GM Inside News Forum banner

An athletic performance from Cadillac's new muscle car

9K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  JimmyDiablo 
#1 ·
An athletic performance from Cadillac's new muscle car
By CHARLES FLEMING
LATimes.com
July 3, 2015

This isn't your Daddy's Caddy — it's a race car with Cadillac crests.

That's why the brand chose Willow Springs International Raceway in the Antelope Valley to show off its new ATS-V, a nimble sport sedan stuffed with a 464-horsepower twin-turbo V6.

The company says this hot rod, starting at $61,465, targets a younger buyer and bridges the gap between the larger CTS luxury supercar and the entry-level ATS.

The day at Willow Springs' 2.5-mile track started early, with a light breeze riffling the flags over the pits. A dozen journalists were herded into an air-conditioned tent for a primer on the new vehicle's stats.

They're impressive. The ATS-V, with 445 pound-feet of torque, rushes from zero to 60 in 3.8 seconds and tops out at 189 mph. It's fitted with sophisticated suspension, transmission and braking systems that make it a capable track car.

To prove that point, Cadillac reps put us in helmets, belted us into ATS-Vs and led us on three medium-speed guided laps around the highly technical track.

Video and article continues at link: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-cadillac-ats-v-20150703-story.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing new, but I figured this will be a painfully slow GM news weekend :) Happy 4th of July everyone!

I did like this review as the reviewer doesn't sound like a full out driving pro, more of an opinion of a normal driver.... Though that is just my impression as he said his limits were met long before the cars limits were.

And it's nice that this is a positive article from the LA Times, in the pro-foreign state of California....

#11 ·
So Caddy has their cars getting a lot more positive press now than in the past. Whether we like it or now..they have to take some of that 'mojo' they are getting with cars and apply it to crossovers/suvs. People don't want to hear that..but that is where buying habits are shifting.

#12 ·
Has Cadillac lost its edge?
The previous generation was bold, clearly North American, unrivaled, unique.

Both the ATS and the new CTS seem to have eliminated the brash, bold elements of Art and Science,
instead aping the ghosts and silhouettes of more established German competitors.
Coupled with rapidly increased pricing, this seems a recipe for disaster.

I'm happy to be proven incorrect, but sales seem to speak loudest.
And Cadillac is not selling well at all.

Reactions: johnstarnes
#14 ·
I agree that Caddy has some great product that has lost it's identity. I think Caddy shouldn't play tit for tat with the Germans. There are ways to challenge and compete with them without basically just copying their product portfolio. CTS V lost it's attitude.

#15 · (Edited)
Since when has a small 6cyl turbo sedan been regarded as a musclecar?

Reactions: posaune
#22 · (Edited)
I know it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I feel the Alpha-based Cadillacs have a poise and proportion that the old Sigma products simply do not possess. Both of them have a kinetic grace that make them stand out among their competition. I think it's because the Alpha platform isn't as tall and narrow as Sigma was (see the photo I posted above)

I'm in a minority here, but I love the Alpha Cadillacs. Again, entirely a personal opinion.

#25 ·
No doubt a nice car but one that virtually nobody wants. The people who buy these type cars buy BMW. Meanwhile Cadillac loyalists, with money in hand, are turned off and turned away and a new generation of younger luxury car buyers looking for CUVs find few options at a Cadillac store. When is Cadillac gonna stop pretending they live in the Black Forest and their U.S. centric customers drive on autobahns.

#30 ·
another thing most people make 35 grand a year - they are not able to lease any caddys buy may be able to lease an entry benz or bmr as those companies heavily subsidize the low end car leases and ease the credit requirements. Most people make 35grand if they arent one of the 90 million working age people who arent in the workforce- aha

#33 ·
Lease rates are a function of residual value so a $45,000 car that is expected to still be worth $35,000 after two years is cheaper to lease than one that's expected to depreciate down to $25,000 in the same time period. Part of Cadillac's problem is value retention and pricing the cars high and then offering massive discounts as was done on ELR makes it difficult to also offer attractive leasing options.

#41 ·
yes i do live with my elderly parent and still cant buy one- "f you make 35k a year, you are not buying any new car. Unless you live with your parents."
they cost too much - they need to just shovel money on the ATS' hood- they are going to lose a ****load on the car anyway for all the R&D$, capacity burned, new car delivery expenses- etc-may as well lose less by subsidizing - or just end it and write down how much of a total loss for the ATS?
What they really need is a tall CUV for 3o grand with the ATS performance- and then subsidize the **** out of it- i dont care about residuals- But in order for this to work they needed a Cien model and the model 16 priced way up there in the stratosphere- audi and benz got this formula right, but then again they are heavily subsidized by the kraut govt and take advantage of the US trade generosity- so GM fights handicapped against them- i.e. not impressed by them with all of their incumbent advantages-

#42 ·
" Part of Cadillac's problem is value retention and pricing the cars high and then offering massive discounts as was done on ELR makes it difficult to also offer attractive leasing options." ya ya I know all of this- who cares subsidize the leases. Doesnt johan know this, is he retarded?- it costs more to make the cars per unit than anything else in the auto biz- if you get your capacity up it trumps ALL- its called economies of scale and scope - very important to any conception of business endeavors- especially the auto industry-

#51 ·
You are right but maybe it's the only chance for Cadillac to be noticed by anyone outside U.S... Personally I like the old Hurst-Challenger term 'gentleman's muscle car'. Maybe that's a solution.

#54 ·
No, the ATS-V is not a muscle car,
Why not?

but we shouldn't be surprised that someone has used the descriptor, which seems to be used for any high-performance American car with horsepower and torque galore.
Well isn't that a pretty fair description of a Muscle car?

#55 ·
Generally speaking, it should have a V-8 and be produced roughly from around 1960 to 1974. That's how I see it. There's no concrete definition on what a muscle car is, so sometimes you have people who say Camaros can't be muscle cars (I think they're morons). If everyone had the same level of information at hand, I'd bet a concrete definition could be agreed upon.

Some people call Grand Nationals muscle cars, but I don't, but that's due to the era rather than its six with turbo. I certainly think they're more of a muscle car than a Cadillac ATS-V - luxury cars aren't muscle cars, just like Bimmer M3s aren't muscle cars.

#56 ·
So a "Muscle Car" is something about 40 years old that goes almost as fast as an ATS-V/ M3 etc, but isn't as nice inside and doesn't handle as well?

#57 ·
It's an essence. It's a product of a culture that was influenced by Baby Boomers, NASCAR, and the NHRA.

Otherwise, you could say, "So a "Muscle Car" is something about 40 years old that goes almost as fast as an ATS-V/ M3 etc, but isn't as nice inside and doesn't handle as well?" and be talking about a Miura.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.