Cadillac ATS 3.6 vs BMW 335i vs Mercedes-Benz C350! - Head 2 Head (MotorTrend) - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac ATS 3.6 vs BMW 335i vs Mercedes-Benz C350! - Head 2 Head (MotorTrend)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Kennyboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac ATS 3.6 vs BMW 335i vs Mercedes-Benz C350! - Head 2 Head (MotorTrend)

I somewhat agree with the person in the review. The CUE system isn't intended to be used while driving, its more of a hands-free device in which the person has to speak their commands to the system. While that is easier to use than the BMW's or the Benz's, I would much rather have that tactical feel to it. I like the sensation of pushing buttons and playing with the system, rather than saying a word and the let the system handle it for you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: MT- ATS whips 335i and C350

I've used CUE, I have an Iphone and I've used an Ipad. Truly, CUE and the Iphone/Ipad are a little different.

I think the issue with CUE is that people expect it to be an Ipad clone and it's not. It's very important to understand how haptic feedback works compared to the Ipad. You have to deliberatly touch the screen and allow the feedback to hit first before swiping or performing the action. People and the media just hop on CUE and start jabbing and poking the thing to death because they don't understand haptic feedback. Wait for the engagment and then it's pretty smooth.

It takes a little experience to get comfortable with it, but so does every other system. Once you understand how haptic feedback works, it's just a matter practice. A handful of drives would probably get most people comfortable.

I also drove the 2.0T about two weeks ago and it certainly felt light and nimble; very flickable. I only drove it for about 10 minutes and I was able to hit WOT and change a few lanes. It felt very planted and poised on bumps and lane changes at good speed. Even though I haven't driven the new 3, I don't doubt MT's ruling on calling the ATS a more engaging and well sorted driving experience.

The ATS is impressive and I'm glad some of the media is willing step outside their comfort zone and go against what has been expected and accepted for decades with the 3.

Things are only going to get better when the 8 speeds arrive, which might be enough to truly elevate the ATS as the unanimous leader in the segment.
    Last edited by CaddyLac10; 11-21-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added my driving experience

Thanks

Friend of mine told me it took him about two weeks to get the hang of CUE. At first he felt like he was never going to quite get it. But after some time living with it he says it works very good.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    My issue with CUE is that it's laggy and slow to respond. It isn't iOS fluid yet.
    As always its a new system with new software, give it time for them to work through all of the flaws in the system. Once those are worked out then we can properly revisit the question of going full touch screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Overall a terrible comparison, but glad to see the ATS bring home the win.
    I found it more like CUE itself, flawed but OK. At least CUE should get better with age; my main complaints: 1) for all the hype about the touch technology, it's not nearly as touch sensitive as the older tech found in my Volt's touchscreen; 2) it just seems like it needs a processor of about twice the speed, as it needs to both boot and respond faster; 3) the screen should ALWAYS show the set temperature of both driver and passenger, and it does neither unless you futz with it (there's no other place they're displayed.)

Finally, man does the ATS look great in black or what? Both the BMW and M-B looked like sad old Hondas by comparison in that video. Like really, not attractive at all.
    Last edited by yamahr1; 11-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

Re: Cadillac ATS 3.6 vs BMW 335i vs Mercedes-Benz C350! - Head 2 Head (MotorTrend)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    I have to agree that most reviews haven't thoroughly reviewed the infotainment system. They are reviewing it based on how they want to use the system and that's the issue.
    BINGO.

They are expecting it to be just like iOS on an iPad... it clearly is not at that level yet or may never be. Apple pours billions into software development that automakers cannot.
    Mr Lieberman should have known that the system while driving can be commanded much like SIRI. Thats how it was meant to be used. In that regard it is excellent. Also the system fom my use versus the german sedans is much more fluid and easy to use... so I don't understand where he was coming from with the big downplay. IDRIVE is simply terrible to use on a daliy basis.. even the new one. It requires way too much concentration on what you are doing and cannot be used well without eyeballing it. The steering wheel controls and voice commands of CUE are much much safer.

IMHO CUE is the best out there that I have used. And it's only going to get better each year as it is constantly updated.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    I knew it. I knew the 3.6L would rape the 335i.

Cadillac beat BMW.
    @ 1.06, the video states, "The car with the least amount of power, the BMW, is the fastest."

Caddie has only 273 lb-ft of torque, and a 6-speed Automatic vs. the Beemer's 300 lb-ft of turbo'd torque (very early and often), through an 8-speed Automatic.

Cadillac beats it Overall using the criteria set out, in Lieberman's opinion, but NOT in a straight-line. Put away the Rape Kit...

This review leaves me wanting a hands-on experience ASAP with the Gen-6 Camaro...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

His complaints about Cue could very easily be raised against any touch screen navigation system in some ways. BMW , and MB do utilize alternatives ways to do certain things so that is a benefit for those who are not tech savvy. All in all I believe that CUE truly moves the class forward, and it is not an evolution of existing systems.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Gm786's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Future Car Panamera GTS

This is the first comparison between the new 3 series BMW and the ATS where it came out on top. I'm surprised because the 3-Series has a better more fuel efficient gearbox. The materials used throughout the interior of the ATS is about right on par with it's competitors but Cadillac still needs to sweat the details a bit more like using real metal or alloy switchgear like Audi and BMW do. The problem is cost restraints because of the controlling stake the government has on the GM board.

Thanks

I had a feeling this would happen - the V6/auto ATS would do better in comparisons. Still need to see it carry through to a few more comparos, but still good news for Cadillac and GM then, since a good number will be the V6.

For that matter/as an aside what's the projected sales mix between the ATS engines? Seems like it would be pretty even between the 2.0T and V6, with the 2.5 behind them.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I think that the ATS is competitive in most ways to the other two, and mainly lacks the image and presence they have. The best steering and brakes, the best driving dynamics, lacking in the trans category and the engines are adequate and competitive. It's all well and good, but it may not be enough.
    This test strongly states the ATS comes out on top. What I want to see is the 6.2 ATS-V and ALL the reviewers saying the Cadillac is the best

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gm786 View Post
    This is the first comparison between the new 3 series BMW and the ATS where it came out on top. I'm surprised because the 3-Series has a better more fuel efficient gearbox. The materials used throughout the interior of the ATS is about right on par with it's competitors but Cadillac still needs to sweat the details a bit more like using real metal or alloy switchgear like Audi and BMW do. The problem is cost restraints because of the controlling stake the government has on the GM board.
    Bullsh-t alert!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Grand Prix GT

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Bullsh-t alert!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieLongRoof View Post
    @ 1.06, the video states, "The car with the least amount of power, the BMW, is the fastest."

Caddie has only 273 lb-ft of torque, and a 6-speed Automatic vs. the Beemer's 300 lb-ft of turbo'd torque (very early and often), through an 8-speed Automatic.

Cadillac beats it Overall using the criteria set out, in Lieberman's opinion, but NOT in a straight-line. Put away the Rape Kit...

This review leaves me wanting a hands-on experience ASAP with the Gen-6 Camaro...
    Power usually refers to the HP rating of the car, not torque. The guy should have pointed out 335i has the highest torque, which contributes to better acceleration. Over all I had the same impressions after test driving both the new 335i and ATS 3.6, the guy was spot on about the handling of the two cars. No, the ATS 3.6 did not rape the 335i, it was better driving on the twisties and around the corners, something the 3 series had always been on the top in this segment, until now.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

Good review, but the driver annoyed me. Maybe because he is a tool? Don't know? But, from the outside the Cadillac is the only one of the bunch that doesn't look like a mainstream upper trim level compact. In fact it was borderline breathtaking when he was driving it. Maybe it was the color, but that is one gorgeous ride. On the inside the BMV still looks like an uplevel compact with cheap plastic trim on the center mount. The iDrive looks very easy to use and should be the template for automakers to follow when designing infotainment systems. But I have used neither and don't get jacked up about technology. The MB interior looks better and appears to be softer than the BMW. I don't like the MB interior styling, but that is just my taste; I used to love my old 900's interior.

I think the reviewer got it right on the button.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (100k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 200k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information