac's panacea if not well executed based upon tomorrow's standards of luxury refinement. I hate to be the devil's advocate but the General has been notorious for being reactive rather than proactive when it comes designing, engeenering, and/or developing new product.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 07-12-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

I think it means that they would not have opted to produce the car versus the originally planned RWD flagship.
    XTS was decided upon when GM had no money. I thought...

I am glad the lead is North America.

Nick, I thought you said, GM North America could not work with Zeta because it would make the platform too heavy and expensive? What was the tale between Zeta and GM North America?

This is great news!! As always GMi is the place to get GM news

Last edited by mbukukanyau; 07-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Fantastic news! I love Real Cadillac almost as much as I love Real Chevrolet... Almost.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Sorry FWD haters. I think the XTS looks great - a quantum leap beyond the DTS. Good news on the RWD flagship though - Cadillac needs to build it before using any more 'Standard of the World' type of slogans.
    Last edited by minnfang; 07-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Terrain/2012/Olympic White

I like the XTS, its a good replacement for those 2 dated vehicles (STS & DTS) and then having a top of the line deal being the RWD car they are talking about. If they have it go CTS then up to the big RWD sedan its going to leave a rather big hole i'd feel but idk what they'd be thinking with it all. Keep XTS is my vote.
    Current:
    2012 GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 with 3.0L
    2007 Sierra 3500 Classic (dad's)x2
    2009 Chevy HHR (Moms hot rod)
    1997 Toyota Corolla (clown car, mom owns)

Past:
    1994 Ford Ranger
    1994 Ford Explorer

Thanks

Light weight ZETA makes this a double dose of good news. Now where is Bob Lutz when we need him to confirm this project?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information