2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car

Thanks

Consumer Guide
    UPDATED: 02/08/2013

Consumer Guide's Take on the 2016 Cadillac LTS
    Is this a good time to launch a new ultra-premium car? That's the question facing General Motors about its long-rumored "flagship" Cadillac. Though work is underway on what may be called LTS, the biggest, most opulent Caddy in years is not yet a done deal.

What It Is
    The 2016 Cadillac LTS is Consumer Guide's updated forecast for the so-called "flagship" Cadillac sedan that's been rumored off and on since the expansive Sixteen concept appeared at Detroit back in 2003. Though the project is not yet a go, several sources report that General Motors is again giving serious consideration to a large, ultra-premium Cadillac as a direct counter to the Audi A8, BMW 7-Series, Lexus LS, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Where It Fits
    According to Car and Driver, the LTS--or whatever it's called--will ride a new Cadillac-exclusive platform to be shared with at least three other large vehicles bearing the wreath-and-crest badge. Now being developed under the reported codename Omega, this architecture will take over from the Sigma platform that dates from Cadillac's original 2003 premium-midsize CTS. Engineering is said to be along the same lines as the rear-drive Alpha structure that hosts Cadillac's new 2013 ATS premium-compact sedan. C/D notes that while both architectures are scaleable, Alpha is limited to compact and midsize vehicles comparable to the BMW 3-Series and 5-Series, whereas Omega-based models can be made somewhat wider and stretched to around 207 inches overall, a footprint similar to that of BMW's long-wheelbase 7-Series premium-large sedan.

Engineering, Powertrains, and Features

Like Sigma, the Omega architecture is being designed for rear-drive and all-wheel-drive powertrains, but in such a way that any Omega derivative can be built alongside Alpha-based models, a provision that increases manufacturing flexibility as a hedge against sudden market swings. The Alpha kinship implies that Omega Cadillacs will employ a front-strut and rear-multilink suspension carried on noise-isolating front and rear subframes. Most suspension components should be made of weight-saving aluminum and high-strength steel for the sake of both handling precision and overall fuel economy. Electro-mechanical steering assist can be taken for granted. Ditto large 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, an integrated antiskid system with traction control, and GM's Magentic Ride Control shock absorbers that automatically adjust firmness in real time to suit various driving conditions and driver preferences.

Why It's Being Built

As noted, GM intends the 2016 Cadillac LTS to match or beat top-line premium-class rivals for size, power, performance, luxury, even craftsmanship and exclusivity. This reflects GM's ongoing struggle to make Cadillac a true global brand with equal or higher status than established premium players--a genuine "Standard of The World" and then some. We can also see the LTS being marketed as a more sensibly priced but no less worthy alternative to the vaunted likes of the Bentley Continental Flying Spur and Rolls-Royce Ghost.

What It Might Cost

If the celebrated Bob Lutz were still GM's product guru, we suspect he'd price the LTS on par with Germany's finest big sedans, which means high-$70,000s to low-$130,000s for 2012 models. He would certainly position Caddy's flagship well upstream of today's largest Cadillac car, the XTS, which occupies the comparatively modest $44,000-$60,000 range.

CG Says:
    The Sixteen concept was too much a fantasy to have any hope of production, but it's easy to imagine a showroom version of the striking Ciel concept, even if it's a sedan and not a convertible. Sure, this might seem a bad time to launch a big new luxury-liner, especially for still-recovering GM, but premium and ultra-premium cars have shown surprising sales strength despite ongoing market uncertainties and that could clinch the business case for green-lighting a 2016 Cadillac LTS.

*Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala LTZ "Nancy"

Re: 2016 Cadillac LTS Future Car

Alpha and Omega, eh? Interesting combination.
    www.basilonestopshop.com
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Channel: C00120B93
    Basil One-Stop Shop BBM Customer Service Chat Available

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post

hahahhahaha
    Current:
    2013 SRX 3.6 AWD
    2012 Impala LTZ 3.6
    2008 Saturn Vue XE 2wd 4cyl
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer LS 4200, 4wd
    1989 Geo Tracker base 4wd, 5spd, convertible 1.6

Past:
    2004 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3400, 1986 Mercury Cougar GS 3.8, 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8,
    1992 Mercury Sable GS 3.0, 2003 Chevy Impala LS 3800, 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Thread Over!!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu

I like the Ciel look - long and low without the rolling wedge of cheese design that GM seems to love.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I dont mind the link between the Alpha and Omega platforms for production reasons but this high end product should do better then struts for the front suspension! As a matter of fact I was fearful the CTS would lose the still superior Double A Arms to struts like the ATS uses and my prediction seems now to be obvious with the platform sharing between them! What Cadillac needs now for this new large model is a new DOHC 4VPC Twin Turbo V8! The 3.6L Twin Turbo could be a base engine for this car but the top Cadillac model still needs a powerful and competitive Turbo V8 to compete in that higher class! And on top of that if you look at what Audi and other competitors are doing with their Turbo V8's the new gen V models could use this exclusive DOHC 4VPC Turbo V8 in the highest performing models as well with different tuning! Cadillac needs this new advanced V8 to truly compete!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Consumer guide's information is old and information we already knew (for most of us on GMI.)
    Is there any NEW information to add?

Thanks

You know what I really want to see for the Omega Caddy?

How about a Voltec powertrain, but instead of a 1.4L 4 cylinder, a small turbine?

A British firm is readying small automotive turbines: http://www.bladonjets.com/ They call them "the ultimate range extender".

What could make a more perfect Cadillac than electric propulsion - smooth, torquey and silent? It'd waft along better than any prior Cadillac. Heck, better than any Rolls. And it would put Cadillac in a leauge by itself.

And in case you think electric won't work in this market, puzzle over this question: what's the best selling high-priced sedan at present? S-Class? Nope. 7 Series? Nope. The correct answer is: Tesla Model S.

Thanks

I suspect that Omega is going to be significantly wider than Alpha, and so that both can be built on the same line they'll share exactly spaced manufacturing hard points between the two platforms.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Seems to be two schools of thought to raise brand awareness and the public's perception of excellent quality:
    1. Be content to compete toe to toe.
    2. Raise the bar so high by building something so good that the quality cannot be disputed.

The first shows you can indeed compete with the world, and the 2nd shows you intend on beating the best in the world. But the real intention isn't about beating the best, the real intention is convincing the public that you will and can. Because ultimately it's the public who ultimately decides who builds the "Standard of the World." And it doesn't happen by claims (or clever marketing) it only happens when the public shows they believe it by buying your product(s).

However, given GMs dismal public reputation for jumping ship (or dumping) products mid-stream...if I was their intended fiance I'd not only hesitate to believe any intentions of a proposal...I'd more importantly be thinking about their ability to commit to a long-term relationship(s).
    Last edited by ChopTop; 06-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

They should also include the "Cadillac of Warranties" that includes all standard maintenance for the life of the warranty.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I can hardly wait to see the next Cadillac concept or two!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

If GM is being cautious, then I say good. This is a very expensive leap to take.

But doing 2 or 3 cars (even more expensive, I know) on the platform might provide enough in the way of additonal, incremental sales to help the whole project break even.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I suspect that Omega is going to be significantly wider than Alpha, and so that both can be built on the same line they'll share exactly spaced manufacturing hard points between the two platforms.
    It sounds like Omega is going to be the lightest in yet another segment. I'm Cadillac is applying much of what learned from Alpha to the Omega platform, regarding hard points, welds, and frame fastening. If this is true, I applaud GM for streamlining development the right way.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

if Cadillac is committed to being a Tier 1 brand, this car will happen. If not, Buick will be squeezed by Cadillac and Chevy. the Escalade is a fine vehicle for premium, but its not a sedan, and i feel no matter how good the Escalade is, without a heavy hitter sedan, Cadillac will not be considered, by many luxury buyers, a serious contender. even if they are building better cars than the competition, perception is everything to many.
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information