Cadillac CTS Wagon Getting the Axe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CTS Wagon Getting the Axe

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The title says it all.

AutoGuide.com

When the next-generation Cadillac CTS model is unveiled, the wagon variant will be missing from its lineup.

And by the looks of things, it won’t be sorely missed. Further proving that Americans aren’t fond of wagon models, the American automaker’s lack of sales on its CTS wagon variant has caused it to be added to the chopping block.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac CTS Wagon Getting the Axe

While this wouldn't be surprising if true, is this site known for accurate information or merely speculation?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Its been said that the only body style will be the sedan for a while once the next generation comes out.

Although, as I said on day one when pricing was released, GM killed the wagon before it went on sale. You could get an equally as good equipped SRX for more than $5k less (IIRC) than a CTS wagon. It is a shame because it is the sexiest Cadillac vehicle they have produced in years.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I need to get a new job ASAP so that I can pick up a CTS wagon before they are gone. An HHR, CTS Wagon and Ford Flex would provide the proper amount of flexibility for all my driving needs.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It is a shame because it is the sexiest Cadillac vehicle they have produced in years.
    QFT. My local Caddy dealer had a Black Diamond Tricoat with the optional 19" Satin Graphite wheels sitting out front. If Darth Vader drove a car with a "F the Rebel Alliance" bumper sticker, this would be that car.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L

I agree with all of the comments so far with one exception. I don't think this says anything at all about Americans attitude towards wagons. When the only wagon you offer is on a $50Kish Cadillac, how many buyers can there be. While I know it will never happen, put out a reasonably priced cruze wagon or regal wagon, see how the sales go and then make a judgement on the overall American attitude towards wagons.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that it is a fact that the majority of Americans would never consider a wagon, but using this particular example as the barometer of that sentiment seems wrong to me.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8 (seriously)

Current Rides: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4, 2001 Ford ZX2 (Work commute car) & 2009 Saturn Vue XR (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX & 1998 Honda Civic DX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Although, as I said on day one when pricing was released, GM killed the wagon before it went on sale. You could get an equally as good equipped SRX for more than $5k less (IIRC) than a CTS wagon. It is a shame because it is the sexiest Cadillac vehicle they have produced in years.
    True, but understandable. The Sigma platform is much more advanced and makes for a much better "driver's car" than the Theta/Epsilon fusion used for the pedestrian 2nd Gen SRX. It is cheaper for GM to modify Equinox's bones to become the SRX and that is what the buying public wants. I can't even get a crossover-intender to look at the CTS Wagon. We stopped carrying them. Shame because it's my favorite bodystyle of CTS. If you want a collector's car to bring to shows in 20-30 years, get your hands a manual transmission CTS-V Wagon. Rarest GM vehicle in a long time (except maybe the Solstice Coupe and G8 GXP).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd have one tomorrow if I could, but I think we all knew it wasn't destined for success. Too bad, but wagons of any kind are going to be rare from now on with the huge array of compact crossovers available.

The market has spoken.
    Last edited by megeebee; 11-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

We knew this was going to happen when the next gen CTS came out it would drop the wagon. I think GM only produced the wagon because the developement cost was very low as aside from the obvious changes to the car not much else needed to be changed. The wagon bodystyle just helped to make the CTS a bit unique and maybe bring in a handful of buyers who would have otherwised bought something german.

But I do agree with bballr4567 on the pricing with the CTS wagon and a fully loaded SRX. I had priced the two when the wagon was first launched and they were almost the same price but the SRX had more backseat features compared to the CTS which just looked plain compared to the SRX.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GHull3 View Post
    QFT. My local Caddy dealer had a Black Diamond Tricoat with the optional 19" Satin Graphite wheels sitting out front. If Darth Vader drove a car with a "F the Rebel Alliance" bumper sticker, this would be that car.
    Darth Vader's car will always be the Buick Grand National
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,181 Posts

True, Europe is futile and China could give a **** about wagons. Isn't the coupe supposed to hit in 2016MY with the flagship? In any case, I would still make a wagon. It cost them nothing the first time, it'll cost them nothing again. An AWD CTS-V wagon is the utilitarian enthusiast's dream. Also my dream.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,181 Posts

I think all 3 are good candidates:

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

Expected, but too bad. I think it' a mistake to abandon the wagon market this early. Can't really have a resurgence in wagons when there's only 3 or four LUXURY options and few cheaper ones.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 763 Posts

LMAO.

CTS Wagon was only built and sold in the US because Cadillac essentially folded up shop in Europe -- the original destination of the Wagon. Cadillac sold it in the US in an attempt to recoup some of the investment of making the wagon. Unsurprisingly, it flopped.

That doesn't mean that the wagon form factor is a bad one. It's just a bad one in the US.

If Cadillac ever gets its head out of its ass and actually becomes a global luxury carmaker, a wagon will be necessary in many regions.

2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6

Uniquely, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd so hoped that it would sell like crazy as it is a truly lovely car.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information