Cadillac CUE Flawed, Not to Point of Failure: Consumer Reports

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CUE Flawed, Not to Point of Failure: Consumer Reports

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

AutoGuide
    November 21, 2012
    by Luke Vandezande

Generally regarded as an unbiased product information source, Consumer Reports criticized Cadillac’s CUE infotainment system in its critique of the new XTS sedan, which missed out on a “recommended” score, but why?

“First off the XTS scored quite well,” Consumer Reports senior automotive engineer Tom Mutchler said. “The score was lowered because of CUE,” he said, but that isn’t the reason it failed to garner a coveted ‘Recommended’ rating. In fact, “the XTS would have been recommended if we had reliability ratings for it,” he said.

Mutchler explained that while CUE fell under scrutiny, that doesn’t add up to a failure by a long shot. It’s quite the contrary, in fact.

He lauded the system, saying ” CUE works great for syncing with your smartphone, using apps and bluetooth.” He went on to say theXTS will get a “recommended” rating as long as the reliability ratings return positive results.

Many reviewers, AutoGuide included, have criticized CUE at times for making simple features finicky — something Mutchler echoed.

“It over-complicated simple things: this quest for styling — to get rid of normal knobs. It makes it all much more fussy,” he said, pointing to how simple things like changing the stereo volume and cabin temperature and unnecessarily difficult with CUE. “Especially when you compare CUE to the Chrysler Uconnect system,” he said. “That’s far easier to use.”

He also addressed the fact that Consumer Reports reflected positively on the exclusively touch screen controls in the Tesla Model S. While it might seem hypocritical, he said the Tesla’s system is easy to intuitive. Even more importantly, it’s much more responsive than other systems like CUE and MyFord Touch, which can both be sluggish.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SX3
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac CUE Flawed, Not to Point of Failure: Consumer Reports

I'll echo my thoughts from the other thread.

It is unacceptable to have a touch screen interface in a car like this that controls so much that is sluggish or slow. Anything less than instantaneous is a failure of that system.

That said, temperature controls and volume should always be done with a knob so one doesn't have to take his/her eyes off the road to adjust them.

The problem with touch screens: you have to look at them to properly see what you are doing. There is no touch feedback to tell you have reached the desired point of change. Considering we already have issues with people not looking at the road while driving because of cell phones or other things (make up, food, etc), putting in a system that requires the driver to take their eyes off the road isn't a positive.

Make the information available in the heads up display and then maybe it will work better.

That said, I agree that touch controls make the simple tasks of climate control and radio volume needlessly complicated.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC dewey9315's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet CR blasts MFT and CUE because it feels that the older demographic (which I believe is the main group of people who read and suscribe to CR) will have a tough time adapting to it...they're ensuring that they don't "recommend" a product that their target market my have trouble with.

Just my 2 cents....
    1963 Buick Wildcat waiting to be brought back to life.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Well looking at the picture the volume control is on the steering wheel and also below the CUE display. I can also see heat control below the CUE, I don't get it, what's so hard about that????

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

GM is experiencing the same thing that Ford has, and it is equally ridiculous.

They all have 3 or more ways to control pretty much everything. There are redundant controls on the center stack, and redundant controls on the steering wheel. There is also voice control. Thus, you rarely even have to interface with the touch screen. In the rush to push an agenda, these "journalists" forget all of that.

We test drove an Explorer Sport a week ago. I am not a techie. I will repeat, I am not a techie. I know this, and accept this. Yet, within 30 seconds of entering this Explorer Sport, I easily navigated the steering controls, and the MFT system to find my favorite Sirius channel, and to adjust the climate control. How did this non techie manage such a daunting task?? I looked at the controls for 20 of those 30 seconds, instead of just pushing everything without knowing what I was doing.

The reality is, an actual owner who has any sense of logic, will be able to perform all of the basic functions that they need.................. without training................ in short order. This isn't rocket science, and the vehicle does not explode if you hit the wrong button.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

CUE's response times are notably slower than with Chrysler's U connect but it may only be noticeable to someone actually paying attention to those things. Yes the learning curve to cue is steeper but if I was able to learn it fully in 10 minutes although I am relatively tech savvy an owner of the car will easily learn the system.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Doesn't CUE have voice activated features? Why doesn't anyone ever mention them and how they may circumvent any of the touch shortcomings?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Doesn't the steering wheel have controls to navigate the CUE system. I know for me I barely touch stereo because I'm able to control all the functions I use daily through the steering wheel controls.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 ZO6 / 2010 ZR1/2013 XTS/

Mine works flawlessly. I think part of the problem is that these guys don't understand how "haptic feedback" works....You don't "poke" at it repeatedly with your finger, rather, you touch it, leaving your finger in place momentarily. You will FEEL a "haptic feedback" indicating a change in radio volume, blower speed, window page, etc., You do not need to take
    your eyes off the road for radio volume/station,phone, and navagation. as well as instrument cluster changes because they are all on the steering wheel controls..... This is a magazine that has never looked favorably on American cars, one reason I don't subscribe............

More 1st's in the Automotive Industry than Any Automobile......Ever!

"The Standard of The World" CADILLAC

Jake

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 601 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Generally regarded as an unbiased product information source, Consumer Reports criticized Cadillac’s CUE infotainment system in its critique of the new XTS sedan, which missed out on a “recommended” score, but why?
    lol...
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    Mine works flawlessly. I think part of the problem is that these guys don't understand how "haptic feedback" works...
    Is the contact non intuitive though?

I haven't had the chance to experiment with CUE (yet) but MyLink Touch is stellar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    lol...
    I got a laugh at that one as well.

I'm hoping the opener is sarcasm.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

I think a volume knob is much more accurate as well.if you want to turn the volume up or down just a tad it is the best way to go. Having said that I didn't have a problem with the volume in my xts test drive, but I was doing big swings trying to hear what it sounded like at higher volumes then turning it down to almost nothing to hear how quiet the car was.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac SRX

I had my 10 year old grandson program the voice activated phone in my SRX. The only problem I have now is when I say call home, it calls his home and not mine!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoboken Tim View Post
    I had my 10 year old grandson program the voice activated phone in my SRX. The only problem I have now is when I say call home, it calls his home and not mine!
    LMAO ....... thats gold

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information