2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,409 Posts

Re: 2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car

Quote Originally Posted by cad1cts View Post
    Is the SRX moving to Spring Hill? O.o Right now it's built in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. If it does move to Spring Hill that'd be excellent. They really should better utilize that plant.
    Not sure, just a possibility I was suggesting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    I dont mind the link between the Alpha and Omega platforms for production reasons but this high end product should do better then struts for the front suspension! As a matter of fact I was fearful the CTS would lose the still superior Double A Arms to struts like the ATS uses and my prediction seems now to be obvious with the platform sharing between them! What Cadillac needs now for this new large model is a new DOHC 4VPC Twin Turbo V8! The 3.6L Twin Turbo could be a base engine for this car but the top Cadillac model still needs a powerful and competitive Turbo V8 to compete in that higher class! And on top of that if you look at what Audi and other competitors are doing with their Turbo V8's the new gen V models could use this exclusive DOHC 4VPC Turbo V8 in the highest performing models as well with different tuning! Cadillac needs this new advanced V8 to truly compete!
    Agree about the struts, really thought GM would step up to Coil Overs, if they can put them on Pickups why not flagships?

As for the Turbo V8, can't say GM should not create a DOHC 4VPC Turbo V8, but for 2016 that engine has to be ready now. Can see Turbos added to the Corvette 6.2L and Bentley used OHV V8's for years and still may (need to verify). HP is not as important in large flagships as Torque, much like large Trucks/SUV's so a smooth and powerful (Torque) OHV Turbo V8 will be more than adequate for the first Gen and that OHV Turbo V8 could find happy homes in other GM products.

If the Flagship establishes itself on the market and there is demand for a DOHC 4VPC Turbo V8, then Cadillac can offer it then as an "upgrade".

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    True, but they are selling well in China. And watch the Jay Leno ELR bit: he says that young hip guests on his show, when he talks cars with them, are very much into Cadillacs. And that's a very good sign.
    Actually not a well as the GM hype would lead you to believe.

Audi outsells Cadillac in China 14 to 1.

Audi is very strong in China and most definitely a Luxury Brand right at the top with BMW and Mercedes Benz.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 ZO6 / 2010 ZR1/2013 XTS/

If you truly believe you are "The Standard of the World" then you need a warranty...all Cadillacs should come with 7year/70.000 mile warranties.....and free service for the same period. All Omega's should be 10/ 100,000.....

The 2014 XTS Platinum V/Sport, with every option will top out at $70,000+. I expect the ULS to start north of $100,000. The 2015 Escalade will be $85,000-$100,000, the ELR will top out at $75,000+, the 2014 CTS V/Sport around $65,000, and the CTS-V (you know there's going to be one) around $90,000. So Cadillac is getting there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    They should also include the "Cadillac of Warranties" that includes all standard maintenance for the life of the warranty.
    +

More 1st's in the Automotive Industry than Any Automobile......Ever!

"The Standard of The World" CADILLAC

Jake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    If you truly believe you are "The Standard of the World" then you need a warranty...all Cadillacs should come with 7year/70.000 mile warranties.....and free service for the same period. All Omega's should be 10/ 100,000.....

The 2014 XTS Platinum V/Sport, with every option will top out at $70,000+. I expect the ULS to start north of $100,000. The 2015 Escalade will be $85,000-$100,000, the ELR will top out at $75,000+, the 2014 CTS V/Sport around $65,000, and the CTS-V (you know there's going to be one) around $90,000. So Cadillac is getting there.....

+
    I think the guy said the TTV6 is about a $7000 option, so yeah. About $71-72k.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post

Audi is very strong in China and most definitely a Luxury Brand right at the top with BMW and Mercedes Benz.
    Seriously, what hype? Nobody makes any bones about the fact that Cadillacs don't sell outside of the US. They also don't have **** in the way of product or sense in the lineup.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I can hardly wait to see the next Cadillac concept or two!
    I can hardly wait to see production Cadillacs that are better looking than any of the concepts shown

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post

Yes, but the Audis that sell are mostly A1s and A3s - that's a VW Polo and Golf by another name. It helps that VAG has five assembly plants in China. It doesn't help that they've had to recall every DSG-equipped car they've sold. And an even bigger faux pas was to state in other markets 'it's because they were made in China(!)'

Until ATS arrives, GM APAC hasn't really got an ideally-sized or -priced Cadillac. They'll sell a few CTS, and even fewer SRX and one or two Escalades. Not because they are not liked there, just too expensive.

Buick and to a lesser extent Chevrolet are a model for what GM could achieve. Malibus after a slow start are up to 7-8,000 a month, which is impressive as they are a large and expensive car, relatively speaking, in China. The number of people who could realistically afford to own and run a Malibu is probbaly 1/10 of the US.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Yes, but the Audis that sell are mostly A1s and A3s - that's a VW Polo and Golf by another name. It helps that VAG has five assembly plants in China. It doesn't help that they've had to recall every DSG-equipped car they've sold. And an even bigger faux pas was to state in other markets 'it's because they were made in China(!)'
    Until ATS arrives, GM APAC hasn't really got an ideally-sized or -priced Cadillac. They'll sell a few CTS, and even fewer SRX and one or two Escalades. Not because they are not liked there, just too expensive.
    Buick and to a lesser extent Chevrolet are a model for what GM could achieve. Malibus after a slow start are up to 7-8,000 a month, which is impressive as they are a large and expensive car, relatively speaking, in China. The number of people who could realistically afford to own and run a Malibu is probbaly 1/10 of the US.
    1/10 of the USA would be 31,600,000. That is well beyond the 200,000 a year Malibu's sold in the USA, and if they are selling 7000 a month, that would be 84,000 a year, just under half the Malibu total, and far less than the potential 31.6 million!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

I, for one, don't think GM should waste money developing a bespoke engine just for a low volume Caddy. These days, people won't care or even know the difference between a bone stock LT1 and a twin turbo, DOHC, 5.5L V12. That's the sad truth that us oldschool car guys need to get through our heads. It makes for a nice fantasy, but it won't sell cars, just cost a lot to develop.

GM aught to put available resources into making sure the Omega platform is not just class-leading, but will also be relevant 10+ years down the line. This means flexible dimensions allowing for a LWB model in countries like China, where it will be demanded, rather than GM's typical: "Our all new, exclusive, from scratch platform only goes to 207 inches long but also not less than 201 inches until we have funds to develop an all new platform." Plan for the future, guys. I mean how often are you allowed to develop an all new chassis? (For example, the Impala Limited which will be in production until June 2014 is based on the W-Body platform, which while updated multiple times over the years, debuted in 1988, or 26 years earlier! And that is for a platform with multiple volume models funding it.)

These days, "platform" also includes the tech-bus built into the architecture. This Cadillac needs to follow the recent CUE trend of blowing the big boys out of the water (at least in having the first virtual gauges, and fresh software), but to the power of 10. Things like mobile hot spot, smartphone/tablet/laptop integration, entertainment points at every seating position, and plenty of streaming services all available or standard in the car. Of course, materials and accommodations will need to be first rate, and I think the XTS proves Cadillac has what it takes to make this happen at a higher price bracket. First-class-treatment reclining rear seats with massage and footrests seem to be the price of entry these days.

Now one can see, with all these new technological and mechanical investments, where GM would be smart to save their pennies for what the buyers will truly be moved by. Still, if given an opportunity to develop a new powertrain, I'd also like to see Voltec in the LTS--but pared to the LT1 engine as a full hybrid. For a little extra kick (beyond the electric motors) an electric supercharger could be used to take advantage of all those batteries and provide boost for a few minutes if needed. But as I said, platform and interior tech first...all wrapped in stunning American sheet metal. Best of luck to ya Caddy.
    Last edited by eb110americana; 06-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Then, perhaps, GM will actually make a profit on RWD? I've said this before, but I think GM wants to center all RWD car production at Lansing, save for the Corvette of course.

The Omega will be a very low volume proposition in any case. I suspect it will have it's own corner of the plant and a small, dedicated workforce finishing what can't be done on the moving line. Camaro should be the product that will make thhe money for Alpha and the Lansing plant.

Sounds very reasonable.

Which make you wonder about the current Camaro. I mean, we assume that GM is making money on it. Especially considering that the average transaction price is several thousand dollars more than GM had originally forecast. But the part that I wonder about is that ~80K Camaros per year are built on an assembly line designed to build 250K cars per year.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks

Great to hear, even though its repeated news. I still don't understand why Omega will be just for Caddy, Buick and Chevy need this platform just as much, Buick needs a 60-70k Super Ultra Sedan, and Chevy needs a Car for Police Duty, and a Super Sport Sedan. Just using this platform caddy will not be a good thing, just think how much Sigma would have been better if it was used for both Buick, and Chevy. O well at least we getting a Super Duper Caddy.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    So Cadillac has not decided to produce the car, but they are developing the platform? Sounds dumb to me.
    Why is it dumb?

"Developing" is not the same as building. Design and engineering can be done relatively inexpensively. It's when it comes down to tooling and setting up production that the costs run to hundreds of millions.

All automakers are developing products "on paper" all the time. Only a small percentage of these projects ever see production but that doesn't make the design and engineering work "dumb".

"One thing at least is certain - This Life flies;
    One thing is certain and the rest is Lies -
    The Flower that once has blown forever dies.”
    -Omar Kyaam

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Sounds very reasonable.

Which make you wonder about the current Camaro. I mean, we assume that GM is making money on it. Especially considering that the average transaction price is several thousand dollars more than GM had originally forecast. But the part that I wonder about is that ~80K Camaros per year are built on an assembly line designed to build 250K cars per year.
    "Making Money" can mean a lot of things. It may be the current Camaro makes money in that there is a nice margin on an operating basis. But when considering the enormous amount of cash spent to tool-up/ set up production for ONE CAR on the Zeta platform, including the supply chain etc., the entire program may have lost money for GM. After the current Camaro dies, so does production of Zeta in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Equinox + Anthem + Terrain + SRX? would make it plenty busy.
    That would depend on what platform the next SRX is going to be built on. It's current one, "Theta Epsilon", isn't likely to survive after the death of the current SRX since it's the only GM vehicle to utilize it. If the next SRX shares a platform with the Equinox etc, then I suppose it could be built at Spring Hill. But setting up a production line for the current SRX there would be a huge waste of money since it's about 24 months away from "Youth-In-Asia".

If the next SRX utilizes Alpha, well then it's probably Lansing........

If it's built on Epsilon, then it could be built in any number of plants. Perhaps Kansas City since the Malibu hasn't set the world on fire.
    Last edited by megeebee; 06-19-2013 at 01:04 AM.

"One thing at least is certain - This Life flies;
    One thing is certain and the rest is Lies -
    The Flower that once has blown forever dies.”
    -Omar Kyaam

Thanks

But the part that I wonder about is that ~80K Camaros per year are built on an assembly line designed to build 250K cars per year.
    Also Oshawa, where the Camaro is built did/does make the W-body Impala and full-size trucks at the same plant.

I, for one, don't think GM should waste money developing a bespoke engine just for a low volume Caddy. These days, people won't care or even know the difference between a bone stock LT1 and a twin turbo, DOHC, 5.5L V12. That's the sad truth that us oldschool car guys need to get through our heads. It makes for a nice fantasy, but it won't sell cars, just cost a lot to develop.
    A bespoke version of the LT would be nice for Cadillac, different from the other engines, but still from the same family, perhaps a unique displacement version, with special internals.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information