Another Cadillac Sales Exec Is Out As Sales Slump Amid Stiff Competition

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Cadillac Sales Exec Is Out As Sales Slump Amid Stiff Competition

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Another Cadillac Sales Exec Is Out As Sales Slump Amid Stiff Competition

Automotive News

June 18, 2014

Article Quotes:

Cadillac U.S. sales chief Bill Peffer is out after less than 10 months, the brand's third head of sales to leave in two years as the executive turnover continues inside General Motors' sales organization.

Peffer's departure marks the latest executive churn at Cadillac, which is trying to leverage its rejuvenated vehicle lineup to close the sales gap on German rivals BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

Peffer was named to Cadillac's top U.S. sales post in October 2013, from his previous job as CEO of Nissan Australia. He replaced Chase Hawkins, who was in the job just 13 months before being dismissed from GM in June 2013 for an undisclosed policy violation.

Peffer was picked by Bob Ferguson, senior vice president of global Cadillac, who in recent months has been spending much of his time in Washington, D.C., helping to steer GM's response to its ignition switch recall.

Ferguson, GM's top lobbyist before being picked by former GM CEO Dan Akerson in October 2012 to lead Cadillac, is likely to transition out of the Cadillac job and shift back to his Washington position full time, according to GM insiders.

Peffer leaves amid cooling Cadillac sales, following a year in which U.S. deliveries jumped 22 percent to 182,543 units, leading Cadillac to bill itself as the industry's "fastest-growing full-line luxury brand."

Through May, Cadillac sales slipped 2 percent, well off the pace to hit Ferguson's forecast for this year of at least 10 percent U.S. sales growth.

Cadillac has been hurt by a 20 percent slide in sales of the ATS compact sedan this year through May. In an April interview, Peffer acknowledged that competition in that critical segment had stiffened with the debut of the Mercedes CLA sedan and other entries.

Cadillac's marketing unit also has seen executive churn.

Uwe Ellinghaus, the brand's global chief marketing officer and a former BMW executive, joined GM in January. He replaced Don Butler, the former Cadillac marketing chief who briefly was put in charge of overseas expansion before unexpectedly leaving GM last August. Butler emerged five months later as head of Ford's global connected-vehicle unit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Another Cadillac Sales Exec Is Out As Sales Slumping Amid Stiff Competition

The BMW X1, X3 and X5 are on fire from a sales standpoint. The new Lincoln CUV is receiving rave reviews and seems well on its way to being a big hit.

Yes, Cadillac has recently given us the ATS, CTS, ELR, Escalade and will soon deliver the ATS Coupe.

But with the exception of the Escalade, is this really what the market wants? Where are the CUVs that are so very popular in the marketplace today? Again, with the exception of the new Escalade, Cadillac seems to be clueless about the wants of the consumer.

I am willing to bet the X line from BMW is probably the most profitable group of vehicles in the world. Someone from Cadillac should note this and emulate if marketing research shows a future.

The SUV SRX must be replaced, and replaced soon. Cadillac also needs a CUV, not in a few years, but yesterday. Time to pay attention to what the consumer wants, and to vehicle margin potential.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (06-18-2014),dagr382 (07-02-2014),LetsRace (06-18-2014),samesun (06-18-2014),sfbreh (06-18-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Another Cadillac Sales Exec Is Out As Sales Slump Amid Stiff Competition

Cadillac slander in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
    shout out 2 america...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyfacedkayos For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-19-2014),JBsZ06 (06-19-2014),skylark68 (06-18-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I told y'all before. Art and Science design language needs to go. It is getting old and not exciting anymore. Buyers are voting with their money.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuallyMan For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-18-2014),nruggiero (06-19-2014),steve333 (06-18-2014)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Need more CUV's

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-19-2014),cad1cts (06-18-2014),LetsRace (06-18-2014),mgescuro (06-18-2014),ryannel2003 (06-18-2014)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuallyMan View Post
    I told y'all before. Art and Science design language needs to go. It is getting old and not exciting anymore. Buyers are voting with their money.

So making them look like everything else is automatically going to increase sales? The fact that I was seeing many 50K ATS's and 70k CTS's might have more to do with the slide in sales than Art and Science inspired styling. It would be a cold day in hell before I shelled out near 50 large for a noisy cramped 4 cylinder compact with gimmicky dash and poor interior storage/space utilization.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ponchoman49 For This Useful Post:

Tony's BlkGTP (06-18-2014)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuallyMan View Post
    That's a clueless statement. The SRX isn't having any trouble finding garages across the US. What buyers want constantly changes. You have to have the product turnaround timing down packed. Caddy is still trying to find there rhythm. It's going to take a while.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (06-18-2014),AMERICA 123 (06-19-2014),camaro_freak (06-18-2014),CJH (06-18-2014),megeebee (06-18-2014),samesun (06-18-2014),Tony's BlkGTP (06-18-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

The BMW X1, X3 and X5 are on fire from a sales standpoint. The new Lincoln CUV is receiving rave reviews and seems well on its way to being a big hit.

Yes, Cadillac has recently given us the ATS, CTS, ELR, Escalade and will soon deliver the ATS Coupe.

But with the exception of the Escalade, is this really what the market wants? Where are the CUVs that are so very popular in the marketplace today? Again, with the exception of the new Escalade, Cadillac seems to be clueless about the wants of the consumer.

I am willing to bet the X line from BMW is probably the most profitable group of vehicles in the world. Someone from Cadillac should note this and emulate if marketing research shows a future.

The SUV SRX must be replaced, and replaced soon. Cadillac also needs a CUV, not in a few years, but yesterday. Time to pay attention to what the consumer wants, and to vehicle margin potential.
    I agree with you, Cadillac needs new products, aside from the ATS/CTS/Escalade, they need more volume products. To me the SRX was boring from day one, save for the tubro 2.8 that they had in it. GM should have already swapped in the 2.0T in it to make it more competitive and hopefully get better mpg's. However I think the SRX really needs to be redisigned, compared to the one that it replaced it's very awkward looking, the first gen was somewhat awkward looking to but it still had presence and drove very well. Also the ATS coupe can't get here fast enough and same for the "V" variants, where is the ATS V Sport, the CTS V Sport was more or less launched from day one why doesn't the ATS get one.

I also think GM need's to communicate that their cars come with 4 cylinder engines and not just V6's and V8's. It might just be me but most people I talk to think that GM cars only have big engines, even when I had my first gen CTS everyone thought that it had a V8 and when I told them it was a V6 they were all shocked and confused. Same thing with my Terrain, when I tell them that it has a 4 cylinder, they seem somewhat shocked that it has a 4.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to majicbz07 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-19-2014)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyfacedkayos View Post
    Cadillac slander in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
    hey, if Cadillac deserves it, that's what message boards are for, despite your cute comment to try to pre-empt any criticism.

bottom line is, GM and Cadillac do deserve some criticism. Some of their products have gotten old, and they have neglected some segments, as other posters before me have pointed out.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (06-18-2014),377Z (06-18-2014),lam (06-18-2014)

Thanks

I saw my first Lincoln CUV last week. Great looking vehicle inside and outside. It was only after looking underneath that I realized it was basically a Ford Escape. That was enough to forget about ever buying one. The whole Cadillac franchise has little chance of competing with the three German models on an even keel. It just doesn't have the cachet or the finesse.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Ironic to hear people asking GM to sell more CUVs. Cadillac doesn't have enough but Buick has plenty despite sharing a showroom with GMC peddling some of the same product. Nuts.

Also, I'm not a luxury buyer but the Cadillac interiors still don't seem to feel as nice as MB or Audi. They look great but seem to just be gaudier versions of the same stuff they're putting in Chevy.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Quote Originally Posted by majicbz07 View Post
    I agree with you, Cadillac needs new products, aside from the ATS/CTS/Escalade, they need more volume products. To me the SRX was boring from day one, save for the tubro 2.8 that they had in it. GM should have already swapped in the 2.0T in it to make it more competitive and hopefully get better mpg's. However I think the SRX really needs to be redisigned, compared to the one that it replaced it's very awkward looking, the first gen was somewhat awkward looking to but it still had presence and drove very well. Also the ATS coupe can't get here fast enough and same for the "V" variants, where is the ATS V Sport, the CTS V Sport was more or less launched from day one why doesn't the ATS get one.

I also think GM need's to communicate that their cars come with 4 cylinder engines and not just V6's and V8's. It might just be me but most people I talk to think that GM cars only have big engines, even when I had my first gen CTS everyone thought that it had a V8 and when I told them it was a V6 they were all shocked and confused. Same thing with my Terrain, when I tell them that it has a 4 cylinder, they seem somewhat shocked that it has a 4.
    1) Except that the 2.8LTT was a complete dud and overly expensive, rightfully dropped in short order after launch. The buyers of that cash cow do not care that it has anything more than an adequate motor.

2) I don't disagree that a 2.0T would be a good choice, but not until they refresh the car on a newer lighter platform.

3) ATS-V or any other niche model will not do anything to drive the top line sales numbers that are the concern in the OP. We are talking volume, not image.

4) It's all about styling and I agree that the porky SRX has run it's course. I believe the CTS details will play nicely on the updated SRX proportions, but it needs to be on the market soon. GM has milked the market for about as long as they should have and yes, buyers are fickle.

While the new SRX is important, I am somewhat on the fence whether a larger, Lamba-size CUV is essential between it and Escalade. BMW have seemed to make it work... having the X1, X3, and X5 all available. So I understand that the need for 'something' in addition to the SRX makes sense.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket 88 View Post
    Ironic to hear people asking GM to sell more CUVs. Cadillac doesn't have enough but Buick has plenty despite sharing a showroom with GMC peddling some of the same product. Nuts.

Also, I'm not a luxury buyer but the Cadillac interiors still don't seem to feel as nice as MB or Audi. They look great but seem to just be gaudier versions of the same stuff they're putting in Chevy.
    You've got a point, but I think that the gaudiness is really just the splashy colors that Cadillac favors in the media release cars and advertisements. It's also true in part because the Chevy interiors (Impala, Tahoe) are so damn good now (really!). If you selected the more understated color combos in the Cadillac models, I think they are every bit the match for Audi/MB.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harry_Dunne For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-19-2014),dagr382 (07-02-2014),Rocket 88 (06-18-2014),samesun (06-18-2014),Tony's BlkGTP (06-18-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Premium Member SavoieRF's Avatar
    Thanks

Get rid of the SRX? Cadillac's best seller? Just a couple of years a gao Cadillac had all of the momentum in the world with the stunning CTS coupe, stand out Art and Science styling, V performance and competive pricing. Under the leadership of Ferguson, Cadillac got away from what made it an American icon and tried to clone its self into BMW... and it's failing.

- Need to restyle the ATS, Sedan and Coupe. They need to stand out of the crowd and become a "must have" for the 20-somethings and 30-something

- Clean up the confusing option packages on the ATS and especiallly the CTS

- Normalize the $3,000 cash rebate that has been on the CTS for many months now into an MSRP price reduction. The CTS wouldn't be in the jam its in right now if it was priced about $3,000 less right from the begining instead of having to reley on embarrassing rebates.

- Stop charging extra for the 3.6 L V6 engine in the ATS and the CTS. The 2.0T is a great engine but like it or not buyers of American luxury expect V6 (or bigger) engines in cars the size of the CTS. It's a cultural thing and its not going to change over night. Stop trying to force the issue.

-Stop trying to Europeanize Cadillac and Ferguson needs to go
    1991 Pontiac Firebird
    1992, 96, 04 Pontiac Bonnevilles
    1999 Chevy Camaro
    2007 Pontiac Torrent
    2009 Cadillac CTS
    2010 Cadillac SRX
    2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
    2013 Cadillac CTS Performance AWD Coupe

On the 2014 CTS: OK... you win....

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavoieRF For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (06-18-2014),dagr382 (07-02-2014)

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

I'm not a fan of the SRXs styling. I did lease a 2014 anyway and in many ways it's a better vehicle than the 3 first gens I had. It does have quite a bit of torque steer and backseat room is marginal but I do enjoy driving it and on the hwy at 80 mph it is about perfect.

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information