GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac Confirms 335HP Four-Cylinder Plug-in Hybrid For CT6

11K views 86 replies 36 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 ·
Cadillac Confirms 335HP Four-Cylinder Plug-in Hybrid For CT6
Carscoops
Posted by John Halas
Sunday, April 19, 2015

As expected, Cadillac announced the addition of a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) powertrain for its range-topping CT6 sedan at the Shanghai Auto Show.

The powertrain combines a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine with an all-new rear wheel electric variable transmission (EVT) that incorporates two electric motors and draws energy from an 18.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack positioned between the rear seat and the trunk.

GM estimates the system is capable of producing a combined output of 335 hp (250 kW) and 432 lb-ft (586 Nm) of peak torque, stating that fuel economy will be "more than double that of the car’s conventional engine offerings, as measured by miles per gallon equivalent".

See less See more
#3 ·
This maybe more fun to drive than the turbo 6. Again i cant wait to see this baby in action.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok now Cadillac is really sticking it to them and putting out tech that pushes things further. Still in true Gm fashion it will come out over a year and a half after the launch of the car just in time for Benz and BMW to come up with something to best it.

#16 ·
Shows the brilliance of working so hard to build such a light platform. They can get away with smaller, more efficient drivetrains. Fuel economy in and of itself may not be the number one factor in a luxury car purchase, but the marketing advantage is undeniable.

#23 · (Edited)
It kind of sounds like the CT6 might have hybrid powertrain for all engines...

It has to be considering that the new 3.6L engine produces 335BHP there is no difference in power between that engine and this powertrain. Lets say the 3.6 is 400BHP combined hybrid, and the 3.0TT uses 150HP electric motors to push 550BHP in power.......

If Cadillac does something like this then that would be impressive, 550BHP can really move a vehicle and yet at the same time that engine can shut down to 4 and with the electric motors helping it can stay in 4 mode.

#24 ·
They could eventually but they're not in the short term . GM seems to only be mating the hybrid system with the 4 cylinder family. It may be to allow for max fuel economy gains while speeding up implementation and spread development costs the furthest. Keep in mind this. Same engine and EVT is headed to the CTS and ATS replacements. A FWD version will probably come for the XT5 and other GM crossovers. I think in the future we could see the hybrid system added to the 3.0 TT, Maybe for the CT8.

#33 · (Edited)
Yes please. But not to a place like this*:

*Cadillac/Corvette/Opel Kramm Berlin

cough, 'how you sell luxury cars abroad', cough

#32 ·
Finally good looking pictures of CT6 in black. I even changed my avatar!
I want to see that beige interior!

#42 ·
It sounds like this is a different electric propulsion than the one used in the new Volt and Malibu hybrid. These have two planetary gear sets, Cadillac says the CT6 Plugin uses three PGs. Hopefully they will use it in all RWD vehicles including the Corvette, Camaro and trucks.

#43 ·
Yes, but then again how are they related ..... and how 'modular ish' are they ?

In other words the complete expression and description of the word 'share'.

#48 ·
Well, to each his own.

These pics 'optically', make the front overhang look quite a bit larger than what has been seen via the earlier others.

In 'White'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.