Cadillac ATS Wins Motor Press Guild Vehicle of the Year

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac ATS Wins Motor Press Guild Vehicle of the Year

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

AutoGuide
    November 20, 2012
    by Luke Vandezande

Support for the Cadillac ATS is building quickly among the automotive press, most recently resulting in it claiming the Motor Press Guild Vehicle of the Year Award.

“In many ways, the ATS is a breakthrough vehicle for Cadillac,” said Laura Burstein, president of the Los Angeles-based Motor Press Guild. “Our members remarked that the ATS is capable on both the street and the track, offers a well-made and attractive interior, is replete with the latest technology, and – perhaps most importantly — is fun to drive.”

The Motor Press Guild chose the ATS from a list of six finalists and the award will be officially presented on November 29 during the L.A. Auto Show press preview days. Eligibility for the award requires that the car be all-new or substantially changed. It also needs to be available in dealer showrooms by January 1, 2013.

Built as a BMW 3 Series fighter, the Cadillac ATS is offered with three engine options. In the base model, it has a 2.5-liter four cylinder with 202 hp and 191 lb-ft of torque. Crank the performance up a notch and buyers get a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine good for 272 hp and 260 lb-ft. Finally, there’s the naturally-aspirated 3.6-liter V6, which makes 321 hp and 275 lb-ft as the range-topping model.

Each offers a distinct package that as a complete product line can cater to more fuel frugal luxury buyers while offering the horsepower to keep enthusiasts engaged as well.
    Last edited by ne_one; 11-21-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Formatting: please refer to the guide at the top of the Submit a News Article forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Another accolade for ATS

This car (the ATS) is a better driver than the 3 series,and a better car overall if you are looking for a true drivers car. Interior designs and materials makes it by far the standard of the world, truly the best.. I can now say that having driven both. The Question is, Do the magazines have the bolls to say it, after all these years of sucking up to the BMW?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

its cool. looking forward to seeing whats next for caddy
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

Thanks

Re: Cadillac ATS Wins Motor Press Guild Vehicle of the Year

Current Cars:
    2008 Opel Astra OPC
    2013 Opel Astra 1.6T Sport
    2008 Opel Zafira 1.9 CDTi
    2003 Opel Astra 2.0 CSX
    2012 Chevrolet Spark 1.2 LS

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

GM will take all of the positive press it can get.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW335xi (CUE=no ATS)

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    This car (the ATS) is a better driver than the 3 series,and a better car overall if you are looking for a true drivers car. Interior designs and materials makes it by far the standard of the world, truly the best.. I can now say that having driven both. The Question is, Do the magazines have the bolls to say it, after all these years of sucking up to the BMW?
    I thought the Caddy was a let down, had questionable quality throughout. Weird and different stitching all over the place, fake stitching lining the transmission tunnel., tacky hard plastic lower door panels, window switch gear not as nice as the Buick Regal, the surround to the window switch gear was on par with our Acadia, which is to say cheapo and not befitting cars in this class. I felt the BMW was far more cohesive with better materials in all the areas above. The Caddy was nice, but in some sense struck me as having squishy materials pasted on top of poor materials. Materials were almost on par with my 2003 A4, sort of. In many respects my old A4 was nicer. Standard of the world.....um, not in my eyes.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC vetterider19's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jadis View Post
    I thought the Caddy was a let down, had questionable quality throughout. Weird and different stitching all over the place, fake stitching lining the transmission tunnel., tacky hard plastic lower door panels, window switch gear not as nice as the Buick Regal, the surround to the window switch gear was on par with our Acadia, which is to say cheapo and not befitting cars in this class. I felt the BMW was far more cohesive with better materials in all the areas above. The Caddy was nice, but in some sense struck me as having squishy materials pasted on top of poor materials. Materials were almost on par with my 2003 A4, sort of. In many respects my old A4 was nicer. Standard of the world.....um, not in my eyes.
    Wait, really?
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2004+...,r:1,s:0,i:106

the interior of a 2004 audi A4 looks like a tarted up Jetta. Say what you want about the ATS interior but it is WORLDS ahead of a 2004 Audi A4. I'd even go out on a limb to say that the goofy interior of the first gen CTS was nicer than the A4.
    1998 C5 Corvette LS1/F45 48,498
    2013 Infiniti G37XS Sedan Prem, Nav, Sport, Tech VQ37VHR 1238

Inspired Performance
    America's Sports Car

Long Live The General

Winter is coming.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

The latest Motortrend video comparing the 335i, ATS, and C350 said it best with one change..... N55+ZF transmission+ATS chassis+ATS interior= perfect compact sports sedan on Earth. I disagree with their wanting the C350's interior in the perfect compact sports sedan. I would want the ATS's interior with CUE improved to get rid of the slow and laggy response.....

Thanks

agreed 100% with the above statement.

Inspired Performance
    America's Sports Car

Long Live The General

Winter is coming.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

He's talking about materials, not what you see in a photo. Materials quality reflects the impression you and your friends and family get from living with the car day in day out, it helps cement the quality impression of your car and like everything in life, is comparable.

Thanks

Hurry up with the coupe. And the V series motor.

Then sign me up.

S'pose we might see a coupe at NAIAS? Any credible rumors about when the coupe is going to hit?

Or maybe we see the V series at NAIAS . . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbo240 View Post
    He's talking about materials, not what you see in a photo. Materials quality reflects the impression you and your friends and family get from living with the car day in day out, it helps cement the quality impression of your car and like everything in life, is comparable.
    I would also argue that design plays just as big of a part. You could have an interior that is well designed but uses lower quality materials and vice versa. There needs to be a synergy of material and design. You usually can't get away with uninspiring design even though a car might use a soft dashboard piece or two.

It is pretty easy to see in that photo that the center stack and everything below the silver trim line in the center of the dash is hard plastic. I've spent plenty of time in old gen Audi A4s to know the "materials quality" is only a few notches above that of a then current Jetta and that the design is just as uninspired.

Inspired Performance
    America's Sports Car

Long Live The General

Winter is coming.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by jadis View Post
    On to Bentley for you. The Cadillac's interior is exellent. I cannot think of a German car with a price tag below $50,000.00 that comes close to it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I agree with the opinion that you can not ignore interior design and only focus on material quality. I have always felt that design is often down played when comparing vehicles to German cars.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Gm786's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Future Car Panamera GTS

I would have or take a Monsoon Blue or silver Audi S5 over a ATS any day though it is one of the best vehicles to ever come from GM in especially in that segment. Not only that but it's competitors have better transmissions. They don't even have a Dual Clutch gearbox yet. Their first application of a dual clutch 7 or 8 speed is going to be in the 2014 Corvette. The competition has had it for like 3-4 years now.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information