Cadillac ATS Boosts Brand to Best Sales Month in 23 Years

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac ATS Boosts Brand to Best Sales Month in 23 Years

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

AutoGuide
    February 2, 2013
    by Jason Siu

The old addage “win on Sunday, sell on Monday” seems to apply to more than just racing. After being named the 2013 North American Car of the Year, the Cadillac ATS sport sedan has helped the American luxury brand have its best sales month in 23 years.

Cadillac U.S. sales increased by 47 percent in January and the automaker estimates that it gained approximately three percentage points of share in the luxury market domestically. 94 percent of Cadillac’s sales in January were retail, the highest since 1990.

“The award-winning ATS and the consistently strong SRX crossover drove a surge in demand this month,” said Chase Hawkins, vice president of Cadillac sales. “When you look inside the numbers, we’re even more encouraged to see our products building momentum, drawing new luxury consumers and expanding our brand.”

As for General Motors, retail sales were up 24 percent and the American automaker moved a total of 194,699 vehicles in January. Car sales were up 12 percent compared to last year, while truck sales increased by 13 percent. Crossover sales saw an increase of 27 percent compared to 2012 while GM’s full-size pickups went up 32 percent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Although the ATS sales stood on its own, the 2,781 units hardly "drove" the over all sales. I think it needs to be at 5,000 or more to be in the same class of the Germans.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 FUTURE_OF_GM's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac ATS Boosts Brand to Best Sales Month in 23 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher View Post
    Although the ATS sales stood on its own, the 2,781 units hardly "drove" the over all sales. I think it needs to be at 5,000 or more to be in the same class of the Germans.
    Rome wasn't built in a day, brah.....

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Keep in mind BMW & MB include their coupe & wagon numbers as well. I would imagine ATS sales hitting 5000/month once the next CTS comes out

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6

BMW sold 5k sedans, coupes, wagons, M3's and etc. last month. Mercedes sold 6k C-Classes. The ATS is doing quite well with one bodystyle. Please stop complaining people; I'm impressed with the numbers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    BMW sold 5k sedans, coupes, wagons, M3's and etc. last month. Mercedes sold 6k C-Classes. The ATS is doing quite well with one bodystyle. Please stop complaining people; I'm impressed with the numbers.
    BMW sold over 10k 3 series in December, their sales dropped by half last month because they eliminated the year-end incentives and their inventory is low.

MB dropped their incentives slightly, and maintained their 7k+ C class sales. The Infiniti G is on its last leg, yet still sold more than ATS. At the same time, GM has been offering the best lease deals for ATS in January.

I am not saying ATS did poorly, but there is no Rome analogy here today, competition is fierce, many manufactures want to build their own versions of "Rome". In a sense, no one has the luxury of more than "one day" to build Rome anymore.
    Last edited by Atswatcher; 02-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

ATS doing steady work for Cadillac already. SRX continues to surprise with good sales. Hoping to see a ATS-V soon to further boost the ATS image.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I think the ATS will build volume over time. Caddy needs to build awareness and continue to win awards to overcome its "old mans car" image. As noted earlier, Rome wasn't build overnight.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

The big concern for me is the inventory level for ATS which is now up around 20,000 cars.
    It was 16,200 at the end of December, then in January GM built 7,200 more ATS.

ATS sales will increase in spring and summer but IMO, production needs to ease back a bit for now...

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher View Post
    I am not saying ATS did poorly, but there is no Rome analogy here today, competition is fierce, many manufactures want to build their own versions of "Rome". In a sense, no one has the luxury of more than "one day" to build Rome anymore.
    We're talking about a new entry in an entrenched market from a manufacturer that has been demonized both for for its previous attempts in this segment and for the bailout. Expecting volume parity overnight is simply unrealistic.

It's not just a matter of building a better mousetrap. I'm sure the legion of manufacturers trailing Toyota in the compact and mid-size markets are a wee bit flummoxed by market dominance after massive recalls, an earthquake and unexceptional product offerings. What's next? The Krakken?

The difference with the ATS is that it's up against BMW and MB. And already littered on that luxury boulevard of broken dreams is Infiniti and Lexus.

Next up: the CTS.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo69 View Post
    ATS doing steady work for Cadillac already. SRX continues to surprise with good sales. Hoping to see a ATS-V soon to further boost the ATS image.
    IMHO, they should not wait for the ATS-V, but offer a more aggressive sport package. The current trims do not differentiate between the sport model and luxury model that much. Every brand in this segment has a aggressive sport appearance package people are willing to pay extra for.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    The big concern for me is the inventory level for ATS which is now up around 20,000 cars.
    It was 16,200 at the end of December, then in January GM built 7,200 more ATS.

ATS sales will increase in spring and summer but IMO, production needs to ease back a bit for now...
    Unless they are shooting for moving 5k+ units a month. I think it is doable in a short time, if they continue to add value to the ATS, one of the ways to do it might be a sport appearance package, followed by an ATS-V.
    Last edited by Atswatcher; 02-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC efile28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Buick Regal LS

Still waiting to see one on the roads here in the Toronto area.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

How well is the XTS selling?

Thanks
    My Ride
    04 GTO 09 G8GT & 15 MustangGT?

Time to get MORE Alpha products here, STAT!

2015 Mustang GT TY A6 (ON ORDER!)
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: Neanderthal LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information