2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video

Thanks

Re: 2014 Cadillac ELR Spy Video

Quote Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
    Isn't the ELR supposed to have a next gen of the Volt drivetrain?
    More evolution than revolution, though. Lots of nice small improvements, but no fundamental changes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    It won't.

Doesn't the ELR look a bit chunky and less sleek than the concept?
    Of course it does! They always lose sleekness and smoothness and drama getting into production. Guaranteed. But that said, the concept, from the considerable amount we can see, is quite dramatic for a production car. The depth of the falling line along the said is pretty high amplitude for a production car. And the tumblehome in the greenhouse is pretty dramatic, too, for a production car. I think the final car will indeed look pretty dramatic compared to the run of the mill on the road today.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 CADILLACSIXTEEN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra | Z71

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    How will this car help Cadillac's image? Don't you think a flagship is more important right now? C'mon, GM.
    As soon as I read this comment, I thought to myself, "this has to be posted by a 2.4-er".... and sure enough I look to the avatar to the left and there's the 2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC!!!

I do, however, love your avatar photo. YOU REALLY ARE A FUNNY GUY!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I'm picturing a regular ELR, and a ELR-V, with an electric motor at all 4 wheels, wouldn't that be sweet?? A guy can dream
    Wouldnt that just be a Cadillac ELR4 then? Without a performance or a powertrain upgrade, Cadillac's '4' fits the bill of what you are saying. An ELR-V would embarrass the rest of the V-series line.

#shrug #justSaying
    RedSkyBlackDream

Thanks

Typical, a video about a GM car that starts with a Mercedes Ad!

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Now movie stars will be able to go back to driving flash cars to public events...

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    It won't.
    But it's still a car that Cadillac needs.
    I agree. Cadillac needs this car but not at this stage. Along with the flagship, Cadillac really needs a RWD CUV to replace that accident called the SRX. They also really need a great customer experience just as good or better than Lexus.

This really should be a no brainer.
    Last edited by nruggiero; 11-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    I agree Cadillac needs this car but not at this stage.

Then at what stage? A "Flagship" is certainly nice, but an advanced car like the ELR is going to garner far more attention.

Along with the flagship, Cadillac really needs a RWD CUV to replace that accident called the SRX.
    Hilarious. Cadillac went from near-last with the 2004-2009 version, to second best seller in the segment with the lastest SRX and you call it an "accident".

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN View Post
    As soon as I read this comment, I thought to myself, "this has to be posted by a 2.4-er".... and sure enough I look to the avatar to the left and there's the 2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC!!!

I do, however, love your avatar photo. YOU REALLY ARE A FUNNY GUY!!!
    So, if I post 1386 useless posts, I will get a 4.6 L Northstar V8. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't realize there was contest on this site to see who has biggest engine.

Thanks for the complement.

....Douchebag

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Then at what stage? A "Flagship" is certainly nice, but an advanced car like the ELR is going to garner far more attention.

Hilarious. Cadillac went from near-last with the 2004-2009 version, to second best seller in the segment with the lastest SRX and you call it an "accident".
    A car like the ELR is what you do when your brand is successful and prominent. Cadillac is not there yet. We'll see how well the ELR does.

True. But what about Cadillac's image in the luxury market around that time? I remember you could $8,000 off those things. They were simply cheap and unsophisticated.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    doubtful - GM loses money on each Volt don't they? I mean we're all paying a chunk on each one sold?
    No. What you are referring to is whether or not Voltec has been completely paid for, which it hasn't. But like every other car, that cost is amortized. On an individual vehicle basis, the Volts are making GM money. Once they reach the sales volumes required when they were planning the amortization schedule, then voltec as a whole will be considered a money maker. Clear or did I muck that explanation up too much?
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8 (seriously)

Current Rides: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4, 2001 Ford ZX2 (Work commute car) & 2009 Saturn Vue XR (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX & 1998 Honda Civic DX

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I hope Cadillac keeps the styling dramatic, edgy and chiseled, with plenty of "V" shape to the rear deck lid! The door mirrors look the same as the Chevy Volt's in that video--hopefully there will be subtle details throughout the car to further differentiate it from the Volt.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    More evolution than revolution, though. Lots of nice small improvements, but no fundamental changes.
    Correct this is supposed to be the Voltec 1.5 powertrain. Voltec 2.0 will debut with the new D2 platform.

If I had to guess the biggest changes will be that Voltec 1.5 will use the same electric motor as the Spark EV. This electric motor can put down 400ft-lbs of torque and will be held back in the Spark. But I think GM will unleash the motor in the ELR with a different gear ratio to unlock more power out of the motor.

Base on what I have seen the range extender in the ELR is going to be a naturally asperated 2.0L Direct Injected 4 cylinder. A bigger engine provides little performance advantage in Voltec.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I hope the ELR looks like the show car and offers a performance mode with total disregard to range
    Well I think the ELR needs to also bring the ECO cred. I think the ELR needs an ECO mode for max EV range and fuel economy and a KICK ASS! mode (self explained). Easy to program into Voltec.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    As much as people constantly bemoan the lack of a true flagship, they don't materialize without time, investment and R&D.

There never was an ELR vs. a flagship priority dilemma: the Converj was production intent.

What does the ELR do for Cadillac? It establishes the brand as a player in the luxury electrified vehicle segment. The ELR brings with it a lot of street cred and a target demographic.
    ne_one, I agree with you completely. GM is capable of developing different cars in different classes at the same time. And this car will absolutely help Cadillac's image as a leader in high-tech auto solutions. I'd consider buying an ELR, and I doubt I would ever purchase a large flagship (although I believe Cadillac should produce one).

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait for the full on reveal. Considering where it will be priced it Voltec system should have had a Caddy version from the start.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information